The Student Room Group

Why was Dr. Dao asked to leave the plane?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladymusiclover
If no one volunteers what is the correct procedure?

To tell the employees to get a different plane. This should've been sorted at the gate.
Original post by joe cooley
Obviously, none of the others reacted as badly as Dao so avoided the manhandling and subsequent publicity he received.

Sorry but if you paid for the ticket you have every right to the seat, especially since they are asking you to leave so their employees can seat in your seat for free.
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?
Sorry but if you paid for the ticket you have every right to the seat, especially since they are asking you to leave so their employees can seat in your seat for free.

This happens all the time apparently.

LOL, no one has the "right" to be on a plane they don't own.

While not the best customer relations ploy, United have the right to remove whoever they wish from their plane.

The good Dr reacted badly, if understandably, and paid the price.

Lets be honest, if the Dr had been a white dude this would not have been news.
Reply 23
The good Dr reacted badly, if understandably, and paid the price.

I think you'll find it will be United who pay the price.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well yes, i think they will.

Are you suggesting he saw it as an opportunity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You keep saying this, but more likely than not it will be the Chicago airport security people who will receive any lawsuit.
Lets be honest, if the Dr had been a white dude this would not have been news.

As usual, there's nothing 'honest' about this cheap, contemptuous sentiment.
Reply 27
Well yes, i think they will.

Are you suggesting he saw it as an opportunity?

No not at all. He just wanted to get home on time.

Original post by Trinculo
You keep saying this, but more likely than not it will be the Chicago airport security people who will receive any lawsuit.

United have admitted fault and they requested the heavy mob. They will definitely be financially part of any settlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reality Check
As usual, there's nothing 'honest' about this cheap, contemptuous sentiment.

As usual, you find the truth uncomfortable.
No not at all. He just wanted to get home on time.

United have admitted fault and they requested the heavy mob. They will definitely be financially part of any settlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think the fragrant Oscar Muñoz will keep his job? The 'apology' was a bit of a PR disaster - he might as well have apologised for the the man's feelings.
Reply 30
Do you think the fragrant Oscar Muñoz will keep his job? The 'apology' was a bit of a PR disaster - he might as well have apologised for the the man's feelings.

His first and second public statements were very ill-judged. Then the belated third statement effectively admitted fault, which probably didn't please his lawyers or corporate liability insurers.

I can't see him surviving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously lots of coverage in the news about the united airlines flight. But I've only seen the video and heard he refused to leave. However why was he asked to leave in the first place? If they over book and nobody wants to give up their seat, surely they don't just say, 'nah you're getting off the flight'?

I've found the details of the whole thing pretty obscure.

Its in all the news stories. I cant see how you missed it.
He was randomly selected. The court case and investigation will give further details. I dont think there was anything suspicious.

They offer them money first $400 rising to $1300 plus a hotel.

I think he has weathered the storm now, unless something else comes out.
I believe he is successful (id need to check United's performance during his tenure).and if so then shareholders will want him to keep making money.imo.
Original post by Good bloke

Before take-off, four United crew members turned up at the gate looking for a lift to enable them to be rostered at the destination airport.

Rather than ask the crew members to report to a later available flight, or send them in a taxi, or train

I'm sorry, but this is dumb. Airlines only bump paying passengers for crew when they have an urgent need to get them somewhere - I have friends who are airline pilots and free or very cheap travel is a perk of the job, but they're right at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to an overbooked flight. Chicago to Louisville is 4 hours by car (a little over 1 by air) - suggesting a train just shows you don't understand travel in America. Needing to shift 4 crew in a hurry suggest they almost certainly had to move them in order to enable another flight to be completed (at a guess the scheduled crew were delayed and didn't have sufficient duty hours remaining).

Ask yourself this - if you were one of 200 passengers whose flight was delayed further or cancelled for the convenience of 4 passengers on another flight, how would you feel?
His first and second public statements were very ill-judged. Then the belated third statement effectively admitted fault, which probably didn't please his lawyers or corporate liability insurers.

I can't see him surviving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The airlines are hugely powerful and he acted more like a feudal lord presiding over his serfs than a customer-friendly businessman. Apparently the US airlines lobbied Trump not long ago to exclude the Gulf airlines who have been attempting to compete within the US, which is why the instructions were suddenly issued not to permit phones and laptops from places like Dubai - the US government is always a tool of its corporations and 'customers' pretty much come bottom in the pecking order. So it wasn't exactly 'ill judgement', more an example of the gigantic self-satisfied egomania of these corporate monsters being seen to leak out in public.
Okay the whole 'overbooking' thing is an excuse. It only applies before the passengers have boarded (because they'll only let you on if your check in was successful and there are enough seats). United decided after the paying passengers were boarded that at the last minute they had to take 4 of their own staff to that flight's destination. The overbooking thing is absolute nonsense as it refers to decisions made well before the flight whereas here, United decided last minute they had to kick off passengers for the sake of their own staff, due to their lack of organisation.
Original post by CurlyBen
if you were one of 200 passengers whose flight was delayed further or cancelled for the convenience of 4 passengers on another flight, how would you feel?

That wouldn't apply as I would realise the flight would be cancelled because of the airline's inability to find a crew, not for the convenience of other paying passengers.

In this case there was a later flight that could have done the job for United and which would not have involved de-planing anyone. If they wanted to use this flight they could have offered higher compensation and so found more volunteers, used a small private plane, put the crew on another airline, found a more local crew.

The fact that they did not even offer their maximum compensation tells you a lot about the urgency of their situation.

If all these measures had failed I would still not expect any airline to force a passenger off a plane under any circumstances short of an arrest or him posing a danger to passengers or crew.
Original post by 999tigger
Its in all the news stories. I cant see how you missed it.
He was randomly selected. The court case and investigation will give further details. I dont think there was anything suspicious.

They offer them money first $400 rising to $1300 plus a hotel.

BBC never mentioned it once in the main articles on the story
Reply 38
The airline didn't want to pay more to fly its crew on another plane and took the cheap and easy step of shoving a passenger off the plane. Its all down to money in the end.
BBC never mentioned it once in the main articles on the story

Funny that I heard them talk through it and saw it on the news several times. they had the travel writer Simon Calder from the Independent explain it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending