The Student Room Group

Would Iran Honor its word

With the talk of America potentially taking North Korea out one thing comes to mind North Korea has a defense pact with Iran that means one is obligated to declare war on you if you attack the other.

However I remain skeptical that this really has much meaning. I mean I can see them sticking to this if say it Was Israel or France etc because arguably the two nations unified would stand a chance albeit small one of winning that fight.

However whilst I am aware that North Korea and Iran are both notoriously hard countries to invade I just cannot see them been able to take on America.

if North Korea goes ahead with the test America either has to back down and lose all face and ability to be taken seriously or they need to go in. If they lose that fight they lose all credibility which will have long term damaging consequences.

By lose I do not mean North Korea successfully contouring the United states that is just silliness I mean USA failing to invade North Korea which is feasible.

or if Iran attack USA they cant win but they can do a lot of damage America would then have to invade if they fail they either have to surrender to Iran which would be unthinkable or resort to the nuclear option which I think they would do.

In fact If the USA actually cannot win these wars (again failing to win is failing to take the countries successfully Iranian troops and North Korean Troops wont start taking US cities) then do they really have any other options other then the nuclear option?

I for one cant see it getting that bad though, the likelihood as I see it is Iran does not honor the defense pact China Condemns America but stays out of it and America destroys North Korean targets with Aerial bombardment as South Korea launches a ground offensive.

But am I wrong do others think Iran would actually declare war on the US?
Original post by Luke7456
With the talk of America potentially taking North Korea out one thing comes to mind North Korea has a defense pact with Iran that means one is obligated to declare war on you if you attack the other.

However I remain skeptical that this really has much meaning. I mean I can see them sticking to this if say it Was Israel or France etc because arguably the two nations unified would stand a chance albeit small one of winning that fight.

However whilst I am aware that North Korea and Iran are both notoriously hard countries to invade I just cannot see them been able to take on America.

if North Korea goes ahead with the test America either has to back down and lose all face and ability to be taken seriously or they need to go in. If they lose that fight they lose all credibility which will have long term damaging consequences.

By lose I do not mean North Korea successfully contouring the United states that is just silliness I mean USA failing to invade North Korea which is feasible.

or if Iran attack USA they cant win but they can do a lot of damage America would then have to invade if they fail they either have to surrender to Iran which would be unthinkable or resort to the nuclear option which I think they would do.

In fact If the USA actually cannot win these wars (again failing to win is failing to take the countries successfully Iranian troops and North Korean Troops wont start taking US cities) then do they really have any other options other then the nuclear option?

I for one cant see it getting that bad though, the likelihood as I see it is Iran does not honor the defense pact China Condemns America but stays out of it and America destroys North Korean targets with Aerial bombardment as South Korea launches a ground offensive.

But am I wrong do others think Iran would actually declare war on the US?

Where is this defence pact you speak of? Link us up.
There would be little benefit for Iran, so I doubt there would be significant retaliation.

Quick Reply