How did the Alpha Scattering Experiment disprove the Plum Pudding Model?

Watch
Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Also, did the plum pudding state that all the electrons located around it had the same charge as the 'positive' region but opposite?
rickH123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well the Alpha Experiement showed that there was matter in the centre of the atom. Also it showed that the matter is positively charged, because some rays were deflected by 4 degrees. This is because alpha particles are positive, and it being deflected meant that there is positive matter in the centre. Whereas if it was the old plum pudding model, it would have been a different result.
Bertybassett
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What would the different result have been if it had been the plum pudding model?

Posted from TSR Mobile
safa_k
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
What would the different result have been if it had been the plum pudding model?

Posted from TSR Mobile
well, the plum pudding model was essentially a positively charged sphere with electrons embedded in it, thus you could say its neutral. so if an alpha particle, with a positive charge, went through this it wouldn't be deflected????? I think???? what rutherford's experiment really showed was the evidence of the nucleus and its size.
A.J.Rimmer
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
Also, did the plum pudding state that all the electrons located around it had the same charge as the 'positive' region but opposite?
The Plum Pudding model is: a sphere of positive charge, punctuated with negatively charged electrons (like a plum pudding). The charge of the positive sphere would equal the same as the electrons, but reversed, like you said, because they knew atoms were neutral.

The Alpha Scattering Experiment had three outcomes, and they proved different things:
1) Most of the particles passed through the foil in a straight line. Therefore, most of the atom must be empty space.
2) Some particles were deflected back towards the source. Therefore, the atom must have a nucleus. This nucleus must be massive (i.e. heavy (not necessarily large)), as alpha particles bounce off it. However, as point 1 says, most of the atom is empty, so the nucleus must be very small, and so therefore it is very dense.
3) Some particles went off at weird angles after passing through the foil. Therefore, the nucleus has a positive charge as the electromagnetic force must be what pushes the (positively charged) alpha particles off course.

In conclusion, an atom is:
-Mainly empty space and the centre is a small, dense nucleus with a positive charge.

This does not fit the plum pudding model (e.g. the 'sphere of positive charge' is not the same as 'empty space'), so therefore the evidence disproves it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.62%
Uncertainty around my education (212)
15.53%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (151)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (192)
14.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.32%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (78)
5.71%
Loneliness (123)
9.01%
Financial worries (47)
3.44%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.62%
Exposure to negative news/social media (63)
4.62%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.27%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.64%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (124)
9.08%

Watched Threads