xBeautifulMind
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
If there are any parents of teenagers on here, could you please tell me your perspective on parent-teen arguments?
I argue with my parents quite a lot, often over very small mundane things. I often feel as though my parents start arguments with me because they're bored, or because they want to get a reaction out of me so that they'll have an excuse to tell me off.
I feel as though my parents do not understand me, but they tell me they do because they were "young once". However, whenever I try to talk to them about how I feel (e.g. stressed about exams, lonely etc), they show no empathy at all and act as if my feelings are invalid.
I've lived under the same roof as them for almost 18 years, yet they do not know me at all. They think they do- but in actual fact, they only know who they want me to be.

It is not just me who feels like this. A lot of my friends feel the same way about their parents.

So parents, what is your perspective on this? I would love to hear your opinions. Perhaps it would help me understand my own parents better. I do try, but it's hard when I feel like they're always against me for no reason.
Artjen
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My parents were a bit like this. The only consolation I can offer is that when you become a parent, you will hopefully be much more empathetic than they are. I hope I am. But parenting is difficult, believe it or not, and so difficult that many parents forget how difficult it is being a teenager.
zebra67
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm sorry your parents are not good listeners. Listening (as long as they aren't having a go at me) is one thing I do well with my teens. I really would need to hear your parents' side to offer much more perspective. Do you have support elsewhere in your life, good friends you can talk to?
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You're practically an adult now, and transitioning through that phase when you separate from your parents, in terms of emotional, psychological and financial dependence and frequently note their faults and weaknesses. We're all human, and seldom who others want us to be. If you're looking for empathy, you may need to develop other support networks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads