Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liverpool2044)
i thought it had a big role in the cns but i saw this statement somewhere
Acetylcholine has the function to open the ion channels of postsynaptic membranes, so the stimuluses in form of an action potential overcome the synapses.

Synapses and postsynaptic membranes are a part of neurons and the neurons in turn count to vegetative nerve system. Acethylcholine helps to transfer the stimuluses in vegetative nerve system. The central nerve system just regulates and handles the stimuluses. This is a function which acethylcholine is not responsible for.

Is it that what did you want to know?
liverpool2044
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Kallisto)
Acetylcholine has the function to open the ion channels of postsynaptic membranes, so the stimuluses in form of an action potential overcome the synapses.

Synapses and postsynaptic membranes are a part of neurons and the neurons in turn count to vegetative nerve system. Acethylcholine helps to transfer the stimuluses in vegetative nerve system. The central nerve system just regulates and handles the stimuluses. This is a function which acethylcholine is not responsible for.

Is it that what did you want to know?
thats great so does it play a role in both the autonomic and somatic?
Kallisto
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by liverpool2044)
thats great so does it play a role in both the autonomic and somatic?
Yeah, would say so, as those have neurons with the synapses where acethylcholine is in existence to work as explained above.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's in the muscles and it is in the brain but it's mainly in skeletal muscle because of the negative feedback.
neveroddoreven
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
ACh is a neurotransmitter that has roles in both the peripheral nervous system and central nervous system.
In the PNS it is responsible for the parasympathetic autonomic nervous system, as well as somatic control.
It does definitely have a role in the CNS. The CNS however also uses Dopamine, Serotonin, Glutamate, Glycine, NO and a bunch of other neurotransmitters so the role of ACh is smaller.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (57)
15.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (33)
9.04%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (72)
19.73%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (54)
14.79%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (40)
10.96%
How can I be the best version of myself? (109)
29.86%

Watched Threads