Are these £5 notes still accepted in the uk?

Watch
HucktheForde
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Money changer said no longer accepted
Attached files
username2488767
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HucktheForde)
According to the Bank of England website, you can use them until 5th May 2017. That's the date that they stop being usable in stores but banks should still accept them for a few years later so you can change them for new ones without losing money (although the BoE website says that some may refuse but you can go to London to their building and exchange them at any time, but it'd probably cost more to do that!). Have you had any of the new £1 coins yet? I still haven't...
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are still legal tender, until they go out of circulation on 5th May 2017. Hope this helps
Suzanne123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by greghayes)
According to the Bank of England website, you can use them until 5th May 2017. That's the date that they stop being usable in stores but banks should still accept them for a few years later so you can change them for new ones without losing money (although the BoE website says that some may refuse but you can go to London to their building and exchange them at any time, but it'd probably cost more to do that!). Have you had any of the new £1 coins yet? I still haven't...
I haven't had a new £1 yet, neither has anyone else I know.
Are they meant to be largely around now?
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
So i must use them before may...
username2488767
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Suzanne123)
I'm not sure. They came into circulation about a month ago but no one I know has had one either. I'm trying to think how long it took me to get the new fiver but I worked in a cafe at that time so I came into contact with change a lot more frequently than I do now. Maybe after the holidays and going to the college canteen will bring some into circulation around the students.
username2488767
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So i must use them before may...
Yes but if you don't think you'll be able to do that, your best bet is to go to your bank (I'm not sure if the Post Office will exchange as well but they might not) as your bank's counter will be able to exchange any that you have for the new ones.
geographyuk123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My p/t job at the co-op says we can accept them until the 4th May, after then we cannot take them and advise customers to take them into any bank in exchange for the new £5
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i received my first new £1 this week. it is somehow disappointing... the scale of the crown design does not really match the size of the coin. the four national emblems ( rose, leek, thistle etc ) look like they have been randomly shoved into the crown....

http://www.royalmint.com/newonepoundcoin
HucktheForde
Rep:
?
Yes but if you don't think you'll be able to do that, your best bet is to go to your bank (I'm not sure if the Post Office will exchange as well but they might not) as your bank's counter will be able to exchange any that you have for the new ones.
I just did that not at bank but at money changer, they said they stop accepting that note effective from feb 22th

so i guess i will be keeping them as souvenir.
username2488767
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I just did that not at bank but at money changer, they said they stop accepting that note effective from feb 22th

so i guess i will be keeping them as souvenir.
They shouldn't have refused you because it was/still is in circulation. Your best choice is just to go straight to the bank now.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's the date that they stop being usable in stores but banks should still accept them for a few years later so you can change them for new ones without losing money .
High Street banks might accept the old paper fivers for a couple of months after they're demonetised on 5 May, but not for a few years.

HucktheForde Best thing is to spend/bank them ASAP, and do not accept any more in your change.
emmamariekitty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're still accepted until May but some places can refuse to take them
emmamariekitty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've had loads but that may be because I work in a post office
username2488767
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
High Street banks might accept the old paper fivers for a couple of months after they're demonetised on 5 May, but not for a few years.

HucktheForde Best thing is to spend/bank them ASAP, and do not accept any more in your change.
I'm only saying that because I asked my mum the same thing a while ago and she said that she remembers when the £1 coins came in around the 80s and she found old coins years later in a money box and the bank took them in and exchanged them for new currency.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm only saying that because I asked my mum the same thing a while ago and she said that she remembers when the £1 coins came in around the 80s and she found old coins years later in a money box and the bank took them in and exchanged them for new currency.
Yes, I remember that too - but things have changed a bit. The old £50 notes could be banked for a couple of months after they were demonetised, and I expect the same thing for the old fivers. The old round pounds might be a different matter - banks might accept these for longer just because of the sheer number in circulation. Still, with the fivers, I think it's probably better to err on the side of caution and presume that banks will only continue to accept them after the May demonetisation for only a couple of months at most.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (517)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.35%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads