The Student Room Group

How do you find list of universities in clearing and adjustment for previous years.

I know that this varies every year and past results do not necessarily reflect what future results will be but there has to be general pattern that can be noticed and I realize clearing may be relevant this year and next year regardless of which year I finally end up going.

For example of the universities I am applying to this year it looks like my favorite choice is Nottingham followed by Manchester. Now hypothetically if all courses make offers then I can either use Manchester York Newcastle or the fifth as yet undecided university as my insurance.

Now as stated I predict my grades going anywhere from AB to A*A*. Now Nottingham and Manchester will likely make me the offers of A*A and AA respectively if they make me an offer. York Sheffield Southampton Newcastle and Cardiff etc (note I have yet to pick my fifth choice hence why this adds up to more then five) might make me an offer of AB.

so in the complete positive scenario in terms of offers I can firm Nottingham and insure Manchester but this means if the worst happens and I get the AB I might have no place. Now it seems silly to take that risk unless York Sheffield Southampton Newcastle and Cardiff are always in clearing. In which case it makes complete sense. Now I know that years vary etc but if in the past several years 3 or 4 of these have been in clearing consistently I should just pick my fav two and chance it. If most years none of these are in clearing and just occasionally one is it makes no sense to chance it and I should pick a safer insurance.

Now then there is also the situation of things going perfectly I get A*A* and decide to pull out of the application process and reapply at which point my likely five which keeps changing would probably be Oxbridge Imperial Warwick Maths Warwick MORSE and Nottingham.

Now in this scenario Nottingham would likely make me an unconditional and the rest would likely set a STEPS offer. which I might miss. so lets assume Warwick and Cambridge make me an offer as well or Imperial etc.

I can now firm Cambridge and insure Warwick/Imperial However if this goes pear shaped I could be left without a place at all. So maybe it makes sense to put Nottingham as the insurance?

Well the way I see it Nottingham Bristol Bath and Edinburgh are all about level. So again if some of these are in clearing every year it just makes sense to Firm Cambridge and insure Warwick or etc. However if not I should pick safer choices arguably?

This is going to affect me shortly as I have to make choices on my firm and insurance quite quickly over the next two weeks. and If I do really well will be relevant next year because with having self Taught Maths and Further Maths to A* standard in a single year I would think an offer from Warwick for Maths and for MORSE would be likely.

So I just want to know how to find clearing data for previous years so I can make my own mind up on whom to firm and insure etc.
Original post by Luke7456
I know that this varies every year and past results do not necessarily reflect what future results will be but there has to be general pattern that can be noticed and I realize clearing may be relevant this year and next year regardless of which year I finally end up going.

For example of the universities I am applying to this year it looks like my favorite choice is Nottingham followed by Manchester. Now hypothetically if all courses make offers then I can either use Manchester York Newcastle or the fifth as yet undecided university as my insurance.

Now as stated I predict my grades going anywhere from AB to A*A*. Now Nottingham and Manchester will likely make me the offers of A*A and AA respectively if they make me an offer. York Sheffield Southampton Newcastle and Cardiff etc (note I have yet to pick my fifth choice hence why this adds up to more then five) might make me an offer of AB.

so in the complete positive scenario in terms of offers I can firm Nottingham and insure Manchester but this means if the worst happens and I get the AB I might have no place. Now it seems silly to take that risk unless York Sheffield Southampton Newcastle and Cardiff are always in clearing. In which case it makes complete sense. Now I know that years vary etc but if in the past several years 3 or 4 of these have been in clearing consistently I should just pick my fav two and chance it. If most years none of these are in clearing and just occasionally one is it makes no sense to chance it and I should pick a safer insurance.

Now then there is also the situation of things going perfectly I get A*A* and decide to pull out of the application process and reapply at which point my likely five which keeps changing would probably be Oxbridge Imperial Warwick Maths Warwick MORSE and Nottingham.

Now in this scenario Nottingham would likely make me an unconditional and the rest would likely set a STEPS offer. which I might miss. so lets assume Warwick and Cambridge make me an offer as well or Imperial etc.

I can now firm Cambridge and insure Warwick/Imperial However if this goes pear shaped I could be left without a place at all. So maybe it makes sense to put Nottingham as the insurance?

Well the way I see it Nottingham Bristol Bath and Edinburgh are all about level. So again if some of these are in clearing every year it just makes sense to Firm Cambridge and insure Warwick or etc. However if not I should pick safer choices arguably?

This is going to affect me shortly as I have to make choices on my firm and insurance quite quickly over the next two weeks. and If I do really well will be relevant next year because with having self Taught Maths and Further Maths to A* standard in a single year I would think an offer from Warwick for Maths and for MORSE would be likely.

So I just want to know how to find clearing data for previous years so I can make my own mind up on whom to firm and insure etc.

You ll need to find a copy of the telegraph from last years results day :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You ll need to find a copy of the telegraph from last years results day :smile:

hmm I dont know where I could find that the local library doesn't have that the only thing I can think of is some autistic people who collect old Newspapers. However they wont want to give those up no matter how much money you offered.

Its their collection and they would be very anxious without it. I know this because I have had similar mentalities about similar things in the past. I still have my textbooks from A level Religious studies just in case even though I know I will never use these ever again. At least I think I still do, great now I am anxious about that.

so basically I have no chance of finding this.
hmm I dont know where I could find that the local library doesn't have that the only thing I can think of is some autistic people who collect old Newspapers. However they wont want to give those up no matter how much money you offered.

Its their collection and they would be very anxious without it. I know this because I have had similar mentalities about similar things in the past. I still have my textbooks from A level Religious studies just in case even though I know I will never use these ever again. At least I think I still do, great now I am anxious about that.

The library is likely to have it, only the ucas site and the telegraph has the rights to publish a full list. Occasionally you can find the universities website hasn't taken their listing down. From my memory last year Warwick and imperial weren't in clearing for maths, neither was bath I think. I know Nottingham was in clearing for some subjects but I m not sure about maths.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
The library is likely to have it, only the ucas site and the telegraph has the rights to publish a full list. Occasionally you can find the universities website hasn't taken their listing down. From my memory last year Warwick and imperial weren't in clearing for maths, neither was bath I think. I know Nottingham was in clearing for some subjects but I m not sure about maths.

Yeah I am not even entertaining the idea of Warwick or Imperial been in clearing for Maths that is just been silly.

I am more wondering whether Bath Nottingham Bristol and Edinburgh would be in clearing for Maths as those would relevant the following year I guess I can get the telegraph this year if My results go according to plan.

I guess i dont have to worry about those yet, I mean if Nottingham and Manchester reject me and I get AA I will likely just take what i can get in adjustment. However if I get A*A I will just pull out and go next year. Make an ambitious bid at Warwick Maths and Warwick MORSE hoping they will forgive resits or make some form of STEP offer.

So this year the universities that matter been in clearing for maths are York Newcastle Southampton Cardiff and Sheffield.

I am guessing these five would be in clearing the majority of years but that is a guess. if My guess is right I should just pick my fav two as safer choices are available in clearing should it come to the worst case scenario.
Yeah I am not even entertaining the idea of Warwick or Imperial been in clearing for Maths that is just been silly.

I am more wondering whether Bath Nottingham Bristol and Edinburgh would be in clearing for Maths as those would relevant the following year I guess I can get the telegraph this year if My results go according to plan.

I guess i dont have to worry about those yet, I mean if Nottingham and Manchester reject me and I get AA I will likely just take what i can get in adjustment. However if I get A*A I will just pull out and go next year. Make an ambitious bid at Warwick Maths and Warwick MORSE hoping they will forgive resits or make some form of STEP offer.

So this year the universities that matter been in clearing for maths are York Newcastle Southampton Cardiff and Sheffield.

I am guessing these five would be in clearing the majority of years but that is a guess. if My guess is right I should just pick my fav two as safer choices are available in clearing should it come to the worst case scenario.

I would go with your two favourite choices any day.

Your local reference library WILL have old newspapers.

Ask the librarians for help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending