A Level Psychology help - The Psychodynamic Approach Watch

frostfly
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Would you say that psychic determinism is a strength or a weakness of the approach? I guess it's a strength because it doesn't blame the individual for their condition, but it could also be a weakness as it might stop the individual from taking personal responsibility.

Please help!
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by honour)
Would you say that psychic determinism is a strength or a weakness of the approach? I guess it's a strength because it doesn't blame the individual for their condition, but it could also be a weakness as it might stop the individual from taking personal responsibility.

Please help!
Determinism can be BOTH a strength and a weakness.

Determinism can be a strength because it shows patterns and can be used to predict future behaviour. For example, if many criminals had a troubled childhood, we can identify children with troubled home lives as people at risk who need help in order to progress and evolve into good members of society. This trend signifies that we can use the past to prevent it from happening again and to help individuals who are at risk. Thus, determinism is an advantage of the psychodynamic approach.

On the other side, determinism can be a weakness because it fails to account for inidividual cases. People react differently to everything that happens in their life, so while a criminal might have had a trouble childhood, a person with a troubled childhood will not necessarily end up being a criminal. As such, determinism is a disadvantage of the psychodynamic approach because it is unrepresentative.
frostfly
Badges: 20
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Michiyo)
Determinism can be BOTH a strength and a weakness.

Determinism can be a strength because it shows patterns and can be used to predict future behaviour. For example, if many criminals had a trouble childhood, we can identify children with troubled home lives as people at risk who need help in order to progress and evolve into good members of society. This trend signifies that we can use the past to prevent it from happening again and to help individuals who are at risk. Thus, determinism is an advantage of the psychodynamic approach.

On the other side, determinism can be a weakness because it fails to account for inidividual cases. People react differently to everything that happens in their life, so while a criminal might have had a trouble childhood, a person with a troubled childhood will not necessarily end up being a criminal. As such, determinism is a disadvantage of the psychodynamic approach because it is unrepresentative.
Thank you so much for explaining this to me! You sound like a true expert in Psychology!
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by honour)
Thank you so much for explaining this to me! You sound like a true expert in Psychology!
You are more than welcome :hugs: I am glad it helped a bit :laugh:

I am no expert. I am just a former AS psychology student who got almost full marks in the exams
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?