The Student Room Group

Summer job?

Hi,

I would like to get a summer job from the point I finish my alevels in late June till when I start my gap year traveling in late August. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do?

My CV is excellent, have work experience placements and references from many people in the medical field. Would Phlebotomy be possible?
Original post by Cyclosporin
Hi,

I would like to get a summer job from the point I finish my alevels in late June till when I start my gap year traveling in late August. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do?

My CV is excellent, have work experience placements and references from many people in the medical field. Would Phlebotomy be possible?

first of all, interesting username (weird fact, Ive previously had an interview at the place ciclosporin was invented).

my advice would be to just go through your cv with careers people in your sixth form and send CVs all over the place to management staff / department heads (e.g. phelbotomy).

with a cv, make sure it is no more than 2 pages long and you have a covering letter (or email). also make sure to go there in person and enquire dressed smart
/ enquire via telephone for larger organisation.
Hi,

You need a certain level of training for Phlebotomy (at least according to the NHS jobs website) so it's unlikely to be suitable for a student who's just finished A levels.

What are you hoping to gain from your summer job? If you're just looking for gap year funds, then a job in a local shop/ company is probably the best bet. Have a look on careers websites, wander around town looking for those "staff needed" posters, and hand in your CV to local businesses offering your services in their shops/ with admin work etc.

Private tutoring is also a great money earner - ask local primary/ secondary schools if they would be willing to put up a poster advertising you as a summer tutor for kids needing an extra boost before the new school year. There are also loads of websites online for private tutoring. Another options definitely worth considering along these lines is online English tutoring, again just a quick google will bring up lots of options. This would just involve a Skype call to students abroad (often in Asian countries from my experience), and you can teach any level from complete beginners to conversational and IELTS students.

If however, you're more interested in getting some work experience, then looking for voluntary rather than paid work may be easiest.
Thank you for your advice!

I have enough work experience, so this is just about boosting income. I live in London, would that put me at a disadvantage as there are many people unemployed here apparently.

Also, how long before I start working should I start looking for work?

Thank you once again for your help

Original post by dragonkeeper999
You need a certain level of training for Phlebotomy (at least according to the NHS jobs website) so it's unlikely to be suitable for a student who's just finished A levels.

What are you hoping to gain from your summer job? If you're just looking for gap year funds, then a job in a local shop/ company is probably the best bet. Have a look on careers websites, wander around town looking for those "staff needed" posters, and hand in your CV to local businesses offering your services in their shops/ with admin work etc.

Private tutoring is also a great money earner - ask local primary/ secondary schools if they would be willing to put up a poster advertising you as a summer tutor for kids needing an extra boost before the new school year. There are also loads of websites online for private tutoring. Another options definitely worth considering along these lines is online English tutoring, again just a quick google will bring up lots of options. This would just involve a Skype call to students abroad (often in Asian countries from my experience), and you can teach any level from complete beginners to conversational and IELTS students.

If however, you're more interested in getting some work experience, then looking for voluntary rather than paid work may be easiest.
Thank you for your advice!

I have enough work experience, so this is just about boosting income. I live in London, would that put me at a disadvantage as there are many people unemployed here apparently.

Also, how long before I start working should I start looking for work?

Thank you once again for your help

Depends what kind of job you're looking for really. I've spotted "summer staff needed" posters around my town already, and particularly if you're in London where a lot of students will be looking for summer work, you'll need to get in there ASAP for a retail job. You can probably leave it until the start of the summer for temporary admin work type jobs in local companies, who are likely to either have a job that immediately needs doing or no job at all. I've heard of friends who sign up to various agencies for temp jobs online - they'll get really short-term jobs (like one week of filing, helping with moving offices, sending off orders during peak times) and you can just sign up anytime.

Hmmm, yes in London you've got a lot of competition, but at least there are also a large number of jobs going because you have a lot more shops/ restaurants/ bars/ companies :smile:

For private tutoring, if you're looking to ask schools to recommend you to students then make sure you ask them at least a month before the start of their summer holidays. For online English tutoring, just sign up on the day you want to start, there's so many students needing tutors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending