Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I noticed that with Warwick you can do extra credits on the MORSE degree doing 24 extra credits in the first year and then the following 3 years you can do 30 extra credits.

eg on a normal academic course you can take 120 credits a year, However on Warwicks Maths course should I want to I could take 180 credits in a year apparently.

That is what I have been told the documents wont open for me so i cannot personally verify until I go somewhere with better internet connection.

So I was wondering is this something unique to Warwick or are there other universities that also allow this? if so what ones?

Does it cost extra to do more credits?

I know Oxford and Cambridge apparently dont have credits they have their own thing but could you do an extra unit or two at Oxbridge?

Hypothetically if one was doing exceptionally well at Warwick Eg strong first could they potentially with some pleading and arm twisting be allowed to do extra credits in the summer resit periods as first sits? and thus potentially end up coming out with two full degrees?

This extra credit stuff really interests me as I usually find the Academic work load is hardly overwhelming.
monkyvirus
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Most unis allow it, I think, but don't recommend it. Best to check with admissions at specific unis and usually you need "permission" to do anything unusual from your academic tutor.

I would personally spend the extra time getting work experience, being active in societies, taking on student rep roles and/or learning a new skill. Unless you really really want to do a specific extra module there's better uses of your time.
Luke7456
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by monkyvirus)
Most unis allow it, I think, but don't recommend it. Best to check with admissions at specific unis and usually you need "permission" to do anything unusual from your academic tutor.

I would personally spend the extra time getting work experience, being active in societies, taking on student rep roles and/or learning a new skill. Unless you really really want to do a specific extra module there's better uses of your time.
I only have ideas 2 societies I would join most likely I would have to create one is the Donald Trump appreciation society which i dont think they would allow because of censorship on campuses etc

the second is Trading society where we talked about investment strategy which I dont think they would allow because gambling etc.

Work Experience is a good shout but I think it depends on what that work experience is I am 32 I have quite a bit of work experience if it is work experience directly developing me for a career path i would like then great. However if the work experience is working behind a bar I cant see that adding to my CV and I can make more money online doing my own thing.

learning new skills such as programming might be an idea but then learning programming for maths sounds like it would be covered by course modules.

people might be right about the work load but again I recently met a girl from Southampton university who is a third year on their maths course. Nice person anyway she said the workload in the first two years very light and not really much at all and the third year workload was manageable which basically means not very light however not a lot either.

Now I know Southampton is not right at the top for Mathematics but their entry requirements are still AAA so I am thinking their wont be much in it for say Southampton vs Manchester in terms of workload or standard. Now maybe Nottingham and Bristol etc have higher workload or tougher course but not sure how much. I would guess Warwick course would be more intense though but to what extent? If I get to university and it is not much workload then i generally would feel I am wasting my time if not taking extra credits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads