The Student Room Group

Do you find programming fun ir are you in it for the money?

Scroll to see replies

I picked ICT and I thought I was going to be put for BTEC as I don't really like ICT but I did not expect to be picked for Computer Science, I never did it for the fun, just for the money because you know the IT industry is a new job in the 21 century so the pay is very very high!
Reply 21
Original post by UWS
Depends what kind of programming. If it's in Web Development then sure... Software Development is ewww.

Web development is software development.
Reply 22
I find programming fun, anyone that is in it for the money isn't a programmer.
I love it!! :love: it is my passion! The fact that I can create an app, a computer program or a game... it just makes me feel alive man :h:
Original post by IWMTom
After about 20 years the average salary is about £44k. It's a very high pressure field to earn those high salaries though, and not everyone gets promoted.

I found many jobs in the 50k+ region just by typing in the word Java

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by Got Milk
I found many jobs in the 50k+ region just by typing in the word Java

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's lovely, but hardly constitutes an average.
Original post by IWMTom
That's lovely, but hardly constitutes an average.

What I mean is there are alot of oppourtunities to earn good money in the industry as appose to other areas of IT, in support you would be lucky to gine 3 listings paying over 40k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by UWS
Depends what kind of programming. If it's in Web Development then sure... Software Development is ewww.

Whats wrong with software development?
Reply 28
What I mean is there are alot of oppourtunities to earn good money in the industry as appose to other areas of IT, in support you would be lucky to gine 3 listings paying over 40k

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only a small subset can hit those salaries though mate, that's why we use averages.
Original post by IWMTom
Only a small subset can hit those salaries though mate, that's why we use averages.

Missing the point. Let me put it simply so you can understand. The ratio of high paying jobs 50k+ in programming to the number of high paying jobs 50k+ in IT infastructure is greater in programming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Missing the point. Let me put it simply so you can understand. The ratio of high paying jobs 50k+ in programming to the number of high paying jobs 50k+ in IT infastructure is greater in programming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If there was an emoji for a facepalm you'd be getting it right about now.

"The ratio of payouts above a million is higher in the Lotto than Euromillions, therefore you're going to win the jackpot it you play the Euromillions". Logical fallacy in your argument structure right there.

The debate was "there's big money in programming" - my rebuttal was that the average salary is not particularly all that high, and only the top 10% of developers earn what would be classed as a high grade salary.

If you're lucky and have the right contacts, sure, you've got a good chance of getting paid megabucks - the AVERAGE salary, however, is in line with many other industries.

You can't cherry pick data to support your argument if you want to be taken seriously. In comparison to less skilled jobs, salaries are higher, in comparison to higher skilled jobs, salaries are lower. Statistically there are outliers, which is why we use averages to analyse data.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
If there was an emoji for a facepalm you'd be getting it right about now.

"The ratio of payouts above a million is higher in the Lotto than Euromillions, therefore you're going to win the jackpot it you play the Euromillions". Logical fallacy in your argument structure right there.

The debate was "there's big money in programming" - my rebuttal was that the average salary is not particularly all that high, and only the top 10% of developers earn what would be classed as a high grade salary.

If you're lucky and have the right contacts, sure, you've got a good chance of getting paid megabucks - the AVERAGE salary, however, is in line with many other industries.

You can't cherry pick data to support your argument if you want to be taken seriously. In comparison to less skilled jobs, salaries are higher, in comparison to higher skilled jobs, salaries are lower. Statistically there are outliers, which is why we use averages to analyse data.

Sigh Im not talking averages that convo ended. As stated Im talking about there being a high number of high paying programming jobs, really dont see why you aren't understanding that. Just because you earn peanuts doesn't mean its a result of lack of higher paid jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Sigh Im not talking averages that convo ended. As stated Im talking about there being a high number of high paying programming jobs, really dont see why you aren't understanding that. Just because you earn peanuts doesn't mean its a result of lack of higher paid jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are such jobs, but simply not enough to go around to everyone who applies. It is down to luck of the draw - the rest must settle for a lower paid alternative, or go without. Just because the jobs are out there does not mean everyone who goes down this career path is guaranteed to have an amazing salary.

The argument has been made that only a small subset of applicants will be successful for the top tier roles, and thus receive the high salaries. The same principle applies to any profession.

I'm afraid that I must give up; you have absolutely no coherent logic to support your theory, and your ability to formulate a sensible argument is flawed at best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending