The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics AS thread, 5th & 8th June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by 3mmz
Erm a 25 marker

Most of the time its 'is parliament sovereign'

Devolution Act 1999

This has given Scotland,Wales and NI legislative powers.Especially important in Scotland as it has primary legislative powers in areas as education,it would be incoseivable for the gov to retract these powers and the devolution act.

Altough it is very unlikely that gov would retract these powers legaly they still can and in a ever changing political climate who knows what may happen.

Free to go to Uni if you live in Scotland where as the rest of the UK has to pay up to 9k a year.

HRA 1998

It is legaly bidning on all bodys apart from Parliament and even P/Gov would not go against it as it has such great moral force and mass support from the public ,as they are accountable they will not want to become unpopular especially at elections.

Legally it is not binding on Parlimnet so they could act against it if they wished,however such actions would receive uproar and would be detremtal to a party as the HRA has such moral force

Eu

The EU has competency in certain areas of policy(basesd on treaties) e.g. consumer protection,in these areas EU law is superior to Uk law so Uk law cannot class with it and UK courts must enforce it.=pooled sovereignty.

Parliament has triggerd article 50 so we have started the leaving progress which once complete will restore soveriengty given to the EU , we have also alwqays had a option to do this.

Article 50 was t riggerd in late march of this year.

Factortame 1991 EU law was superior to UK on fishing

Referendums

It has become a constitutional convention to hold a referdum if a decision will affect constitutional arangements ,this returns political soveriengty back to the people for a short time and away from parliament.

Results of referendums are not legaly binding but it is unheard of to go against a result as people have expressed there consent for the decision,however recently in the election run up Lib Dems have said they would call another referudum therefor going against original outcome.

Lib Dem manifesto 2017 pledge to hold a second referendum.

Even votes with small majority e.g.Wales devolution 50.3 still accepted.
I am gonna do democracy and elections for unit one, but I am not sure if I should cram pressure groups revision over the half term.
Original post by MajorFader
I am gonna do democracy and elections for unit one, but I am not sure if I should cram pressure groups revision over the half term.

I'm the same...I feel like I should just in case one of the democracy or elections questions is horrid
Original post by hxfsxh
I'm the same...I feel like I should just in case one of the democracy or elections questions is horrid

I feel so conflicted. :frown:
I feel so conflicted. :frown:

Same :/
Original post by hxfsxh

How far is your revision for unit 2?
Reply 86

If i were you I would try and learn 3

After last years paper it should be a warning
The democracy qu 25 marker was really hard as it asked about devolution. Edexcel were really harsh last year.
They could do the same again and bring in the EU

I'm good for Constitution, ongoing for Parliament and I've not started Judiciary yet
Reply 88
How do you guys cope with timing? I find it really hard to do a minute a mark.
if you guys ike i'll email/post a link to my pressure groups revision notes???
Original post by hxfsxh
Original post by lonyeka
How do you guys cope with timing? I find it really hard to do a minute a mark.

This is the trouble I'm having. I know the content but getting everything down in the exam timing is an absolute nightmare. I've ended up missing questions because of this.

I've decided to come up with an essay plan before my exams, which I got the ideas from two videos on passing Edexcel Politics AS Unit 1 and Unit 2.

If anyone has any advice it would be really useful.
I think I've got my timing down, having practiced it since I started the course in September. I've gotten into the habit of being able to write a concise 5 marker in 3 mins, a 10 in 12 mins (only unit 2 where you might need 4 points) and 25 and 40 respectively.
If you're having issues, you might want to do some work on figuring out what's relevant and what's not. Also, stick to a Point, Evidence, Explanation, Limitation technique.
Reply 92
Has anyone got predictions
Since we are the last year going through the questions are either going to be horrid or incredibly easy to prevent the number of retakes.
Reply 94
Original post by LaMemeDeDank
Since we are the last year going through the questions are either going to be horrid or incredibly easy to prevent the number of retakes.

That's true
Last years was horrid
Even the unit 2 constitution question was tricky
Just finished flashcards for judiciary and executive. Almost finished for constitution. It's a matter of memorising them now over this half term. How is everyone getting on with their revision?
Reply 96
Just finished flashcards for judiciary and executive. Almost finished for constitution. It's a matter of memorising them now over this half term. How is everyone getting on with their revision?

This is exactly what I need to do....

How do you find the judicary?
Original post by 3mmz
Has anyone got predictions

For Parties i am predicting a 25marker on the ideology of the Conservative party
Reply 98
Original post by SuperHuman98
For Parties i am predicting a 25marker on the ideology of the Conservative party

Democracy elections
Reply 99
guys which three units from unit 1 would you suggest i learn

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending