The Student Room Group

Samaritans Helpline

----------
(edited 6 years ago)
Why? Hope you're okay!

But yes they'll help you! They're there for a reason don't suffer in silence x
Original post by geminitwinsx
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Samaritans Hepline and if so what was it like? Was a good experience or a bad one? I'd like to contact them but I'm just worried about the response I might have. I know there's always going to be the odd bad experince but I'd just like to know if most of the time it is good or not. And what's it like? What sort of things do they say?

Thanks!

They are there to listen. Its not interactive really.

You might be better off ringing childline 0800 1111
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has used the Samaritans Hepline and if so what was it like? Was a good experience or a bad one? I'd like to contact them but I'm just worried about the response I might have. I know there's always going to be the odd bad experince but I'd just like to know if most of the time it is good or not. And what's it like? What sort of things do they say?

Thanks!

Yes. I have used the samaritans helpline. In fact it's still saved as "sam" on my phone.
I've had good and bad experiences. Bad mostly on my part tbf, meaning I was obvs too far out of reach and not willing to open up still.
Most of the time, it's been good. It's worth it if you're feeling down just for no reason, or due to something hat has happened in the past or is going on in the present or worries about future even. It's especially useful when feeling suicidal.
Generally they startthe call with "hello, how can i help you" then i sometimes get the questions " okay how does that make you feel?" Etc.
Just ring, then if you don't feel up for it, you can say so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay thankyou so much for responding! x
I've been a volunteer for it before and some of the stories I was faced with when taking the calls left me feeling haunted and not able to sleep properly for a few days.

The best I ever did was convince someone that there is so much meaning to their life that they needn't jump off a multi storey car park.
Original post by The Snowman
I've been a volunteer for it before and some of the stories I was faced with when taking the calls left me feeling haunted and not able to sleep properly for a few days.

The best I ever did was convince someone that there is so much meaning to their life that they needn't jump off a multi storey car park.

Wow! That must have felt so rewarding! Well done! <3
Wow! That must have felt so rewarding! Well done! <3

Sadly, owing to the mental health problems I started having myself I had to put the phone down for the final time after five months doing what felt so good in talking people out of ending their lives. :sad: :moon:
as someone who suffers from anxiety etc I have rang them a few times it helps to have someone to talk to and I often don't. What I have found is it varies depending on whom you get at the other end. You have to remember these are just people its not a universal machine sometimes they are distant and dismissive sometimes they are helpful it really depends on who you get.

Some of them literally just want to check if your suicidal and if your not or say no will try to end the call as quickly as possible whilst others will talk and be helpful.
I dont get the suicide thing if I was ever truly suicidal I would never tell anyone for fear of the men in white coats. There have only ever been two occasions in my life when i was actually feeling suicidal and in neither of those situations did I tell anyone. Randomly one girl somehow spotted me worked it out and talked me out of it despite me never mentioning it.

Before anyone says get help this was in the past things worked out and I am quite happy now. I just am more commenting on the fact that if I felt suicidal I wouldn't tell anyone so it doesn't make sense to ask me that.

Anyway yeah Samaritans it depends who you get really.

I can imagine. The world is sometimes a truly sad place, the people in it sometimes truly inhuman. I've heard really terrible stories too and it's quite heartbreaking.

Wow, that's great. It's overwhelming to have someone's life in your hands, so to speak, yet a gratifying sensation when you are able to be of help to them and in a way, save their life. A rewarding thing.

I wonder if volunteers ever get bad experiences themselves from the people they are trying to help.
:sadnod:

Sometimes I would end up having dreams of jumping off tall structures or drowning myself when I have no desire to do so in real life.
:sadnod:

Sometimes I would end up having dreams of jumping off tall structures or drowning myself when I have no desire to do so in real life.

Guess it plays on the mind, that's why.
It can vary but in general they're very good. They're there to listen not give advice, but brilliant just as someone to talk to most of the time about what's going on for you. I struggle on the phone and am also afraid of someone overhearing me, but have used their email service a few times which whilst slow is also worth it. Going to move this to mental health where you'll get more replies but hope you're okay OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
It can vary but in general they're very good. They're there to listen not give advice, but brilliant just as someone to talk to most of the time about what's going on for you. I struggle on the phone and am also afraid of someone overhearing me, but have used their email service a few times which whilst slow is also worth it. Going to move this to mental health where you'll get more replies but hope you're okay OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thankyou, I didn't want to post it here but I couldn't find the mental health forum and I don't know how to move my threads so thankyou :smile:
I've never used the Samaritans but I have used my university's Nightline. The first time I used it I spoke on the phone to someones, then I discovered they had a text service and from them on have just texted them. I know it's not the Samaritans but it's somewhat similar and like people have said, some people are more 'useful' than others, but on the whole I only have positive things to say. It's been there when I've needed it the most.
I hate talking on the phone so I used their email service instead, from my experience i think theyre good if you want someone to talk to. However, because they cant give advice and stuff i don't find them that helpful

Quick Reply

Latest