Boomerang345
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ok, so this year I have missed about 9 weeks of school in total (due to medical reasons). So I won't be taking exams this year due to extenuating circumstances.

Needless to say I haven't done very well with my a level subjects. Apart from missing school, I did not understand biology or chemistry concepts and I really struggled, consistently scoring d's and e's in my exams and tests. With English Lit I don't really understand how to write essays about poems and I found comparative essays nearly impossible, getting c's consistently.

This is why I'm already thinking of redoing year 12 next year, but with different subjects that I'm better at (or were better at during gcse) and that I'm more interested in.

I'm thinking of doing Spanish, French, Psychology and History.

I'm slightly worried about repeating the year and still struggling with a levels though. Is a level history (aqa) really as hard as people say it is? Is psychology as complex and difficult as biology? And will I be at a major disadvantage having a one year gap between my French and Spanish classes (as I have forgotten stuff from gcse).

I really do not want to be failing a levels again and I really want to get into university.

Any tips and advice would be really helpful, as I found a levels a major struggle this year!
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Boomerang345)
Ok, so this year I have missed about 9 weeks of school in total (due to medical reasons). So I won't be taking exams this year due to extenuating circumstances.

Needless to say I haven't done very well with my a level subjects. Apart from missing school, I did not understand biology or chemistry concepts and I really struggled, consistently scoring d's and e's in my exams and tests. With English Lit I don't really understand how to write essays about poems and I found comparative essays nearly impossible, getting c's consistently.

This is why I'm already thinking of redoing year 12 next year, but with different subjects that I'm better at (or were better at during gcse) and that I'm more interested in.

I'm slightly worried about repeating the year and still struggling with a levels though. Is a level history (aqa) really as hard as people say it is? Is psychology as complex and difficult as biology? And will I be at a major disadvantage having a one year gap between my French and Spanish classes (as I have forgotten stuff from gcse).

I really do not want to be failing a levels again and I really want to get into university.

Any tips and advice would be really helpful, as I found a levels a major struggle this year!
I take history A/S and i have to say, after getting an A* at GCSE it is very content heavy. It is okay i you are really dedicated to it, but i am more focused on the science and i should spend more time on it.
Boomerang345
Rep:
?
(Original post by ProbablyJade)
I take history A/S and i have to say, after getting an A* at GCSE it is very content heavy. It is okay i you are really dedicated to it, but i am more focused on the science and i should spend more time on it.
Thanks

So, there's a lot of content, but is it difficult to understand? And what is it like writing the essays, are the questions vague and difficult, or is it more straightforward like at gcse?
Boomerang345
Rep:
?
Bump
ProbablyJade
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks

So, there's a lot of content, but is it difficult to understand? And what is it like writing the essays, are the questions vague and difficult, or is it more straightforward like at gcse?
I do the French Revolution which is difficult to understand as it is very complex. Churchill and Napoleon are pretty straightforward but there is a lot to learn about reforms/point of views/battles/people. The essays are pretty specific but there is an essay format you have to learn for each different type of question.
RobertTaylorUK
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As long as you're committed to doing well, just think of it as a 3 year A level course and you'll end up doing better than most people in your year. As long as you don't stagnate like a few people I know.
Boomerang345
Rep:
?
(Original post by RobertTaylorUK)
As long as you're committed to doing well, just think of it as a 3 year A level course and you'll end up doing better than most people in your year. As long as you don't stagnate like a few people I know.
Thanks
Boomerang345
Rep:
?
Bump
Rose.n
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I take psychology and biology - psychology is not as difficult as biology (in my opinion), there are a couple of topics in psychology which involve biology and many people in my class who do not take biology find them harder than the other topics but its not super complex biology, for example, the areas of the brain and what each of them does.

I retook my AS year (I'm in A2 now) and I found it just as hard as I did the first time round but I learnt where I went wrong the first time and improved my exam and revision techniques ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (20)
15.27%
No one else does (48)
36.64%
I'm embarrassed about my background (15)
11.45%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (40)
30.53%
We don't use a video platform (2)
1.53%
I don't have a camera (2)
1.53%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (4)
3.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise