The Student Room Group

Is Obama the most overrated man of this century?

I mean, seriously. He achieved very little before becoming President - he was just a mediocre lawyer, community organiser and a Senator for a few years. He was consistently promoted beyond his talents until finally he reached the office of President. He published two (highly overrated) memoirs, which it has now emerged were ghost-written. He had a reputation for being lazy and sleazy. He hung out with far-left activists and terrorists. As President, he has presided over America's decline on the world stage, the economy is in a far from solid position and he did nothing to address the concerns of an angry and resentful underclass which have now elected the blustering demagogue Donald Trump. Race relations are worse than they've ever been, but somehow he is still great because he is the first black President.

Obama seems particularly popular with young people, who think he's "cool". But there have been far "cooler" Presidents. Like Teddy Roosevelt, who, unlike Obama, actually had achievements before becoming President, including forming a company of "Rough Riders" who fought the Spanish in Cuba.

Honestly, people will be impressed by anything these days.

Scroll to see replies

Are you mad?

Look what Obama did for race relations in the US, by the time he left office they were better than any other time in history.

More blacks were receiving food stamps...

Only kidding...

He achieved nothing before he was president and achieved nothing as president.
Nope, Donald Trump is.
do you want a slap?
jk dont kill me!

well the who do u think has done alot for the country
Original post by XOR_
Nope, Donald Trump is.

Hardly, because nobody expects anything from Donald Trump not even the people who voted for him.
Original post by XOR_
Nope, Donald Trump is.

Oh, yeah. Donald Trump is totally overrated. Everybody's always all, "You know who is awesome and has no problems whatsoever? Donald Trump. The world was made a better place by Donald Trump being in it."

I agree. Donald Trump is beloved by everyone and is definitely overrated.
Reply 6
I agree… It's funny how people don't act in self interest e.g UK hates trump and wanted to ban him, but trump loves the UK. Obama hated the UK yet the UK loves him and when he came here people went crazy - people Scotland went wild when they found out he was coming soon.

Yet having relations with Trump is in the UKs best interest… idgi. As for his domestic policies - people always overreacted and trump is coming to his senses, also Americas domestic affairs shouldn't be our business.

As for his travel ban, you can blame Angela merekl for making such a big mistake. I made a post on Reddit back in 2015 about the effects the open door policy would have and was confused as to why no one was discussing ISIS smuggling terrorists despite their threats… and I was only 16. I didn't even read it somewhere else and agree, I saw the news and it just seemed obvious - checked for things ISIS said and thought why is no know seeing this.

Attachment not found

It says one year but it was posted July/august 2015 at the peak of the crisis
(edited 7 years ago)
Obama's popularity will have come from his ability to actually sound somewhat like a normal human being when speaking, which a lot of politicians seem to lack. I doubt it was much to do with his actual achievements, but more his personality.
Original post by XOR_
Nope, Donald Trump is.

Trump goes one of two ways, most people either think he's a lot better than he actually is or a lot worse than he actually is.
Original post by zayn008
I agree… It's funny how people don't act in self interest e.g UK hates trump and wanted to ban him, but trump loves the UK. Obama hated the UK yet the UK loves him and when he came here people went crazy - people Scotland went wild when they found out he was coming soon.

Yet having relations with Trump is in the UKs best interest… idgi. As for his domestic policies - people always overreacted and trump is coming to his senses, also Americas domestic affairs shouldn't be our business.

As for his travel ban, you can blame Angela merekl for making such a big mistake. I made a post on Reddit back in 2015 about the effects the open door policy would have and begged the question of why no one was discussing ISIS smuggling terrorists despite their threats.

You sound like a tory home sec or foreign sec.

I hated Obama, Trump is meh!
Original post by unillama
do you want a slap?
jk dont kill me!

well the who do u think has done alot for the country

Regan
Reply 10
Original post by fleky6910
You sound like a tory home sec or foreign sec.

I hated Obama, Trump is meh!

lol I think my foreign policy is very conservative - read my posted again, I've edited it with a post I made on Reddit a few years back… love to hear your comments on it
Original post by zayn008
lol I think my foreign policy is very conservative - read my posted again, I've edited it with a post I made on Reddit a few years back… love to hear your comments on it

You get my PM?

Yeah you are my favourite labour MP, you would fit decently well in my party tbh
Virtually every notable statesperson throughout history will have presided over some form of 'decline' in the estimation of both their political opponents and ideological peers alike. Yours is a rather jejune attempt at discourse from a position of modish contrarianism.
(edited 7 years ago)
Perhaps there was a point when he was indeed overrated but let's not exaggerate, he cannot be 'the most' overrated man of this century, there's plenty of competition.
Reply 14
It's just that the incompetency of Trump makes Obama look extra good.
Theodore Roosevelt's biography by Edmund Morris is one of the greatest books I've every read. Highly recommend.

Yes Obama was God-awfully incompetent. He even surpassed Bush in this regard. Worst President ever isn't even hyperbole.

The man who is the first US President to have two terms in a constanst state of war wins a nobel peace prize. How is that for irony? He was the architect of the refugee crisis, instigating colour revolutions all across the Middle East and unleashing blood splattered chaos in Libya and across the Levant. He callously approved the sales of arms to KSA so they could mercilessly bomb the most impoverished Arab country, Yemen, victims include wedding and funerals.

Liberals should have been outraged by this if they had a modicum of moral integrity yet they remained silent because he was black and Democrat.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Bretwalda Oswald
I mean, seriously. He achieved very little before becoming President - he was just a mediocre lawyer, community organiser and a Senator for a few years. He was consistently promoted beyond his talents until finally he reached the office of President. He published two (highly overrated) memoirs, which it has now emerged were ghost-written. He had a reputation for being lazy and sleazy. He hung out with far-left activists and terrorists. As President, he has presided over America's decline on the world stage, the economy is in a far from solid position and he did nothing to address the concerns of an angry and resentful underclass which have now elected the blustering demagogue Donald Trump. Race relations are worse than they've ever been, but somehow he is still great because he is the first black President.

Obama seems particularly popular with young people, who think he's "cool". But there have been far "cooler" Presidents. Like Teddy Roosevelt, who, unlike Obama, actually had achievements before becoming President, including forming a company of "Rough Riders" who fought the Spanish in Cuba.

Honestly, people will be impressed by anything these days.

My answer to your Q = No.
Original post by fleky6910
You get my PM?

Yeah you are my favourite labour MP, you would fit decently well in my party tbh

What drives me crazy is that only in this current political climate would most of the people being called 'Conservative' be considered so.

The left are pushing the centre away in favour of a 1920s/30s Fascist vs Communist vibe.

Except the 'Fascists' are everyone who isn't far left.

I would be considered economically Conservative, lean liberal on Social Policy and be very much in favour of decentralisation of powers rather than the slow bureaucratic bloat that we are currently experiencing. In a truly global society, which we are drifting towards, there are only two ways of handling this: An overarching supergovernment or a slow regionalisation of powers. The problem with the former is that the rules that work for downtown Manhattan probably aren't useful to rural Wales.
Hmm...well when you put it like that...:beard:
Reply 19
Certainly better than the odious idiot they have now put at the helm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending