The Student Room Group

Essay competitons

Hi, I'm looking to enter an essay competition (probably the Royal Economic Society) as I don't have many supercurriculars for my PS. Do I have to win/come in the top group for it to actually mean anything on my PS or can I just say it was something I really enjoyed doing, helped my develop my essay writing, found more out about the topic etc. ? Thanks for your help
Original post by emmak10
Hi, I'm looking to enter an essay competition (probably the Royal Economic Society) as I don't have many supercurriculars for my PS. Do I have to win/come in the top group for it to actually mean anything on my PS or can I just say it was something I really enjoyed doing, helped my develop my essay writing, found more out about the topic etc. ? Thanks for your help

If you just enter, maybe just briefly mention it. If you get further or even win, definitely put it! It shows a willingness to go beyond the syllabus and passion for your subject. What is the contest about and what subject are you applying for?
Reply 2
Original post by greghayes
If you just enter, maybe just briefly mention it. If you get further or even win, definitely put it! It shows a willingness to go beyond the syllabus and passion for your subject. What is the contest about and what subject are you applying for?

Okay thank you, I just didn't want to spend all this time on something for it to not even mean anything. I'm planning on applying for Economics and there was a choice of essays, I think I'm going to do about whether there should be a maximum wage so should be interesting anyway.
Original post by emmak10
Okay thank you, I just didn't want to spend all this time on something for it to not even mean anything. I'm planning on applying for Economics and there was a choice of essays, I think I'm going to do about whether there should be a maximum wage so should be interesting anyway.

In which case, yes it's a good idea to include it because it's relevant to your course and shows general interest in Economics. Sounds interesing!
Reply 4
Original post by greghayes
In which case, yes it's a good idea to include it because it's relevant to your course and shows general interest in Economics. Sounds interesing!

Thanks for your help!
It would be good to talk about the extra reading you've done for the essay writing :smile: It's good to do, but focus on that aspect
Reply 6
Original post by emmak10

Include it, but make reflection the focus. Talk about any concepts you researched and that you found interesting and you understood better because of this contest.
Reply 7
Original post by *Interrobang*
It would be good to talk about the extra reading you've done for the essay writing :smile: It's good to do, but focus on that aspect

makes sense, thank you:smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Razvan_T
Include it, but make reflection the focus. Talk about any concepts you researched and that you found interesting and you understood better because of this contest.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest