The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Scroll to see replies

I would DEFINATELY go for Dundee. I have a friend studying medicine there who is loving it. Also I went to the St. Andrews open day yesterday and it was dire, the guy actually said "come here if you want to do clinical research". It's so science based, and personally I would get bored in such a small town.
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Libertinus Septentrionalis

Realistically though, Edinburgh is inevitably going to be enormously better equipped and is far more research based, attracting the finest academics. St Andrews is closer to the American conception of a liberal arts college. It's very good at what it does - and with a student community second to none north of the border - but it is a quite different variety of institution.

This description bears absolutely no resemblence to the St Andrews I studied science at or visited for a professional research meeting last week. It has some of the largest and best equipped scientific research departments in Scotland and is a research leader in scientific research, housing the directorship of the EastChem research school, which includes the School of Chemistry at Edinburgh and is a major part of the Scottish Universities Physics Alliance. The University also houses a world class structural biology centre.

I think you would struggle to find a single academic in the sciences who thought that the academic staff in either the chemistry, biology or physics departments were not first class researchers and the University has produced several scientific Nobel prize winners. Now as far as I am aware, the liberal arts colleges aren't so interested in the sciences so I can only ascribe your comparison to ignorance of the quantity and quality of scientific research that goes on at St Andrews (unsuprising given what you study). Research PIs that negate institution size show the St Andrews is very closely matched with Edinburgh.
Reply 22
Well where would ou rather live?

I think St Andrews would be great for medicine as you could get 3 years of unique uni experience in a small town and then you get 3 years in a city with a more typical uni experience.
Dundee is apparently harder to get into and has better prospects because:

The hospital (Ninewells) is a teaching hospital (i don't think St Andrews has one, not sure?)

and the local private school, High School of Dundee, is pretty much a pre-medical school. (I'd say at least 40% in the two 6th form years aspire to do medicine with almost that amount have dundee their # 1 choice.)
Lou_
Well where would ou rather live?

I think St Andrews would be great for medicine as you could get 3 years of unique uni experience in a small town and then you get 3 years in a city with a more typical uni experience.

So you weren't content with ditching me to go to St Andrews, you're now trying to get other TSR randoms to join you? I'm hurt Lou! :p:
Reply 25
SmilerNuts
So you weren't content with ditching me to go to St Andrews, you're now trying to get other TSR randoms to join you? I'm hurt Lou! :p:

Pffft I didn't ditch you! :p:
You should have applied to St Andrews!... because it is awesome :biggrin:
Lou_
Pffft I didn't ditch you! :p:
You should have applied to St Andrews!... because it is awesome :biggrin:

You promised for months you'd come to Aberdeen and then *bang* (that's the door slamming as you run away and ditch me!) :p:
St Andrews sucks, you were just saying how boring it is! Aberdeen is way better :biggrin:
Reply 27
when did I say St Andrews was boring?
I love it here!!
Zoology soc...
I can get a quote if you want :biggrin:

It's ok but not a patch on Aberdeen
Reply 29
I said it was boring before I got there but now I'm here I don't think it is so HA :p:
You said it was boring 2 days ago! So unless you got there really late...
1-0 to Steve :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending