Biting nails habit Watch

Frank Peters
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have a nail biting habit. It gets to the point where sometimes when i even slightly touch an object my finger nails sting because Ive bitten them so much.

I REALLY want to stop and I have stopped (temporarily) before.

I stopped biting my nails 2 weeks ago but gradually now I biting one nail off every 6ish days.

Over the periods I have stopped, my nails grew, but instead of biting them, I bend them. And it gets to a point where Ive bent my nails so much (with my teeth) that they just rip off. e.g. if you bend a metal rod again and again, it will just seperate.

I just cant do it. Ive tried holding things in my hand but 18 minutes later I start bending and biting my nails again.

Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)
I have a nail biting habit. It gets to the point where sometimes when i even slightly touch an object my finger nails sting because Ive bitten them so much.

I stopped biting my nails 2 weeks ago but gradually now I biting one nail off every 6ish days.

Over the periods I have stopped, my nails grew, but instead of biting them, I bend them. And it gets to a point where Ive bent my nails so much (with my teeth) that they just rip off. e.g. if you bend a metal rod again and again, it will just seperate.

I just cant do it. Ive tried holding things in my hand but 18 minutes later I start bending and biting my nails again.

Have you tried choosing a finger and trying not to bite just that one nail? You can do whatever to the other 9 but that one is out of bounds. Once it grows a bit, when you feel ready, choose another finger and do not bite or bend that nail either. Gradually work up until you can stop completely. What I found helped was taking care of the ones I'd chosen not to bite. Rather than let it grow too long and become really tempting to bite, try cutting them with nail cutters so it looks neat and isn't very long. You can let them grow more overtime but until you kick the habit I recommend keeping them short.
Goaded
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I bite mine too, mostly when I'm stressed but I'd love to kick the habit
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm usually good at leaving mine but leading up to exams I bite them raw. I gnaw on the skin around them too and now they hurt so much and look horrid damn you exams
Airmed
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is stuff out there that you dip your nails and fingers into. Then if you bite them, you get a horrible, vile taste. It's meant to stop you biting them. Can't remember what it is called though.

Otherwise, the only way I have stopped biting my nails is painting my nails. Have had them painted now for 2 years, do them every few days. Obsessive habit :awesome:
Rohit_Rocks10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Frank Peters)

Not being funny... but just dip the ends of your fingernails in ink.... maybe this helps you to stop!?
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop n grow is supposed to taste awful that might help you break the habit
geographyuk123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.lloydspharmacy.com/en/sto...FY8K0wodV34Abw
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (59)
15.21%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (38)
9.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (74)
19.07%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (58)
14.95%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (43)
11.08%
How can I be the best version of myself? (116)
29.9%

Watched Threads