Zonyali123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have a question regarding the 'how' exam question. When asked, 'how does the writer show.....?' I know I need to spot the writer's language techniques, so if I spot comparison for example, there was a technique I spotted in which the writer was comparing the narrator becoming a miner in South Africa to him becoming a miner in Johannesburg. Can I pick out this and say that the writer compares [.....] becoming a miner in South Africa to Johannesburg so that reader's can better understand what he went through to become a miner. Then give a quote each to show the difference and say, 'he experienced more hardship to become a miner in Johannesburg.' I don't know whether I'm okay to do this.
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zonyali123)
I have a question regarding the 'how' exam question. When asked, 'how does the writer show.....?' I know I need to spot the writer's language techniques, so if I spot comparison for example, there was a technique I spotted in which the writer was comparing the narrator becoming a miner in South Africa to him becoming a miner in Johannesburg. Can I pick out this and say that the writer compares [.....] becoming a miner in South Africa to Johannesburg so that reader's can better understand what he went through to become a miner. Then give a quote each to show the difference and say, 'he experienced more hardship to become a miner in Johannesburg.' I don't know whether I'm okay to do this.
Yes, you can. You can use any metaphors, comparision, personifications, and alliterations in order to argue for or against that.
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michiyo)
Yes, you can. You can use any metaphors, comparision, personifications, and alliterations in order to argue for or against that.
Thank you for your reply. The question asks, "Hiw does their writer show what Obey went through to become a miner". I saw that the writer compared him becoming a miner in South Africa to johanasburg and noticed that he experienced more difficulty in Johanasburg. Is this answer enough for a 5 mark question it should I put in more?
Michiyo
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zonyali123)
Thank you for your reply. The question asks, "Hiw does their writer show what Obey went through to become a miner". I saw that the writer compared him becoming a miner in South Africa to johanasburg and noticed that he experienced more difficulty in Johanasburg. Is this answer enough for a 5 mark question it should I put in more?
For a 5 marks question, you should have a bit of analysis and a link too. The part I bolded does not sound like analysis, so you need to expand on that. Why does the thing you picked show that?
Zonyali123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Michiyo)
For a 5 marks question, you should have a bit of analysis and a link too. The part I bolded does not sound like analysis, so you need to expand on that. Why does the thing you picked show that?
The comparison? Well I thought the writer compared so that reader's can better understand how much hardship he faced while becoming a miner in Johannesburg. I included all this in my answer and also gave 2 examples from the text to support what I said. These examples showed tgat he suffered more hardship in johanasburg than in South Africa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (205)
33.44%
No (408)
66.56%

Watched Threads