jacas
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone,

So I am having a bit of a headache trying to decide which offer I should accept and I thought some of you might be able to give me some advice.

I've seen similar topic on this forum but it was from 2007 and I know a lot has changed (for good) during the last 10 years when it comes to Computing at Napier.

My choices are Computer Systems (2nd year entry) at Heriot-Watt or Software Engineering at Napier (3rd year entry with an HND).

I really enjoy programming and obviously I would like to maximize my chances of getting a good job once I graduate.

I know Heriot-Watt is regarded higher both in general and for School of Computing and ranks a lot higher in CompUni guide, Guardian rankings etc but I've also seen a lot of people saying how good Napier's computing facilities are and how industry-minded courses are, I've even seen somewhere that apparently Napier ranks 1st for graduate employment in computing in the UK (which makes their poor ratings seem even more baffling to me).

So my problem is whether it's worth doing that extra year at Heriot-Watt while also not studying strictly Software Engineering but more general CS instead if I could go to Napier, graduate in 2 years time and also be quite confident of getting a good job?

Your views will be much appreciated!

Cheers
Heriot-Watt University
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jacas)
Hello everyone,

So I am having a bit of a headache trying to decide which offer I should accept and I thought some of you might be able to give me some advice.

I've seen similar topic on this forum but it was from 2007 and I know a lot has changed (for good) during the last 10 years when it comes to Computing at Napier.

My choices are Computer Systems (2nd year entry) at Heriot-Watt or Software Engineering at Napier (3rd year entry with an HND).

I really enjoy programming and obviously I would like to maximize my chances of getting a good job once I graduate.

I know Heriot-Watt is regarded higher both in general and for School of Computing and ranks a lot higher in CompUni guide, Guardian rankings etc but I've also seen a lot of people saying how good Napier's computing facilities are and how industry-minded courses are, I've even seen somewhere that apparently Napier ranks 1st for graduate employment in computing in the UK (which makes their poor ratings seem even more baffling to me).

So my problem is whether it's worth doing that extra year at Heriot-Watt while also not studying strictly Software Engineering but more general CS instead if I could go to Napier, graduate in 2 years time and also be quite confident of getting a good job?

Your views will be much appreciated!

Cheers
Hi Jacas,

Heriot-Watt University here :awesome:

We are pleased to hear you are considering our offer.

Heriot-Watt has an excellent record for graduate employability (96% of our Computer Systems students are in work or further study 6 months after graduation) and the Computer Systems degree takes regular advice form a panel of local industrialists to keep the material studied relevant and fresh.

As a graduate you will have to learn many new skills over the course of your career and our Computer Systems degree will provide you with the ability to learn new concepts fast. The degree will also give you exemption from the British Computer Society professional examinations.

Regarding our facilities, our new Robotarium, a state-of-the-art equipment facility, will open later this year thanks to £8m of support from the UK's Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC). This will be a world-class, high-performance, parallel computing and robotics facility that you will be able to take advantage of as a student here at Heriot-Watt. You can read more about it here and here.

Our Computer Systems degree is more technically-focused than Software Engineering at Napier. We offer Hardware-Software Interface, Language Processors and Programming Languages courses that are lacking in the Software Engineering degree. You can see details of the courses within our degree here.

Best of luck with your decision :gthumb:

We would be delighted to welcome you as a new student this September.

Department of Computer Science,
Heriot-Watt University
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (119)
65.03%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
21.31%
Yes but I might change my mind (25)
13.66%

Watched Threads