The Student Room Group

I converted from Islam to Christianity AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ladymusiclover
Explain how so?

It's confusing to explain but simply Jesus is the human form of God. (1 Timothy 3:16)

John 20:17 we have Jesus pbuh clearly stating he is ascending to God , thus Jesus and God are not one which contradicts the above
Original post by DarthRoar
How do you feel about now being able to treat women with respect and equality?

treat women with respect and equality? tell me where that does not happen
Original post by Anonymous
treat women with respect and equality? tell me where that does not happen

Across the entirety of the Muslim world.
Your response to this equation is 'exactly' tell me how does 1+1+1 = 1

The equation doesn't explain the trinity. They're 3 in 1. Let my simplify it- say you have 1 egg, you can take part of it and boil that egg, scramble or poach the egg. There are 3 different forms of the same egg. It's still 1 egg.
Reply 84
Jesus is much greater than a prophet he's the human form of God.

I've read bible passages refering to him a's a prophet. Can't he be both?
It's confusing to explain but simply Jesus is the human form of God. (1 Timothy 3:16)

John 20:17 we have Jesus pbuh clearly stating he is ascending to God , thus Jesus and God are not one which contradicts the above

Jesus was conceived by the Holy spirit (1 form of God) which created the human form of God which lived on this Earth, was born in Bethlehem etc. (this is why Jesus is referred to the Son of God). The God that we know and think about is the one in heaven. God has different forms but the greatest form is the one in heaven, creator of the universe. Jesus mentions in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one". I do admit it's a confusing concept to understand but I hope I've explained it clearly enough.
Reply 86
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, in Christianity Jesus is God incarnate.

The Trinity isn't 3 separate gods so your maths thing doesn't make sense. It's meant to be 3 different aspects or facets of God.

Can't he be both?
Why can't Zeus be true? Do you think that the Greeks did not believe just as sincerely in their god's? Why is Christianity true but not the Olympians? The Olympians were much cooler anyway.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Query22
I've read bible passages refering to him a's a prophet. Can't he be both?

I see your point. Jesus fits the bill of a prophet in the sense he prophesised etc.So yes you could describe him as a prophet but he's the ultimate and greatest prophet of all since he is God (in human form).

Why can Muslims not grasp this? Mohhamed flying to heaven on a winged horse and splitting the moon is fine but this you find hard? It's 3 in one.Its like water.Water can be ice,water vapour or liquid water but at the end of the day it's still made up of H2O.God has 3 forms.God the son,God the father and God the holy spirit.
Welcome :wink: Have a nice Easter weekend
Reply 91
Original post by sinsnottragedies
across the entirety of the muslim world.

lol, rekt
Original post by Zeus007
It's also prone to more extremists because the book hasnt ever been changed like the Bible which means the verses of slavery, stoning and killing homosexuals is all in the Quran.

The Quran never says to stone homosexuals.
My advice would be to try and not get too bogged down with The Bible. It is archaic and difficult to understand in parts. Remember they are a collection of books written by many different people over many years. It could well be that some of the books in the Bible are more factually accurate than others. For instance, when Jesus said "If your left hand causes you to sin [ i.e. masturbate] cut it off; for it is better to enter the kingdom of Heaven with one hand than to be cast into the eternity of Hell" or words to that effect. Jesus didn't literally mean you had to chop your own or someone else's hand off so you wouldn't be tempted to have a w ank. It means just try really hard not to commit this sin anymore. I pray every single night when I go to bed. I say the Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory Be To The Father. But then for around ten or fifteen minutes after I like to say my own prayers. I think of this as my own private conversation with God. I ask Him to watch over and protect my son while he sleeps and see that no harm or danger comes to him. I ask Him to protect my sister and her husband and all my extended family. I ask Him to help me perform my duties to be a loving, caring mother tomorrow to the best of my abilities. I thank Him for the safe home me and my son have and for the food we ate that day. I pray for peace and love in the world. You don't have to just follow specific prayers. Add your own too if you feel like it. Speak to Him. I really believe that God hears our prayers. So don't just repeat the well known ones parrot fashion. Praying to God should come from within your heart and soul, I think. Good luck.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DarthRoar
How do you feel about now being able to treat women with respect and equality?

Not every Christian treats women with respect. There are horrible Christians just like there are horrible Muslims.
Was from a Muslim family and grew up as a Muslim. Decided two months ago, at the age of 19, that I would become a Christian. I initially found out about Jesus and his story at school during an RE lesson. I didn't learn much in school and didn't really think of it. But straying from last year, I became more interested in Christianity and I didn't feel that Islam was really the truth. For all my life, I was a pretty average Muslim, I went to jummah every week, I prayed and read the Quran. I did believe it but when I found out about the gospel of Jesus Christ, it made so much sense. It resonated with me. The fact that Jesus came to Earth as fully man and fully God, performed miracles, lived a life free of any sin and then died on the Cross for our sins made so much sense. I read John and the Christian view of salvation through faith rather than through our deeds made so much sense. I mean, Muhammad wasn't a perfect man but Jesus was. Jesus lived a perfect life. Yet he decided to make the ultimate sacrifice.

Now, I do believe in the gospel. I believe that Jesus Christ is fully God, fully man and that he came to Earth and made the ultimate sacrifice on the cross. I believe that we are all flawed and have all failed to meet God's moral standards. Therefore, none of us are worthy of entering Heaven. But God loved us so much that he came as Jesus Christ the Son, and made the sacrifice on the cross so we can be saved DESPITE what we have done, not because of it.

I'm happy I made this decision and I'm finding out more and more every day.

Firstly I am not a hater I want to help you become sure of your beliefs but I do have a myriad of questions and am a bit dubious about you.

Initially, I want to see if I understood everything so I need ensure a few things so I will have to dissect what you wrote, read between the lines and find implications before I make my big request.

Time to dissect this...

It seems as though you were always a Muslim then when you became 19 you "decided" to become a Christian. If I got that right and you were really a Muslim your whole life until you reached the penultimate stage in the process of becoming a Christian, you really did believe in Islam. In fact, you then affirmed it when you said "I went to jummah every week, I prayed and read the Quran. I did believe it". Then a year ago near 18 years of age you thought...No.. you felt, with "feel" being the verb used, that Islam was not the truth.

See, I dislike the choice of word here because it does not appear to be solid but more so that you relied or still do rely on faith, which indeed Islam requires you to have. Thus, I can safley assume you use but just in case I will ask: Does christianity to you require faith? Did you "feel" it more?

If so, I would like to present to you a select few of a plethora of problems associated with having faith. Starting with its definition to be clear, faith that I am referring to is the "strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof" but therein lies the issue because with it, you can justify anything. For example, a common case of this is when I play a good horror game and a tense moment of nothingness is created, sometimes the atmosphere created is so well done I feel as though there is someone in the room with me. I can sometimes feel someone breathing down my neck just watching me I feel it mentally and physically but do I really? Even if I really did feel it, there was no creepy murderer behind me. Feeling something to be true or not true does not affect how true it is in the same way that liking a watch or disliking a watch will make it vanish or come in to existence.

On the other hand, the thing you felt was not true was that Islam was "truth". So I can take it that there are factual judgements to a degree. Here, it could be a great extent or to a low scale but I cannot say confidently as of yet, but I heavily reside more with the latter. The reason why is also because of again when the truth of Islam was still truth to you, you "believed" it. This is what you said. Yet, from that and given the circumstances, it implies you did not know the truth was truth or whatever have you. Because if you knew, you would not convert so your type of belief was one where you "accept that (something being Islam) is true, especially without proof". Then, I can conclude you are one of the people who rely on faith, which is why I dedicated the whole antecedent paragraph to it with so much conviction.

Henceforth, given what I just said and what you said, when you go on to say despite you having faith, read Quran, prayed, believed which is synonymous to having faith in your case, you converted due to Christianity making more sense? Your decision making process changed and you don't need to be a psychologist to notice it but at least you said after that it "resonated" so maybe not. That is another reason as to why some think you are a troll account but that is not too important because I will give you the benefit of the doubt and plus humans are logical most of the time, I hope, so maybe this point is invalid as well.

Nonetheless, I expected the reasoning as to why it made sense but instead you just partially listed bits of your old Islamic beliefs and cut up bits of your newly found Christian beliefs in partially chronological order. And you stated "believed" thrice more and clearly indicated that there was nothing more. Why is this a problem you might ask. Well as I have just said, it is belief. It is faith. Faith is a problem if you have no proof. We do not necessarily need evidence but we do need some substance for argument in induction, deduction, analogy and so on. Ergo, I am asking for this substance. Like many, I do not feel content with feeling but knowing truth to be truth because if I did not know, I would "believe" and if I "believe" I can be wrong just like how you "believed" in Islam and you decided it did not resonate with you.

Having said that, if you do not tell us why or make me have to rely on faith, I have another question. You were wrong when you had belief and belief can always be wrong, so you moved to another belief, but if it is still a belief and a feeling, how can you still be sure that you are not going to be wrong again?

Well, you cannot but believe you are not gonna be wrong as with belief you can believe anything. I don't think I can make this any more painfully clear knowing and not believing how painfully clear you make it that you choose how to live your life on a feeling that can change. It is comedic. How can you spend the first 18 years of your life in a religion that to you made less sense because it felt right so you had to believe, then switch to a religion with the same logic of it feeling right to resonate with you when sense is not what was shown. That it self makes little sense again unless this was a troll post, which seems very plausible given the day it is and that you are anonymous.

Whatever the situation, I have a solution, which I do not think you will like to accept but will state anyways. Study atheism. Become an atheist at least for a week.

I say that as a Muslim. Become an atheist.

Your probably like WTF but the reason why is very crucial.

That will enable you to have that blank canvas that your family and convert supporters robbed you from and painted on. Think about it like this, you were born with shades, closed your eyes to switch which ones you were wearing then opened your eyes to see life from the manufacturers perspective. Most religious people, even people who aren't religious find no difficulty in understanding the irrationality of others beliefs but at the same time are unable to scrutinize and apply the exact same logic when observing their own religion. In doing so you will then see if your religion is for you. The only problem is that it requires true honesty, which is hard for someone who is brought up like how you were due to fear, shame among many more tactics. However, if you do that and follow through. No matter where it leads you, continue in Atheism, become a Christian, revert to Islam, to you is to your chain of logic but just stick with it even if you do not like it; to you it is what must be true. When this happens, you might reach the same conclusion as me. A Muslim until proven to leave. Seriously, if I know something to be false, even if i want it to be true I would have to go with my knowledge.

I hope you follow through with it, it is a weird request and I wish you the best
Reply 96
Maybe if you actually studied Islam you would know that Prophet Muhammed was a perfect man, and so you read the Quran yes you get good deeds but unless you actually understand what the holy scripture say you cant really understand the true meaning behind holy books.
Reply 97
I see your point. Jesus fits the bill of a prophet in the sense he prophesised etc.So yes you could describe him as a prophet but he's the ultimate and greatest prophet of all since he is God (in human form).

Reply 98
Original post by TheRealLifeBane
x

Lol just let her stay Christian. :rolleyes:
Original post by Query22
Can't he be both?

Not really as prophets are generally believed to be sent by God whereas Jesus is God.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending