PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Motion of No Confidence in Her Majesty's Government

Proposed by: Hon. Connor27 (LIBER)

Seconded by: Hon. Unown Uzer MP (UKIP); Hon. Fleky 6910 MP (CON); Rt. Hon. Hazzer 1998 MP (LIB); Hon. Britboy3456 MP (UKIP); Hon. ATW1 MP (UKIP); Hon. Wilhuff Tarkin MP (CON)

This house has no confidence in her Majesty's Government and demands that the Prime Minister calls a general election.

The governing coalition's budget has clearly lost in division by a comfortable margin, this shows that the Prime Minster and his cabinet are out of touch with the real world - this government is simply not fit for purpose.

In addition to this, the government has been extremely poor in its output of SoIs; with two of the great offices of state (Home and Defence) being filled by passive Secretaries of State that haven't released SoIs.

Finally, in terms of real life timings, we currently have the exam season coming up, if the term is allowed to run to its conclusion, as the Prime Minister's recent comments have eluded to, then the election will clash with public examinations, which will decrease activity drastically.

The signatories now call on the house to remove the government from office and trigger a general election; as is the long held precedent when supply Bills such as a budget fail.

Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I shall say the same as when I was asked to second it, the early election should be the focus, and that should be the subject of the motion. Exams is also not a good argument, elections are often held during exams and doing it before exams should be just as "bad" because you should all be busy studying. I also find it amusing that the proposers talk of precedent that doesn't exist.
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The easiest (hypothetical) aye of my time in this house.
LifeIsFine
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
The easiest aye of my time in this house.
Well it is your motion isn't it...
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
The easiest aye of my time in this house.
There is one small problem with that *looks at UGs*
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
There is one small problem with that *looks at UGs*
Edited.
Birchington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I would need to be strongly convinced before I support this motion. The government has released some decent legislation and has been relatively stable, certainly in contrast to previous Parliaments. I'm not sure exam season can be used to justify this either.
BobBobson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If the government can't pass a budget, they are by definition a failed government. Time for a new one.
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Couldn't even get the leader of the opposition to back this? Lol try again.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by BobBobson)
If the government can't pass a motion, they are by definition a failed government. Time for a new one.
The government should never be putting forwards motions.
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The government should never be putting forwards motions.
:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I meant budget
Paracosm
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)
I would need to be strongly convinced before I support this motion. The government has released some decent legislation and has been relatively stable, certainly in contrast to previous Parliaments. I'm not sure exam season can be used to justify this either.
Completely agree.

This is unjustified and there's no need for it as far as I'm concerned. Very knee-jerk-y.

No way.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I must apologise for the lack of a Defence SOI but I have been busy with my final year of University. However, I can assure everyone that the SOI itself is written it just needs costings which I will endeavor to do over the next few days seeing as I now have a few days respite from other work. I do hope the rest of the house can reflect on our large output of legislation this term, and our stability, to allow us to see it through to the end.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I want to see an early General Election, however, this MoNC should not have been submitted because wanting an early General Election is not a reasons to remove a government. The government is not the best government, however, by standards of governments in the past, this government is not the worst one to form.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
:innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: I meant budget
No solid precedent. Given the MHoC is as bad as the US Senate when it comes to partisanship on major votes the passage of budgets is hardly common, the more worrying thing is just how many government MPs were dissenting.
BobBobson
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No solid precedent. Given the MHoC is as bad as the US Senate when it comes to partisanship on major votes the passage of budgets is hardly common, the more worrying thing is just how many government MPs were dissenting.
The Democrats are the partisan ones. The republicans can't even pass an Obamacare repeal.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by notneb)
I must apologise for the lack of a Defence SOI but I have been busy with my final year of University. However, I can assure everyone that the SOI itself is written it just needs costings which I will endeavor to do over the next few days seeing as I now have a few days respite from other work. I do hope the rest of the house can reflect on our large output of legislation this term, and our stability, to allow us to see it through to the end.
With the Peace Corps bill passing, your Statement of intent will about cutting spending by 20% to pay for the peace corps: costing should be quick when you have decided what to get rid of.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Democrats are the partisan ones. The republicans can't even pass an Obamacare repeal.
That's because Ryan is fighting McCain for cuck of the year
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
With the Peace Corps bill passing, your Statement of intent will about cutting spending by 20% to pay for the peace corps: costing should be quick when you have decided what to get rid of.
Not necessarily, the SOI is very generous to all the forces IMO and there is new 'equipment' I want to purchase for our country as well as a few extra things that I think the house will unite behind.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If a government is to be judged on output of SoIs then every government up until a couple of years ago was a failed government as SoIs didn't yet exist. We've focused upon legislation and I make no apology for us doing so.

This talk of 'long-held precedent' from a fairly new member is also surprising, even more so when this precedent does not exist.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (231)
60.95%
No (79)
20.84%
Not sure (69)
18.21%

Watched Threads