MSc Genomic Medicine - anybody done it/going to do it?

Watch
Omar_Little
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I have a place to do an MPhil course in Genomic medicine at Cambridge. Just wondered if anyone on this forum had done the Genomic Medicine course anywhere it so we can share some inside knowledge? Or share it amongst people about to start/want to start
Omar_Little
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snoopop)
Hi! I've also applied, but yet to have a response! Can you tell me when you applied and when you heard back? I didn't apply until the last day to be fair! Thanks and congratulations!
I'm sure it depends on where you go. I applied to Cambridge on the 22nd Feb and heard back 2-3 weeks ago. I did also apply to Exeter who got back to me within 2 weeks.
Snoopop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Omar_Little)
I'm sure it depends on where you go. I applied to Cambridge on the 22nd Feb and heard back 2-3 weeks ago. I did also apply to Exeter who got back to me within 2 weeks.
Ah thank you! Sorry I forgot to mention I also applied to Cambridge, but really doubt that I'll get an offer. I've been looking a couple of times a day thinking that I'd hear back soon, but now I guess it could be another month yet! I saw that last year 20 people applied, 11 got offers and around 7 accepted? I thought it would be higher than that considering how relevant genomic medicine is now! Have you got your college membership sorted too? Did you have an interview or have to do anything more than the online application form? Thanks!
Omar_Little
Rep:
?
Ah thank you! Sorry I forgot to mention I also applied to Cambridge, but really doubt that I'll get an offer. I've been looking a couple of times a day thinking that I'd hear back soon, but now I guess it could be another month yet! I saw that last year 20 people applied, 11 got offers and around 7 accepted? I thought it would be higher than that considering how relevant genomic medicine is now! Have you got your college membership sorted too?
Where did you get those stats? It seems like so few!! From what I saw the applications are dealt with in batches and from my own experience the process was quite lengthy so don't give up hope. Proportionately those stats are pretty encouraging. I'm going to St. Catherine's and very excited about going to Hinxton up close and personal.
Snoopop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Where did you get those stats? It seems like so few!! From what I saw the applications are dealt with in batches and from my own experience the process was quite lengthy so don't give up hope. Proportionately those stats are pretty encouraging. I'm going to St. Catherine's and very excited about going to Hinxton up close and personal.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf

Hopefully that link works - saw someone asking about the statistics for a different course elsewhere on here!
It was quite lengthy? So there's more involved? I'm quite worried about my statement of interests, I really didn't know what I should include and how to make it interesting but I guess all I can do now is wait and see.
That's amazing - congratulations!
Omar_Little
Rep:
?
Wow that is interesting. Although it wouldn't have made any difference to me, I was going to apply to regardless. The most effective way to not secure a place is not to apply for one!
Snoopop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wow that is interesting. Although it wouldn't have made any difference to me, I was going to apply to regardless. The most effective way to not secure a place is not to apply for one!
Yes same here, but interesting statistics nonetheless! I'm thinking a lot more would have applied this year. Very true, no harm in trying - hopefully meet you there in October
langers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi guys, I've just got to send my transcript to Cambridge and my place is confirmed! Who else is going? We should create a group chat or something. Send me a message on here if you're going, and we could sort something out on Facebook
Healthscience82
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I have a question regarding to Genomic Medicine course that you applied to at Cambridge. Did you applied straight from undergrad? Was there any one on one interview? what is your background of study and did you get a first?

Many thanks
Omar_Little
Rep:
?
Mine wasn't straight from undergrad as I had worked for two and a half years postgraduate before applying. My interview was by phone but they prefer Skype if you aren't there in person (I was in Malawi at the time, technical issues).
I have a medical background and graduated from medical school and a post-grad diploma with a distinction. I don't know if it was those that got me the place or not!
Snoopop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I got an offer! can someone message me the Facebook group?
Healthscience82
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey I got an offer! can someone message me the Facebook group?
Congratulation. May I also know your background as well.

Thank you
Healthscience82
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Mine wasn't straight from undergrad as I had worked for two and a half years postgraduate before applying. My interview was by phone but they prefer Skype if you aren't there in person (I was in Malawi at the time, technical issues).
I have a medical background and graduated from medical school and a post-grad diploma with a distinction. I don't know if it was those that got me the place or not!
Thanks wonderful, I am currently doing podiatry but I won't finish until 2 More years. Our school has a Genomic medicine program but I really would love to go to Cambridge for their Genomic medicine program. I am planning to gain some experience and do some attachment. Are there any tips you would recommend. A note I am
an mature student!
Snoopop
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Healthscience82)
Congratulation. May I also know your background as well.

Thank you
I'm 21, coming straight from a Biomedical Science degree. One of my main modules in final year was clinical genomics. I wasn't asked to come to Cambridge in person; I had a telephone interview.
Healthscience82
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 21, coming straight from a Biomedical Science degree. One of my main modules in final year was clinical genomics. I wasn't asked to come to Cambridge in person; I had a telephone interview.

Thank you so much, what did you get in your biomedical science degree? was it from a RG university?
sakeuriticus
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have an offer from Sheffield for Genomic Medicine. They seem to cater more for students not currently employed by the NHS, or at least have a more tailored programme with different part-time options. Plus, a lot cheaper to live there than other cities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (11)
12.79%
I need help researching courses (7)
8.14%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.81%
I need help with my personal statement (35)
40.7%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (22)
25.58%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.33%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.65%

Watched Threads