The Student Room Group

Organic question help

image.jpgCan somebody explain to me why the answer is that in (f). Thanks! ):
Original post by Snowie9
Can somebody explain to me why the answer is that in (f). Thanks! ):

Why do you think it wouldn't be? Have you learned about acid anhydrides?
That's not the displayed formula btw
The reason it's one isomer that reacts and not the other is that only one has the COOH groups in the correct orientation :smile:

Regarding the product, the OH group of one of the COOH groups attacks into the other carbonyl, with loss of the other OH :smile: Try drawing out the mechanism and hopefully that makes sense :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TeachChemistry
That's not the displayed formula btw

That is the answer in the answer scheme
Reply 5
Original post by dragonkeeper999
The reason it's one isomer that reacts and not the other is that only one has the COOH groups in the correct orientation :smile:

Regarding the product, the OH group of one of the COOH groups attacks into the other carbonyl, with loss of the other OH :smile: Try drawing out the mechanism and hopefully that makes sense :smile:

What type of mechanism is this called? I can't find it in the textbook 😞
Original post by Snowie9
What type of mechanism is this called? I can't find it in the textbook 😞

I don't know about the 'type' of mechanism, it's just basic nucleophilic attack of the nucleophilic OH into the electrophilic carbonyl... Perhaps try not to focus too much on just memorising the examples given in the textbook, learn to apply the general principals to different situations :smile:
Original post by Snowie9
That is the answer in the answer scheme

You need to draw the carbon atoms for a displayed structure.
Reply 8
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I don't know about the 'type' of mechanism, it's just basic nucleophilic attack of the nucleophilic OH into the electrophilic carbonyl... Perhaps try not to focus too much on just memorising the examples given in the textbook, learn to apply the general principals to different situations :smile:

Ohh ok. Thanks so much for your help! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest