horiphin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the answers for this question:

Invertase breaks down sucrose into glucose.
In modified plants where invertase is inserted into the potato tubers, the unloading of sucrose is increased in the tubers compared with those that were not modified.
The transport of sucrose to the tubers was also increased in the modified plants.
Deduce a possible mechanism for the increased unloading and transport of sucrose in the modified plants. (4 marks)

I got the first two marks by saying that there is less sucrose at the sink due to it being broken down into glucose, which increases the sucrose concentration between the source and sink, but the answers also say that the solute gradient is increased and water removal from the phloem increases pressure gradient between source and sink. Surely that shouldn't be contributing to more unloading, since there will be more solute at the sink, which means less water will diffuse out instead of more water being removed from the phloem, which would decrease the pressure gradient?
AbiCEyre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would co-transport get you a mark as that's how glucose is transported into and out of cells?
Inister
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There will be less solute at the sink. The sucrose will be broken down into glucose, which will exit the phloem and will be taken up by cells. Water follows the glucose out of the phloem by osmosis. Therefore, the phloem at the sinks will have a lower pressure than the sources, so the gradient is increased, so mass flow of sucrose increases
horiphin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Inister)
There will be less solute at the sink. The sucrose will be broken down into glucose, which will exit the phloem and will be taken up by cells. Water follows the glucose out of the phloem by osmosis. Therefore, the phloem at the sinks will have a lower pressure than the sources, so the gradient is increased, so mass flow of sucrose increases
Thank you so much!!
horiphin
Rep:
?
(Original post by AbiCEyre)
Would co-transport get you a mark as that's how glucose is transported into and out of cells?
Ah, there was nothing in the mark scheme about co transport specifically
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads