How to get an A overall in GCSE French?

Watch
Api00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi there, I really want to get an A in GCSE French overall and I was wondering what grades/marks would I need(in both controlled assessments and exams) to obtain this? In my writings I've got a B+(which I'm going to re-do and hope for an A*) & I've also got an A* in my other writing. Also, I got a B+ for my first speaking and preparing for another one in which I hope to get an A*. Also I'm sitting higher for listening paper(so hope to get an A*) & foundation for reading, so would I be able to qualify for an A with 65% A*, 15% B+ and 20% C ?
Sorry it's so long, but this is really important for me to know. Thank you!
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
Hi there, I really want to get an A in GCSE French overall and I was wondering what grades/marks would I need(in both controlled assessments and exams) to obtain this? In my writings I've got a B+(which I'm going to re-do and hope for an A*) & I've also got an A* in my other writing. Also, I got a B+ for my first speaking and preparing for another one in which I hope to get an A*. Also I'm sitting higher for listening paper(so hope to get an A*) & foundation for reading, so would I be able to qualify for an A with 65% A*, 15% B+ and 20% C ?
Yes, using those weightings, even assuming that you scrape each grade.
__SiMx__
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would say really focus on your writing controlled assessment, it's good you're gonna redo that one, so make sure you tick everything off on the criteria. Also, do a lot of past papers and learn all your verbs and vocabulary. I would suggest to download the specification vocabulary and highlights the words you do not know and learn them.
Api00
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
Yes, using those weightings, even assuming that you scrape each grade.
So with those percentages are you saying I would be able to get an A?
Api00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simba17)
I would say really focus on your writing controlled assessment, it's good you're gonna redo that one, so make sure you tick everything off on the criteria. Also, do a lot of past papers and learn all your verbs and vocabulary. I would suggest to download the specification vocabulary and highlights the words you do not know and learn them.
My teacher has given me the vocab booklet which has all the vocab I need for the exams. If I just learn them would that be enough to get me an A* in listening and a high C in reading(Cos I'm doing foundation for reading )
Also, is 2 weeks enough to revise for French and still get an A?

Thank you!!
kateatcollege
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was never great at French, but I used Memrise . I thought this really helped with vocab
Api00
Rep:
?
(Original post by kateatcollege)
I was never great at French, but I used Memrise . I thought this really helped with vocab
What did you get in GCSE French?
__SiMx__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
My teacher has given me the vocab booklet which has all the vocab I need for the exams. If I just learn them would that be enough to get me an A* in listening and a high C in reading(Cos I'm doing foundation for reading )
Also, is 2 weeks enough to revise for French and still get an A?

Thank you!!
It depends how much effort you want to put in to French compared to all your other subjects. So if you really want an A in French, you're really gonna have to put a lot of time and revision into French than your other subjects.

I think the fact that you are doing foundation for reading may affect your overall grade slightly. But that all depends on if you manage to score really highly in the other area (e.g. writing, speaking and listening). So I believe it is still possible if you put a lot of time and effort into mainly French.

Quick edit: Congrats on getting an A* in writing! I missed the A* by 1 mark each time for writing and speaking and I was so annoyed
kateatcollege
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I got an A
(Original post by Api00)
What did you get in GCSE French?
__SiMx__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've heard of Memrise but I've never used it lol! I used Duolingo for a while and stopped idk why. But I find that using Quizlet to learn vocab really really really helps!!! I still continue to use Quizlet to test myself on all my vocab and now I'm practically flying through pages of vocab in days!!
kateatcollege
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've heard of Memrise but I've never used it lol! I used Duolingo for a while and stopped idk why. But I find that using Quizlet to learn vocab really really really helps!!! I still continue to use Quizlet to test myself on all my vocab and now I'm practically flying through pages of vocab in days!!
Just keep working hard. Whats the saying .. hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard .
You'll do great, good luck
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
if the weightings are 65:15:20

Then worst case (assuming all grades are to the lowest possible UMS)

Then UMS % = 81%
__SiMx__
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just keep working hard. Whats the saying .. hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard .
Aww thank you! That's actually quite a reassuring saying! Good luck to you also! Xx
DamnDaniel2
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aim for really high marks for the controlled assessments! I got 100% in both my writing controlled assessments which was worth 30% altogether.

I got a mid A and a low A in both the speaking controlled assessments which was worth another 30%.

I only needed to get a B (about 24/40 marks in both papers) in the reading and listening for an A overall. So as you can see if you do the most now and the highest in the controlled assessments it will make the exams easier and less stress will be required!

Also a tip for the reading and listening. Learn your vocab! This seems obvious but it's not emphasised enough because it's soo important. There are some words which you can get away with not knowing cos you can guess them.

Another tip is to listen to audio so you can easily understand what the people are saying for the listening exam. I struggled a lot in my mocks cos I didn't know what the words sounded like from a different person. I only knew what they sounded like coming from my mouth which was quite different from the audio.

Im not saying this as a joke lol these tips will honestly help you a lot! It got me from Ds in both listening and reading to getting 100% (40/40) in the reading for my real exam and 31/40 (a mark off an A*) for the real listening exam
Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
HHJ11
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing foundation listening but higher reading.

In my last set of mocks, I got an E in listening and a C (1 mark off a B) in reading, but I have four pieces of coursework all at a A*, so I literally just need 16 UMS more to scrape an A overall which I believe I can do, but learning vocab is tedious.
Api00
Rep:
?
(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
if the weightings are 65:15:20

Then worst case (assuming all grades are to the lowest possible UMS)

Then UMS % = 81%
What does that mean? Is it enough for an A?
Api00
Rep:
?
It depends how much effort you want to put in to French compared to all your other subjects. So if you really want an A in French, you're really gonna have to put a lot of time and revision into French than your other subjects.

I think the fact that you are doing foundation for reading may affect your overall grade slightly. But that all depends on if you manage to score really highly in the other area (e.g. writing, speaking and listening). So I believe it is still possible if you put a lot of time and effort into mainly French.

Quick edit: Congrats on getting an A* in writing! I missed the A* by 1 mark each time for writing and speaking and I was so annoyed
Yes I but want to get a*s (and a's in my harder subjects) so I can't exactly spend the most amount of time on French. People usually say to learn vocabulary and that's enough for an A, so I was Just planning to do that. Honestly I thought I would spend the least amount of time on French cos everyone says it's just learning vocabulary and u could still get an A
Api00
Rep:
?
Hopefully thanks for the confidence
Ukvoltaire
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
I am sure you can get an A overall with those weightings. I am currently doing GCSE French as well and I got C and B for my writing and 2B's in my Speaking. I am doing higher tier for both reading and listening so I am hoping to get an A* in both.
So I think I can manage to get an A with 40% A*, 45% B and 15% C.
username2752874
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Api00)
What does that mean? Is it enough for an A?
80% UMS is an A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads