spofy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
sooo ive been doing exam questions and when marking 'what's the structural formula' questions ive found that sometimes in the mark scheme they show the thing with all the bonds shown between atoms and other times they want the whole CH3CH.... etc. thing... what exactly do they want im so confused
lemonandlime1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Structural formula would be the CH3CH2..... etc
The displayed formula you show the bonds
spofy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemonandlime1)
Structural formula would be the CH3CH2..... etc
The displayed formula you show the bonds
that's what i thought haha but the mark schemes have different stuff and google says they're both considered 'structural' but the one with just the letters is 'condensed structural' whereas the one we see as displayed is also structural.. yeah idkk

Name:  1.png
Views: 230
Size:  50.9 KB

websites seem to show 'displayed' as 'structural' too so
i ended up writing/drawing both versions but idk if they'd penalise me for that in the real exam or whether they would consider it as working out
lemonandlime1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't do aqa but I do wjec
Anyway my teacher have said that is it's displayed then draw the bonds if it's structural then don't

However sometimes if they ask for displayed formula they will give the structural formula in the markscheme to save them time when making the mark scheme. It will still be right as they've asked for the displayed but the markscheme is actually just to save time
spofy
Rep:
?
(Original post by lemonandlime1)
I don't do aqa but I do wjec
Anyway my teacher have said that is it's displayed then draw the bonds if it's structural then don't

However sometimes if they ask for displayed formula they will give the structural formula in the markscheme to save them time when making the mark scheme. It will still be right as they've asked for the displayed but the markscheme is actually just to save time
ohhh that makes sense thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (432)
67.61%
No (207)
32.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise