The Student Room Group

Why do people still have a problem with asexuality/celibacy?

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

It's a deviation from what is perceived to be as typical sexual behaviour, or rather lack thereof, and thus some view them with scepticism or suspicion.
Because they have nothing better to do. I also think religion plays a big role in it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kravence
Probably because people like to claim to be 'asexual' or that they won't want to ever get married when they're just lonely and can't get anyone.

Even if you don't experience sexual attraction to other people? That's weird.
Reply 4
Well people find what they don't understand hard to accept, and there hasn't really been as much of a concerted effort to get people to accept asexuality as there has been with homosexuality for instance.
I dont think they do or anyone cares.
Reply 6
Because people cannot accept that someone 'is not attracted to any gender or anything else.'

A lot of people also misunderstand asexuality as the lack of a sexual drive and inability to feel sexual pleasure, which is not true.
Original post by Moonstruck16
It's because we live in a society where everyone thinks that everyone should have sex, should get married, should have kids etc.
There are too many busybodies who can't mind their own business and like the poster above said, it's probably because they are 'lonely and can't get anyone' to pay their attention too.

This
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Michiyo

A lot of people also misunderstand asexuality as the lack of a sexual drive and inability to feel sexual pleasure, which is not true.

This
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by sherlockfan
Discuss.

People have a problem with everything. They even rioted at the Burger King ad.

What do you expect?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's like veganism. We don't care, we just care that you feel the need to remind us every 7 seconds :smile:
Original post by lmaowut
x

Asexual = not attracted to anything
Not attracted to anything =/ not having a sex drive (I am quite sure that is a sexual disorder; however, asexuals usually have a low interest in sex anyway)
Not attracted to anything =/ not being able to feel sexual pleasure (they still have hormones, so they can feel pleasure from a physical standpoint)

Asexual who does not browse Tumblr here, go read the definition of asexuality on Wikipedia.
(edited 7 years ago)
Any more nonsense from lmaowut or kravence and I'll ask for this thread to be shut down permanently.
A few theories...

- Society holds a negative view of singles in general- they are viewed as undesirable and unattractive, especially if female.

- Many of those with high sex drives/a strong desire for partners are jealous of those who don't seem to want or need it.

- Lots believe asexuality is a 'made-up' sexuality for those who want to identify as LGBT+ to seem 'cool'.

- Some associate celibacy with religion and are thus sceptical of it. Some associate asexuality with plants and are thus sceptical of it.

- Some are just anti-LGBT+ in general and by association anti-asexuality.

- Asexuals prefer eating cake (inside ace joke) to sex. This leaves less cake for everyone else. :colone:

:s-smilie:
Because society has always been obsessed with the idea of sex. In the old days society was obsessed with virginity and sexual purity. Now it has gone the opposite way. Everything is over-sexualised.

As people have already said, asexuals have this image of being unattractive weirdos who no one wants. This is obviously stupid because a lot of asexuals are married with children or are in relationships. Asexuality does not mean you can't have sex. It just means you don't feel sexual attraction to someone.

I personally think people who make fun out of asexuals are probably miserable in their own relationships/sexual performance.
Original post by constantine2016
Because society has always been obsessed with the idea of sex. In the old days society was obsessed with virginity and sexual purity. Now it has gone the opposite way. Everything is over-sexualised.

As people have already said, asexuals have this image of being unattractive weirdos who no one wants. This is obviously stupid because a lot of asexuals are married with children or are in relationships. Asexuality does not mean you can't have sex. It just means you don't feel sexual attraction to someone.

I personally think people who make fun out of asexuals are probably miserable in their own relationships/sexual performance.

Hear hear
Because people will never fully understand something until they go through it themselves.

If you're basing this on trolls on the internet, however... don't.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Because people will never fully understand something until they go through it themselves.

If you're basing this on trolls on the internet, however... don't.

Not everyone goes through homosexuality but it seems to be a lot more accepted.
Why do people have a problem with asexuality? I'm not sure they have a 'problem' with it..... just don't understand it. I think we always want to find that special someone..... we want our family members and special friends to find that special someone too..... and then when we find out that they're not interested in pursuing what seems so natural to others it is confusing. I, personally, feel (and this is just my opinion so please don't bash me) but having a bit of experience, knowing what to expect and what happens, being made to feel desirable and having experienced the pleasure goes a long way. I think experience with someone who you're committed to helps bring people who would consider themselves asexual out of their shell (if they want to come out). I believe there are people who claim asexuality when they really just don't know how to navigate the whole dating and romance thing so they bury it and pretend they're not interested or they get so freaked out by physical intimacy they can't cope. Also, some just haven't gotten a lot of attention in a sexual way so they don't know what to do when that happens and push potential partners away because it is just easier to push them away than to risk the anxiety of not knowing what to do, being rejected or getting hurt. Then, sadly, I think some asexuals take on that label because they haven't received much romantic attention and it is a self protective label. Of course that is not the situation all who identify as asexual but I do know some who fit that description.

Again, I think for someone who isn't asexual isn't having a 'problem' with it just confused by it.

Perhaps, no matter what, one is just asexual. I suppose if one is asexual but fortunate enough to find someone whose interested in them and wants to pursue a relationship w/ them do they want to make a concerted effort to live a "normal" relationship even if it doesn't come naturally to them. Do they stay and live their asexual lifestyle or go the traditional route and get into a relationship, get married and have children. I guess it is what you ultimately want out of life. I think people will respect you if you are kind and caring regardless of your sexual identification but not sure why everyone wants to attach a label to themselves. But that is just me....
Original post by Hopefully1
Why do people have a problem with asexuality? I'm not sure they have a 'problem' with it..... just don't understand it. I think we always want to find that special someone..... we want our family members and special friends to find that special someone too..... and then when we find out that they're not interested in pursuing what seems so natural to others it is confusing. I, personally, feel (and this is just my opinion so please don't bash me) but having a bit of experience, knowing what to expect and what happens, being made to feel desirable and having experienced the pleasure goes a long way. I think experience with someone who you're committed to helps bring people who would consider themselves asexual out of their shell (if they want to come out). I believe there are people who claim asexuality when they really just don't know how to navigate the whole dating and romance thing so they bury it and pretend they're not interested or they get so freaked out by physical intimacy they can't cope. Also, some just haven't gotten a lot of attention in a sexual way so they don't know what to do when that happens and push potential partners away because it is just easier to push them away than to risk the anxiety of not knowing what to do, being rejected or getting hurt. Then, sadly, I think some asexuals take on that label because they haven't received much romantic attention and it is a self protective label. Of course that is not the situation all who identify as asexual but I do know some who fit that description.

Again, I think for someone who isn't asexual isn't having a 'problem' with it just confused by it.

Perhaps, no matter what, one is just asexual. I suppose if one is asexual but fortunate enough to find someone whose interested in them and wants to pursue a relationship w/ them do they want to make a concerted effort to live a "normal" relationship even if it doesn't come naturally to them. Do they stay and live their asexual lifestyle or go the traditional route and get into a relationship, get married and have children. I guess it is what you ultimately want out of life. I think people will respect you if you are kind and caring regardless of your sexual identification but not sure why everyone wants to attach a label to themselves. But that is just me....

Judging by your reply, you haven't got a clue what asexuality it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending