The Student Room Group

Schools

I was just wondering what people thought about their chosen schools (in terms of whether they went to a comprehensive/private or whatever).

What are the advantages/disadvantages?/ Do you think you didn't get as good grades if you went to a comprehensive school or did it decrease your chances of a university place?/If you had the choice again would you make the same decision?

personally i think the type of teaching at private schools makes you a very competitive person and you're never satisfied unless you're the best at whatever you do, which i think is a difficult way to live. im glad i didnt go to one, i value my grades more because i know i wasnt pressured into doing well and it was all my own work rather than being spoon-fed.
LittleMinx
I was just wondering what people thought about their chosen schools (in terms of whether they went to a comprehensive/private or whatever).

What are the advantages/disadvantages?/ Do you think you didn't get as good grades if you went to a comprehensive school or did it decrease your chances of a university place?/If you had the choice again would you make the same decision?

personally i think the type of teaching at private schools makes you a very competitive person and you're never satisfied unless you're the best at whatever you do, which i think is a difficult way to live. im glad i didnt go to one, i value my grades more because i know i wasnt pressured into doing well and it was all my own work rather than being spoon-fed.

I went to a state funded grammar school. It had a very competitive atmosphere and was very sports focussed. I was put under a lot of pressure to apply to Oxford despite not wanting to go there. The interview process was so demoralising (I was the only person at interview who hadn't already done their A-Levels) that I became totally disillusioned and realised my school was just after statistics and was not genuinely interested in what was best for me (I should have had more backbone and stood up for my self though). Granted, the assumption upon entering the school that you would progess to university made it much more likely to get a University place, but a lot of good, intelligent people dropped out because the pressure was so intense and imho wrongly applied.
Reply 2
I went to a state school as although it would've been financially possibly for me to attend a private school, my parents don't believe in private education. I came out with pretty good results, and I was given opportunities at my school I wouldn't have otherwise had at a private school (e.g. the opportunity to be a ball girl at Wimbledon tennis)..... but in all honesty, I believe I would've got better GCSE results if I went to a private school. No regrets though...I still got very good GCSE results, 3 A's at A level, and I'm going to study a well-respected and challenging course at a very good university.
Reply 3
WOW! a ball girl at wimbledon. thats so cool!!!! :biggrin:

What is it your parents are against about private education?
grades aside, are you glad you went there? do you think it made you a better person?

Latest

Trending

Trending