Unconditional offer as insurance choice but want to go to said uni??? Watch

beansprout23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A uni gave me an unconditional offer and i would like to go there but i also want an 'insurance' uni. If i put the unconditional offer as my firm choice, i cant have an insurance choice. So if i put the unconditional offer as my insurance choice, will i be able to pick that uni over the conditional firm choice uni?
purplesockmonkey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why do you want an "insurance" uni if you already have an unconditional to the place you want to go to??
beansprout23
Rep:
?
(Original post by purplesockmonkey)
Why do you want an "insurance" uni if you already have an unconditional to the place you want to go to??
cos my mum bugs me :')
username2885164
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
unless you already have the grades (i.e if you are taking a year out and got your grades last year) then unconditional tend to be contingent on the fact that you put it as your firm choice.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beansprout23)
A uni gave me an unconditional offer and i would like to go there but i also want an 'insurance' uni. If i put the unconditional offer as my firm choice, i cant have an insurance choice. So if i put the unconditional offer as my insurance choice, will i be able to pick that uni over the conditional firm choice uni?
The unconditional will usually only remain unconditional if you make it your first choice plus firm it. read what the offer said.

By putting it as your insurance then the offer is more likely to become conditional on achieving the stated grades.

If you have an unconditional and want to go there then it makes little sense not to accept it.
Juno
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by beansprout23)
Not easily, no. If you wait until results day then you'd have to use Clearing - and the insurance uni might not have spaces. Before that, you can ask the unis to let you swap them around - but if you're doing that you might as well do it the correct way in the first place
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Ffs, think. It's an unconditional offer. What would you do with an insurance?

How this guy got accepted into a uni in the first place is beyond me.
beansprout23
Rep:
?
thanks for the advice everyone :')
beansprout23
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Ffs, think. It's an unconditional offer. What would you do with an insurance?

How this guy got accepted into a uni in the first place is beyond me.
ikr, so weird how deserving people are also the dumbest :')
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Explain this to your Mum : 'Insurance' isnt 'I've changed my mind at the last minute'. Its 'I screwed up my grades and my Firm Uni don't want me'. No-one can 'swap' F & I choices on Results Day - and you can't have an Insurance with an Unconditional Firm because your Firm will take you even if you fail everything, no back-up choice needed.

Once you have an Unconditional Firm ALL your other choices/offers disappear. That is WHY Unis do this daft Unconditional offer thing - because then you are locked-in and can't easily go anywhere else, whatever results you get. As others have mentioned, you cant usually use this sort of U offer as your insurance because it will revert to Conditional if you do.

Its a bribe, nothing else. It doesnt mean 'We want you' as they have also made U offers to a thousand other people! If you are cagey about going to that Uni in anyway, just remember that having a U offer wont make the course better or the Uni nicer. If you really dont want to go to the U offer Uni then dont go there - dont pick as your Firm choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (144)
60.25%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.6%
No- I want it (67)
28.03%
No- I don't want it (17)
7.11%

Watched Threads