Poll: Continue 2 more A-Levels or Join Foundation Year?
Foundation Year (2)
33.33%
2 more A-Levels (4)
66.67%
Lucas hoisa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am an International student who is interested in studying undergraduate course at UK universities, the high school here are 3 years. At the end of this session (my second year) I'm going to have A-Level Maths and 8 IGCSEs, For my last year I was going to take 2 more A-Levels (Physics and Computer Science), I have received an offer from University Of Sheffield to join Science and Engineering foundation year instead of continuing for my last year, But I'm still confused,Is it easier or better for me to continue 2 more A-Levels or to join the Foundation year (Pathway to Engineering) and skip my last year?
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lucas hoisa)
I am an International student who is interested in studying undergraduate course at UK universities, the high school here are 3 years. At the end of this session (my second year) I'm going to have A-Level Maths and 8 IGCSEs, For my last year I was going to take 2 more A-Levels (Physics and Computer Science), I have received an offer from University Of Sheffield to join Science and Engineering foundation year instead of continuing for my last year, But I'm still confused,Is it easier or better for me to continue 2 more A-Levels or to join the Foundation year (Pathway to Engineering) and skip my last year?

Generally speaking a foundation year essentially is the same as redoing your a levels whilst in the 1st year at uni and then going straight onto the course (alternatively, the 1st 2 years of the course with foundation year are essentially the 1st year split into 2 years and covering a level equivalent at the same time). at the end of the day, you will have 2 degrees (the main course + foundation degree) and you can choose to not mention your foundation degree in your resume if you wish. In contrast, redoing your A levels would mean that you would forfeit the place you have been offered and redo the entire application process.

Sheffield is a good university and if I was in that position, I would go for the foundation route but at the end of the day, its your choice.

In anycase, best of luck making a decision.
Lucas hoisa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by quasa)
Generally speaking a foundation year essentially is the same as redoing your a levels whilst in the 1st year at uni and then going straight onto the course (alternatively, the 1st 2 years of the course with foundation year are essentially the 1st year split into 2 years and covering a level equivalent at the same time). at the end of the day, you will have 2 degrees (the main course + foundation degree) and you can choose to not mention your foundation degree in your resume if you wish. In contrast, redoing your A levels would mean that you would forfeit the place you have been offered and redo the entire application process.

Sheffield is a good university and if I was in that position, I would go for the foundation route but at the end of the day, its your choice.

In anycase, best of luck making a decision.
But I am not going to redo 2 A-Levels because it's my first time to take them, This offer will allow me to skip the last year Y12. It's a good choice to choose the foundation year, but some people told me that the foundation year won't have more beneficial information unlike the A-Levels which will enable me to learn more. In addition to A-Levels are more prestigious. And I think that if anyone knew that I took a foundation year he might think that I had bad grades at my A-Levels. And I don't think that I can apply for any other university other than Sheffield with that foundation year. Is that right?
quasa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lucas hoisa)
But I am not going to redo 2 A-Levels because it's my first time to take them,

This offer will allow me to skip the last year Y12.

It's a good choice to choose the foundation year, but some people told me that the foundation year won't have more beneficial information unlike the A-Levels which will enable me to learn more.

In addition to A-Levels are more prestigious.

And I think that if anyone knew that I took a foundation year he might think that I had bad grades at my A-Levels.

And I don't think that I can apply for any other university other than Sheffield with that foundation year.

Is that right?
you would still have to complete A levels and meet their standards before entry (unless sheffiled has explicitly stated that you can go straight onto the course).

regarding A levels being beneficial...thats not really the case tbh. Yes I agree having Good A level grades is a plus vs a foundation degree when looking at future options (in case you dont like engineering) but at the same time, having a foundation degree doesnt mean your dumb.

Regarding the course, Im not too sure what other unis offer it but you can check the UCAS website for more information about the courses.

https://www.ucas.com/
0xFFFFail
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A levels are significantly cheaper so that would be my first concern tbh
TimeWaster
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A foundation degree is different to a foundation year.
Foundation degrees last 2 years usually and are separate from undergraduate degrees.
Foundation years are a part of an undergraduate course where if you meet their pass requirements, you get entry to the first year of the course.
If you don't mind the extra year of tuition fees, go for the foundation year. Otherwise, stay and do your 2 A-Levels first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
23.95%
No (181)
76.05%

Watched Threads