The Student Room Group

transfering med school

Ive recently got in to manchester med school, although for several personal reasons id really wanted to stay in newcastle. Is it possible to transfer med schools, at any piont throughout my degree? im happy to have got into medicine, dont think im ungrateful, just wantng to know if theres a way
Med school courses vary so much that you can basically say no: its not possible to transfer.

Its certainly not worth assuming you can - either be happy with your decision (you will still have holidays, skype etc). or decide its totally impossible and drop out.
Reply 2
I have got into a med school i didnt particularly ant to go to, but not the one i had really wnated to. i have heard that dropping out in order to reply would likely mean that you would be automaticlly rejected as you were a drop out. Waht do people think about accepting a place, sitting a new UKCAT this year, and then if its strong enough i beleive id get into the med school i really want to rejecting my creent offer before the year began. Would there be any negative consequences?
Original post by jakeyBlewis
I have got into a med school i didnt particularly ant to go to, but not the one i had really wnated to. i have heard that dropping out in order to reply would likely mean that you would be automaticlly rejected as you were a drop out. Waht do people think about accepting a place, sitting a new UKCAT this year, and then if its strong enough i beleive id get into the med school i really want to rejecting my creent offer before the year began. Would there be any negative consequences?

The negative consequences would be that you might not get in, and statistically that's what happens to the majority of med school applicants each year. Take a step back, think about it logically, and realise how much of a gamble you'd be taking.

Why are you having second thoughts about the med school you've got into?
Reply 4
yer but would i stand any worse odds than anyone else?
poor heath in the family, so not waanting to be away from them
yer but would i stand any worse odds than anyone else?
poor heath in the family, so not waanting to be away from them

If you don't actually matriculate at the med school and you withdraw your offer before starting, then you can't really be classed as having dropped out.

So you shouldn't, as far as I am aware, be at any extra disadvantage - you just run the risk of not getting into the med school you want during the next admissions cycle.

Do you have any information about why you didn't get into your first choice med school this year? And do you have a plan about what you'd do if you didn't get in again?
Reply 6
ive spoke to someone on the admission cycle and they said that its likely due to my UKCAT score. Which would make sense as i met the accidemic level (three As at A level, with 2 additional As at a B, and im doing a biomendince degree, which ill either get a first or a high 2:1 in), ive done several work experiences in different wards in a hospital and a GPs, and shadowed a dentist vet and nurse just to rule out those options, and i volunteer for a local homless charity as well as my unis nightline. im hitting most criteria, ans my UKCAT was weeker than the score id got when i first applied to mediicne back for 2014 entry. She said id get more feedback this month which im busy trying to chase up.
Reply 7
thats why i was thinking of doing what i described above, i dont want to sound arrogant or anything, but i feel like the only area i really let myself down was my UKCAT score, so f i redo it and do well I feel i stand a decent chance of at least getting an interveiw.
but if i do bad id have already accepted my current offer and id jsust have to go there
Reply 8
its annoyiong i have to accept or decline by june the 1st, as i cant redo UKCAT till july 3rd
thats why i was thinking of doing what i described above, i dont want to sound arrogant or anything, but i feel like the only area i really let myself down was my UKCAT score, so f i redo it and do well I feel i stand a decent chance of at least getting an interveiw.
but if i do bad id have already accepted my current offer and id jsust have to go there

Still no guarantee you would get an interview, and absolutely no guarantee you'd get an offer no matter how high the UKCAT was.
At the end of the day, its a big gamble. As mentioned previously, there are loads of people who apply to medicine and don't get in. Especially since your a graduate, the places we get are even more limited! At the end of the day, if you do try your luck, you'll need to plan what your going to do for the next year eg. MSc, travelling, work, volunteering etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending