Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My mocks were a bit all over the place I got 2 A*s 2 As 3 Bs and 3 Cs. I've only revised Science and Maths since then. My weakest subjects are Computing (even though I got an A), Literature and French. I don't know how to revise for them, any tips?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hureram10)
    My mocks were a bit all over the place I got 2 A*s 2 As 3 Bs and 3 Cs. I've only revised Science and Maths since then. My weakest subjects are Computing (even though I got an A), Literature and French. I don't know how to revise for them, any tips?
    yes quality not quantity!, just bang out past papers

ReputationRep:
    With Literature, know your characters and your quotes, make essay plans and practice writing them, it's all about practice with English, as for French, I heard Quizlet is great for flashcards and questions

ReputationRep:
    Haha I feel in exactly the same situation as you... I'm trying to get good grades but I feel as if theirs not enough time etc... I basically have to learn French from scratch in a month so...

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting tomorrow (Might not do loads though as I have family over ffs) and I'm not worried about my ability to cover everything. Just make sure that everything you do from now is making a major difference.

ReputationRep:
    i think it's definitely enough time bevause all that really needs to be done is going through the specifications for each subject (mainly sciences) and planning english essays

plus, the exams are somewhat spread out i.e. two days between some so it'll be fine! :,)

ReputationRep:
    Everyones responses are so helpful

ReputationRep:
    im doing eng lit revision rn literally making cards for the stories (I watch videos from mr bruff and mrs whelan)
    french revision go on memrise and make an account they have GCSE vocab (its edexcel but its useful so just do it if its not your exam board) and just go through those

edit: help me now, how did you revise for science and maths? :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Babyangelana)
    Everyones responses are so helpful
    Something's fishy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katzen)
    Something's fishy...
    Why? What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter, if that's all the time you have left then make the most of it and stop worrying about what you can't change.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Babyangelana)
    Why? What do you mean?
    The helpfulness.

On this God-Forbidden site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katzen)
    The helpfulness.

On this God-Forbidden site.
    Are you a bit salty sir?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hureram10)
    There is definitely enough time, but do not leave it much later. You got good Mock results, but don't assume that automatically means you're going to get around the same in the exam. You never know what could happen on the day, and it is so easy to forget some things that can be critical to answering questions. There's also the chance that you might not feel too well on the day, or be overwhelmed by stress. Having put in the effort with revising, you would be able to recover from that and still potentially perform well.

I would say do a past paper or two for each subject first of all. When you're doing your past paper, time yourself. You're not going to get hours upon hours in the exam, so don't do it when you're practicing. You want to make sure you have a good idea of how to manage your time. So when the alarm goes off, stop and bring the marking guide out. Be really strict with yourself in regards to marking. Don't award points because you 'knew what you meant' or 'I was sort of right'. The invigilator won't be like that, and you would not get those points in the exam. By doing this, you can see what concepts / topics / questions you struggled with the most. From this, you can really focus your revision to stop there being gaps in your knowledge. The Student Room has 100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects, and for a variety of examination boards - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/past-papers

A big issue that a lot of people have in the exams, is that they don't understand the question. The knowledge may be there, but if they have misinterpreted the question, they are not going to get those marks. Thankfully, AQA has a really good table explaining all the different command words you are likely to experience in your exam - and this will be the same no matter what your exam board is. Definitely familiarise yourself with these terms and what they mean. From there, you can stop yourself dropping easy marks - http://www.aqa.org.uk/student-suppor...g-the-question

I found flash cards really useful for French. Write the French on one side, and then the English translation on the other. Creating them all by hand is really good revision as well. Test yourself, or get other people to test you on an assortment of words. There are even apps that you can download on your phone to create flash cards. This means that you can easily revise on the go, so you're not missing out on vital revision time. The Student Room has resources that will allow you to create flash cards on your computer - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/make. Even look for French quizzes online, and do them on the regular basis. Especially listening tests because sometimes you may know what a word means in English, but do not really understand it when it is said aloud. Plus online games & quizzes that are educational, are really useful! It might not even feel as though you are doing a lot of work, but you will still get a lot out of it.

BBC Bitesize has a lot of really good resources for studying for English Literature. It is definitely worth using as a resource. Plus there are a lot of videos, and games on there which again can shake up your revision and make it more interesting. http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zckw2hv. For each story you have studied, create little theme cards (for example: http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/guide...9j6/revision/2). Really take the time to get to know not just what happens in the plot, but why it happens. Think about the development of the characters, what the author was trying to say. SparkNotes is also really useful for this. It can really help you understand the characters, themes, plot development etc even if you don't have the time to go back through each story - http://www.sparknotes.com/

When it comes to writing essays in the exam, do a lot of practice at home. Take a practice question out of a past paper, set the timer and work from there. You may be a wonderful writer, but if you manage your time poorly then you could drop a lot of marks. Get used to working under a short length of time, and it can really allow you to be more powerful with your writing.

Consider doing presentations as well! It can be great fun researching concepts / topics and creating a presentation. You can present it to a family member, a pet, or just deliver it to an object in your room. If you're presenting it to a person, try and get them to really quiz you on a topic. This can really help with revising, and I find this really useful myself.

In terms of Computing, I always found just going through past papers really useful. I also had some workbooks on the subject as well that I could work through. If you are having to use or write about any Microsoft Office application during the exam - powerpoint, excel, databases etc then try and practice at home as much as possible. Ensure that you really know where everything is, and what the functions you will be asked about are.

Have you heard of the Pomodoro technique? I find that really useful when it comes to being productive;
    The process is simple. For every project throughout the day, you budget your time into short increments and take breaks periodically. You work for 25 minutes, then take break for five minutes.
    After four “pomodoros” have passed, (100 minutes of work time with 15 minutes of break time) you then take a 15-20 minute break. - http://www.lifehack.org/articles/pro...t-for-you.html

BBC Bitesize also have some really useful Revision articles, which you may find extremely useful:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zx6nrwx
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zw8qpbk
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/z8jxy4j
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zq2hb82

If you go onto Youtube, there will also be a lot of GCSE revision videos, as well as videos helping people with revision and studying. They may be worth checking out. Again, it's another way of shaking up how you revise. You could always watch these videos to really motivate yourself during your revision breaks, or before you start revising. I usually watch videos of people showing themselves working through their revision before I get to work, I find it oddly motivational.

Also be sure to create a study timetable. The Student Room has a handy online tool for this that you can use - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/planner
    "A good revision plan should be:
    Realistic: everyone has good intentions, but be careful not to set a plan you can’t stick to. Nobody can do 12 hours of revision a day.
    Detailed: a good plan breaks revision into chunks, specifies times for studying and assigns each time to a subject or topic.
    Flexible: some topics are difficult and may take you longer than you planned. Don’t be afraid to adjust your plan accordingly."

Have you checked out the revision resources that The Student Room has already? There are plenty of quizzes, pre-made flashcards, revision cards, revision notes, mind maps, crosswords, etc - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/learning.php . Obviously these won't be quite as effective as you researching the topics in order to make these resources yourself, but they may still help you out. You can also make your own here - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/make

If you feel the way you are revising is not really effective, then change your learning style up. Some people struggle with revision because they try and force themselves to revise in a way that isn't suitable for them - e.g. not everyone finds notes effectives, but there's the misconception that writing out notes is the main way to revise. Check out this website - https://learning-styles-online.com/overview/. It tells you about all the different learning styles, and gives you so many suggestions of how to revise. Try experimenting with different methods and see what works best for you!

ReputationRep:
    2 days are enough to study for GCSEs. That being said, it's not recommended.

As for advice: One word. Past papers.

ReputationRep:
    Some people get better results by revising half an hour per day beginning months in advance of exams. Others can afford to cram in revision days/weeks before and still do well. It's all dependant on the person and how much information you can actually take in. I know when I sat my GCSE's I began revising for half an hour every other day beginning in March and built up from there. On the other hand, when I sat my AS levels i started to revise round about this time of year and surprised myself. It's luck and the person you are. Start revising now and you know you tried regardless of your grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)
    im doing eng lit revision rn literally making cards for the stories (I watch videos from mr bruff and mrs whelan)
    french revision go on memrise and make an account they have GCSE vocab (its edexcel but its useful so just do it if its not your exam board) and just go through those

For Science I do past papers and use the CGP revision guide, it's really useful.
    For maths I went through all mathswatch clips and did so many papers and I've improved a lot from mocks. I got 109/240 in the mocks and since then I've done 3 sets of Pearson papers and got 158/240, 167/240 and 158/240. Mathsgenie is really useful too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faloodeh)

Science ; freesciencelessons on YouTube is really really good. He mostly goes by AQA but you can really use him for any exam board. He also has flash cards that you can print out that are really helpful on his website (freesciencelessons)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa)
    2 days are enough to study for GCSEs. That being said, it's not recommended.

As for advice: One word. Past papers.
    That's 2 words mate

ReputationRep:
    That's two words buddy, I can see someone who didn't do too well on their English GCSE.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.