Getting into Uni with a Extended Diploma?

Watch
murdering
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm in Y12 and I'm currently doing a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Graphic Design.

I'm expected to get one of the higher grades..

What are my options about uni? Can i even get into uni with a l3 diploma??
Or should i just switch to a levels?

I didnt originally want to do A levels because i thought they'd be too demanding, and because doing one subject which i love for 2 years with no exams sounded better than several exams in several subjects..

Help is appreciated

tom
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by murdering)
Hi,

I'm in Y12 and I'm currently doing a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Graphic Design.

I didnt originally want to do A levels because i thought they'd be too demanding, and because doing one subject which i love for 2 years with no exams sounded better than several exams in several subjects..

Help is appreciated

tom
You need to check the entry requirements for the courses you want to apply for. Some accept BTEC, some don't.
murdering
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by JamesN88)
You need to check the entry requirements for the courses you want to apply for. Some accept BTEC, some don't.
Its not btec??
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Help is appreciated

tom
Assuming its equivalent of 3 A-levels then yeah, you probably can get into most universities with it. Also depending on what course it is you want to do in uni
JamesN88
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its not btec??
My mistake, that's still what you need to do though.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Help is appreciated

tom
Assuming that Graphic Design has the same purpose as Art & Design, you should be OK:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/media/arts/abo...and-Design.pdf

The content of the UAL Level 3 Diploma in Art & Design was developed collaboratively with representatives from universities, further education colleges and 6th form colleges to ensure that it provides students with the skills, knowledge and understanding they need to progress into higher education, further education or other training opportunities.

The qualification is recognised as fulfilling entry requirements to a range of higher education courses, either in its own right or alongside other Level 3 qualifications, by institutions including Arts University Bournemouth, Ravensbourne, University for the Creative Arts and Leeds College of Art. The qualification attracts 36, 64 and 84 UCAS tariff points for Pass, Merit and Distinction grades respectively.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If it isnt a BTEC then you need to check carefully with each Uni before you apply.

Some Unis (typically those that make 'points' offers not grade offers) are okay with other 'extended diplomas' like City & Guilds, some are not. This is because they are vocational quals not academic and may not prepare you adequately for degree level work. It also depends on the subject of the C&G etc and the subject/course you are interested in. Some Unis may ask for an additional A level (especially for STEM subjects) typically in Maths, Science etc. Usually they would accept this done after the C&G/BTEC etc but always check.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Help is appreciated

tom
The ual extended diplomas are widely accepted for art and design university degrees.

If you're not entirely sure that graphic design is the degree for you then a broader based set of qualifications (btecs/A level or a combination) would give you more options about university degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads