Jojonoodlepunch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys, I'm studying abroad at goldsmiths for a year and trying to not relive freshmen year by living with a bunch of them. What hall will give me the best chance of avoiding that? Is living off campus generally cheaper? I will be 21 when I study there and just want to be around others my age.
colourwheel123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey, what do you mean by a "bunch of them"?
Jojonoodlepunch
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by colourwheel123)
Hey, what do you mean by a "bunch of them"?
At my school we have dorms that are known freshmen dorms where everyone who lives there with a few exceptions is a freshmen so I just want to avoid being in like a freshmen party dorm. I just want to be around people who already know each other and are more low key.
abbych
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm not at Goldsmiths (yet!) but I'm currently looking at the 2017 accommodation guide. From looking at it I would say avoid Batavia Mews (due to large flat sizes, however it is the cheapest and accepts postgraduates which the majority of the other halls don't, something to consider about the type of people it will attract), Loring Hall (300 students, likely to be loud, next to a pub, popular with freshers). From reading threads on here I would also say avoid Chesterman House (*one person said*) it's known for flat parties, also next to a pub. Surrey House Annexe seems to be a good one for a quieter vibe as there is only 48 rooms (in a previous thread someone mentions the annexe being a quieter option).

Can't really tell you much about student housing since I plan on moving into halls, but I would say check out UoL Student Homes. You would be with other Goldsmiths students and there isn't a private landlord. Not sure whether it would be cheaper.

With all that said I'mstarting Goldsmiths in September so I don't really know just what I can gather from the threads on here and deciphering what I know from UK university halls in general and from other universities (e.g. uni halls my friends and siblings are at and the uni halls that I live near).

(Also this is obviously not ideal but if you do end up in a flat in halls that isn't your style then you can talk to hall management or Goldsmiths about switching to a better suited accommodation)

Can't seem to link the aforementioned thread, however it is called "Best hall at goldsmiths??" posted by 'leeoon', 'chazbc4' has the informative reply. It is from 2012 but I would say the vibe of a hall is unlikely to change.

Good luck & enjoy your year in London
Thallo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by abbych)
I'm not at Goldsmiths (yet!) but I'm currently looking at the 2017 accommodation guide. From looking at it I would say avoid Batavia Mews (due to large flat sizes, however it is the cheapest and accepts postgraduates which the majority of the other halls don't, something to consider about the type of people it will attract), Loring Hall (300 students, likely to be loud, next to a pub, popular with freshers). From reading threads on here I would also say avoid Chesterman House (*one person said*) it's known for flat parties, also next to a pub. Surrey House Annexe seems to be a good one for a quieter vibe as there is only 48 rooms (in a previous thread someone mentions the annexe being a quieter option).

Can't really tell you much about student housing since I plan on moving into halls, but I would say check out UoL Student Homes. You would be with other Goldsmiths students and there isn't a private landlord. Not sure whether it would be cheaper.

With all that said I'mstarting Goldsmiths in September so I don't really know just what I can gather from the threads on here and deciphering what I know from UK university halls in general and from other universities (e.g. uni halls my friends and siblings are at and the uni halls that I live near).

(Also this is obviously not ideal but if you do end up in a flat in halls that isn't your style then you can talk to hall management or Goldsmiths about switching to a better suited accommodation)

Can't seem to link the aforementioned thread, however it is called "Best hall at goldsmiths??" posted by 'leeoon', 'chazbc4' has the informative reply. It is from 2012 but I would say the vibe of a hall is unlikely to change.

Good luck & enjoy your year in London
Hey, how is goldsmith? I am also starting Uni this September at goldsmiths.
Is batavia Mews really that bad?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Goldsmiths, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 6 Nov '19
  • Goldsmiths, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening - Wednesday 20 November Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (24)
68.57%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
14.29%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
17.14%

Watched Threads