Condensation polymerisation question Watch

coconut64
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Explain why nylon-6 can be classified as a polyamide (2 marks)

Is this because Nylon-6 canreact together to form a polymer which contains the amide bond. The only functional group in the polymer is amide group.

Explain why some chemists classify nylon-6 as an addition polymer and not a
condensation polymer. (3 marks)

-Nylon-6 forms a polymer by opening up the ring, which is similar to the breaking of the c=c bond in alkenes to form an addition polymer.
-No product is formed in addition polymerisation but a small molecule is removed from condensation reaction
-Since no molecule is removed from the polymerisation of nylon-6, it is more an addition polymerisation ?

Explain Kevlar can be classified as a condensation polymer (2 marks)

I said water molecules are removed after the polymer is formed. Also both monomers that react together to make kevlar are not alkenes.

Is my answer right? What more can I add ? Thanks
Gerry-Atricks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by coconut64)
Explain why nylon-6 can be classified as a polyamide (2 marks)

Is this because Nylon-6 canreact together to form a polymer which contains the amide bond. The only functional group in the polymer is amide group.

Explain why some chemists classify nylon-6 as an addition polymer and not a
condensation polymer. (3 marks)

-Nylon-6 forms a polymer by opening up the ring, which is similar to the breaking of the c=c bond in alkenes to form an addition polymer.
-No product is formed in addition polymerisation but a small molecule is removed from condensation reaction
-Since no molecule is removed from the polymerisation of nylon-6, it is more an addition polymerisation ?

Explain Kevlar can be classified as a condensation polymer (2 marks)

I said a water molecule is removed after the polymer is formed. Also both monomers that react together to make kevlar are not alkenes.

Is my answer right? What more can I add ? Thanks
i think the second one is right- id just define condensation polymerisation in question- joining up of monomers with removal of a small molecule and say kevlar follows that, but content is right
The first one sounds right to me as well tho i havent come across that question style so im not sure, but the reasoning looks solid to me- what board are you on- this doesnt seem like Uk a level content?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads