The Student Room Group

>>>>>> TYPING vs WRITING <<<<<<

I recently bought a laptop which I decided to put to good use by making notes on it as opposed to on paper/flashcards. The question, and it's a simple one, is typing notes worse than writing them?

Extra info:
∆I make notes faster by typing than by writing
∆I can't comment on whether I remember less/more by typing as opposed to writing as I have only recently decided to experiment
∆I feel more productive by typing instead of writing because I am obviously getting more done in a given time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Apparently, human brains learn better from handwritten notes. However, if you feel you are getting more out of typing than perhaps try and vary your note taking style. e.g.

1. Make mind maps on the computer
2. Mix it up! Make your notes half and half!
3. Make it a revision exercise by typing out hand-written notes or vice-versa.
4. Do what YOU feel is most effective.

Speaking from personal experience, I find that by mixing my styles of note taking I can differentiate between my subjects more easily!
Hope this helps!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Moltenmo
I recently bought a laptop which I decided to put to good use by making notes on it as opposed to on paper/flashcards. The question, and it's a simple one, is typing notes worse than writing them?

Extra info:
∆I make notes faster by typing than by writing
∆I can't comment on whether I remember less/more by typing as opposed to writing as I have only recently decided to experiment
∆I feel more productive by typing instead of writing because I am obviously getting more done in a given time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I always feel productive in the sense I can write more out by typing, and don't get hand strain from it. However, as a touch typist I typically feel as though I get very little out of it in terms of remembering. I prefer typing up notes first (so I have a nice legible copy to refer to) and also hand written notes. I just feel as though I get more out of hand written notes as I am putting more effort in than I do when I type things up. It will take a bit of experimenting to get used to, and you may find that it becomes more effective due to finding a pace that suits you. I often find typed up notes more useful in the sense I can find them again easier, I tend to forget what booklets I handwrite my notes in, but I always ensure that I have them handwritten as well - it's more about organisation. Having typed notes and handwritten notes is useful because one can serve as a backup to the other - e.g. if you only have handwritten notes and spill something over them it can mean putting in more work than usual (although perhaps that'll help with revision!)

http://learning-styles-online.com/overview/ is a great website in that it talks about the different learning styles, and how best to revise for those learning styles. You may find utilising the tips on there useful.
Reply 3
Original post by Funky_Me
Apparently, human brains learn better from handwritten notes. However, if you feel you are getting more out of typing than perhaps try and vary your note taking style. e.g.

1. Make mind maps on the computer
2. Mix it up! Make your notes half and half!
3. Make it a revision exercise by typing out hand-written notes or vice-versa.
4. Do what YOU feel is most effective.

Speaking from personal experience, I find that by mixing my styles of note taking I can differentiate between my subjects more easily!
Hope this helps!! :biggrin:

When you say you like to mix your styles of note taking, are you talking in reference to one subject or mixing your style of note taking with different subjects? E.g. typing for history whereas writing for science or typing and writing for science? Thanks for replying

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by EmmaCx
I always feel productive in the sense I can write more out by typing, and don't get hand strain from it. However, as a touch typist I typically feel as though I get very little out of it in terms of remembering. I prefer typing up notes first (so I have a nice legible copy to refer to) and also hand written notes. I just feel as though I get more out of hand written notes as I am putting more effort in than I do when I type things up. It will take a bit of experimenting to get used to, and you may find that it becomes more effective due to finding a pace that suits you. I often find typed up notes more useful in the sense I can find them again easier, I tend to forget what booklets I handwrite my notes in, but I always ensure that I have them handwritten as well - it's more about organisation. Having typed notes and handwritten notes is useful because one can serve as a backup to the other - e.g. if you only have handwritten notes and spill something over them it can mean putting in more work than usual (although perhaps that'll help with revision!)

http://learning-styles-online.com/overview/ is a great website in that it talks about the different learning styles, and how best to revise for those learning styles. You may find utilising the tips on there useful.

This is the same as what my sibling does. So you type first and then write them after. However, isn't this time-consuming? I could see this working early on in the year but since I have less than a month till my exams, should I be typing *and* writing? Thanks for the extended response :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
This is the same as what my sibling does. So you type first and then write them after. However, isn't this time-consuming? I could see this working early on in the year but since I have less than a month till my exams, should I be typing *and* writing? Thanks for the extended response :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It can be time consuming, but if you manage your time correctly and are really focused with your note-taking then it is not normally an issue. Plus, spending extra time with revision isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are working through re-writing each of the books you need, then yes it would be too much but if you are just extracting the main points / quotes / explanations and changing them into your own words etc then you will find that there may be less to write than you thought. If typing and writing is not working for you, then I would say you still have time to switch to another method. You can always play around with testing yourself after using each method and seeing what one works better for you.
Reply 6
Original post by EmmaCx
It can be time consuming, but if you manage your time correctly and are really focused with your note-taking then it is not normally an issue. Plus, spending extra time with revision isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you are working through re-writing each of the books you need, then yes it would be too much but if you are just extracting the main points / quotes / explanations and changing them into your own words etc then you will find that there may be less to write than you thought. If typing and writing is not working for you, then I would say you still have time to switch to another method. You can always play around with testing yourself after using each method and seeing what one works better for you.

I think I already spend enough time with my revision and that's another issue. For instance, making tables on my laptop is so much quicker but if I was to draw tables on paper, it would take far longer. What do you mean by "re-writing each of the books you need"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
When you say you like to mix your styles of note taking, are you talking in reference to one subject or mixing your style of note taking with different subjects? E.g. typing for history whereas writing for science or typing and writing for science? Thanks for replying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats Exactly what I mean! I type up my PE on my phone and handwrite my Chemistry, I also type up my English revision and handwrite my History!
Reply 8
Original post by Funky_Me
Thats Exactly what I mean! I type up my PE on my phone and handwrite my Chemistry, I also type up my English revision and handwrite my History!

Ahhh OK. That's a cool idea. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest