The Student Room Group

QuickDrink poll: should 9am lectures be banned??

Scroll to see replies

Every Uni housing estate should have the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket there at 0600 every day.
Reply 41
Most standard office jobs start at or before 9 so it's getting students used to a normal working life cos I mean if you're going to uni chances are you're gonna be working 9 to 5 in an office. If you can't function at your best at that time then you're screwed basically. So no don't ban early lectures
Reply 42
Even if you were to push the 9AM lectures back - even by an hour or two (or even putting the earliest lecture at like 12pm). A lot of people would still avoid them due to laziness / being hungover etc. If someone really wanted to go to their lectures and engage with them, then they would find ways to accommodate those early starts. It is not really a case of them being 'too early to function' it's more a case of people having other things that they would rather do - sleep, party the night before etc. In the case of students with disabilities / extenuating circumstances whom struggle to make those starts then that is entirely a different matter.
Reply 43
Instead make 08:00 lectures the norm..
Reply 44
I honestly miss all my 9am lectures because i cannot for the life of me sleep before 2am
I have tried several times sleeping earlier by not using my phone or laptop, taking long baths etc but I accept I am a night person in a morning person's world.
I would love if lectures past 9am but I doubt it because it is inconvenient for the lecturers to start their day later as well.
No, if I can get up at 7 for a 12 hour shift at work starting at 7:45 people can get up for a 9am lecture
First of all what is wrong with you to find 9am such an 'early' time that you feel 9am lectures must be banned altogether? You're not gonna pass out just because you need to wake up at a normal time a couple of times a week. If a person who is against 9am lectures to this extent can't actually physically do this, they must be doing something stupid like going to bed ridiculously late the night (or should I say morning) before, or drinking tonnes.

Above all though, if you're really so allergic to 9am lectures, then don't go. Problem solved; just read the lecture notes or whatever for those particular lectures.
Reply 47
Should 9am job starts be banned?
That's the time primary and secondary schools starts. They should be used to it by now.
No, I had my lectures from 8 am and that was fine. Plus, a lot of jobs have different start times, I have shifts starting as early as 6 am which means I need to get up at 3 am to get ready :colonhash:
Obviously not. The day 9am starts at jobs are banned is the day when you can consider this
yes, a girl needs her sleep lol (im just kidding i could care less whether it was banned or not)
Original post by zero766
Obviously not. The day 9am starts at jobs are banned is the day when you can consider this

Except of course the vast majority of those in full time employment are older and who have hours of productivity earlier than teenagers (the vast majority of students). As far as I can see with the amount you pay for a university degree, it should be set up for you to get as much out of it as possible. So, if a few universities were to trial later starts and observe better academic attainment (tbh you could get a decent insight by comparing modules with predominantly early lectures and predominantly later lectures), then it's something that should be adopted, not just dismissed to satisfy people with a weird desire to see students suffer because "they have to too", rather than see people handed the chance to make themselves more successful.
I had a lecture at 5.30pm in my first year. I can't be the only one who hates lectures at that time? Thankfully, we only had half a day at uni.

Personally, I function better with the slightly earlier lectures.
I need a solid 8 hours sleep and I struggle to get up in the morning, but I wouldn't ban 9 AM lectures, I have to get up a 5 AM for work often. if people can't get up earlier they should go to sleep earlier and build up a routine. Il stay up some nights and pay for it the next morning but I wouldn't expect anyone else to fit around the fact that I chose to have a late night.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Except of course the vast majority of those in full time employment are older and who have hours of productivity earlier than teenagers (the vast majority of students). As far as I can see with the amount you pay for a university degree, it should be set up for you to get as much out of it as possible. So, if a few universities were to trial later starts and observe better academic attainment (tbh you could get a decent insight by comparing modules with predominantly early lectures and predominantly later lectures), then it's something that should be adopted, not just dismissed to satisfy people with a weird desire to see students suffer because "they have to too", rather than see people handed the chance to make themselves more successful.

Not true. There are many 18 year olds working full time jobs, and for most people, uni only lasts 3 years. Therefore most people are in a full time job by 21. Trust me, most 21 year olds don't want to be working at 9am.

Do you really believe that work starts at 9am because it's in the best interest of employees? Absolutely not. It's slowly just became standard since it's the most common, plus 9-5 are the brightest hours when humans are supposed to be awake.

You're completely misunderstanding my point. It's not so much about you suffering as others have to, although this does make sense.

"with the amount you pay for a university degree"
You pay nothing until you're earning over 21k, and considering the average salary is like 17k, most students are never going to be even making repayments. Assuming you did earn over 21k, the repayments are crazy small that you're unlikely to ever re-pay the whole loan in a lifetime anyway.

My final point: This is a poor idea because uni needs to prepare you for working life. There are so many students who are already out of touch with reality, partying every weekend and going in for a couple of hours a day. That all changes when you've got to work for some moron for 8 hours every day without your 4 week half term breaks, student nights etc. If you make it so they don't ever start at 9am, oh my god. It's going to be like a fairy tale.
Original post by zero766
Not true. There are many 18 year olds working full time jobs, and for most people, uni only lasts 3 years. Therefore most people are in a full time job by 21. Trust me, most 21 year olds don't want to be working at 9am.

Which bit isn't true? if you're arguing that the vast majority of workers aren't older then you're laughably wrong and need to learn about demographics.

Do you really believe that work starts at 9am because it's in the best interest of employees?

It's it's the best interest of the employer to have people in during their most productive hours - when it comes to universities, the best interests of the students and of the university are one and the same - a university wants to be recognised as providing a top quality education, and students want to receive a top quality education.

You're completely misunderstanding my point. It's not so much about you suffering as others have to, although this does make sense.

So how exactly am i supposed to read a series of posts saying if they have to get up for work that early then students should too? All of that screams petty spite.

"with the amount you pay for a university degree"
You pay nothing until you're earning over 21k, and considering the average salary is like 17k, most students are never going to be even making repayments. Assuming you did earn over 21k, the repayments are crazy small that you're unlikely to ever re-pay the whole loan in a lifetime anyway.

average salary is far higher than 17k, and just saying that you pay when you start earning is pointless sematics that does nothing to contest the point.

My final point: This is a poor idea because uni needs to prepare you for working life. There are so many students who are already out of touch with reality, partying every weekend and going in for a couple of hours a day. That all changes when you've got to work for some moron for 8 hours every day without your 4 week half term breaks, student nights etc. If you make it so they don't ever start at 9am, oh my god. It's going to be like a fairy tale.

That quite frankly is nonsense. the purpose of university first of all is to teach the subject. But beyond that you talk as if students lose a lot of free time when they go into work, nothing could be further from the truth - with a properly structured work day you've got far more free time in work than you have as a student - for a start you can leave at half five and then not touch work until the following day
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
School starts around or before 9am. Jobs usually start around or before 9am. And everyone has a different Circadian rhythm, so it's a fallacy to say that eveyone would learn better later in the day.

Having gone to uni after 10 years in a job which required me to be at my desk by 7:15am, 9am lectures were a breeze. It's all a matter of perspective - my three years at uni gave me five lie-ins a week.
Which bit isn't true? if you're arguing that the vast majority of workers aren't older then you're laughably wrong and need to learn about demographics.
The idea that every young person is a student and everybody older is in work is equally laughable.

It's it's the best interest of the employer to have people in during their most productive hours - when it comes to universities, the best interests of the students and of the university are one and the same - a university wants to be recognised as providing a top quality education, and students want to receive a top quality education.
But 9am is not the most productive start for work either. This is my point. Literally nobody I know says that they love starting as early as 9am. But seeing as most jobs demand this, it's something you just have to deal with.

So how exactly am i supposed to read a series of posts saying if they have to get up for work that early then students should too? All of that screams petty spite.
Nothing to do with spite. It's about equality. What you're saying is almost like labelling an employed person as spiteful because they also want somebody on benefits to have to work for their money.

average salary is far higher than 17k
17k was a guess. I think it might actually be lower. It's with no doubt not "far higher" than 17k. Are you living on another planet? I guess you're looking at the government statistics. Government stats are designed to make it look like everything is great. Average salary from ONS is calculated via the mean, which means the few people earning ridiculous salaries (into the millions) inflate the lower wages.

Take 10 people for example. 9 are on £18,000 per year. 1 is on £1,500,000 per year as a CEO. Guess what the average is? £166,200. We both KNOW this is complete and utter :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. Surely you're smart enough to understand that what you've been told in relation to average salaries is a load of rubbish, having read my data above. If not, feel free to reply and I can give you further evidence in the form of web links.

and just saying that you pay when you start earning is pointless sematics that does nothing to contest the point.

Not at all pointless. You told me that since you've paid huge fees, you deserve to be able to start when you want. In reality, you haven't paid huge fees, you've taken out a loan. A special kind of loan (which would never happen in any other circumstance) where you make such small repayments that the lender will, in most cases, never get most of their money back.

That quite frankly is nonsense. the purpose of university first of all is to teach the subject. But beyond that you talk as if students lose a lot of free time when they go into work, nothing could be further from the truth - with a properly structured work day you've got far more free time in work than you have as a student - for a start you can leave at half five and then not touch work until the following day
Not sure how old you are but you sound somewhat naive. When you start a job, you can forget 4-5 week holidays. You'll be hard pushed for 20 days, and it's not at all uncommon to have to make sacrifices and not be able to take the days off when you want them. There's no turning up late like there is at uni. No switching your hours round. Heck, it's not even the occasional 9am start. It's a rock solid 9am start every single day for most of us.

Most people go to uni for the whole experience, sure they want a degree but they certainly don't lose sleep over it. Many people go regularly clubbing etc. Plus the idea that work finishes at 5:30 and you forget about it is just not true. Some people have to take their work home with them, either because of tight deadlines or stress.
Original post by zero766
The idea that every young person is a student and everybody older is in work is equally laughable.

Just as well that's not what I said then. Majority =/= All.

Nothing to do with spite. It's about equality. What you're saying is almost like labelling an employed person as spiteful because they also want somebody on benefits to have to work for their money.

*******s is it. Saying they shouldn't get as good an education as they could because unrelated work occurs earlier is the petty whining of people who think it's easier to be a student, because they don't remember being one.

17k was a guess. I think it might actually be lower. It's with no doubt not "far higher" than 17k. Are you living on another planet? I guess you're looking at the government statistics. Government stats are designed to make it look like everything is great. Average salary from ONS is calculated via the mean, which means the few people earning ridiculous salaries (into the millions) inflate the lower wages.

Take 10 people for example. 9 are on £18,000 per year. 1 is on £1,500,000 per year as a CEO. Guess what the average is? £166,200. We both KNOW this is complete and utter :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:. Surely you're smart enough to understand that what you've been told in relation to average salaries is a load of rubbish, having read my data above. If not, feel free to reply and I can give you further evidence in the form of web links.

So statistics are a conspiracy if they don't agree with you :laugh: - get tae ****. The average salary is stated as a median, not a mean, which compensates for high values skewing it. The median salary is (or was, circa 2015) £27.5k.

Not at all pointless. You told me that since you've paid huge fees, you deserve to be able to start when you want. In reality, you haven't paid huge fees, you've taken out a loan. A special kind of loan (which would never happen in any other circumstance) where you make such small repayments that the lender will, in most cases, never get most of their money back.

No, it is pointless. You're just moving to "well you pay it over a life-time" as a defence. In reality though, regardless of the cost of a degree students should expect the course to be set up for them to attain as much as possible - that's the main purpose of university. You don't (or at least you shouldn't) be going there for a career in most professions, you should be going to learn the subject and with the cost of a degree, deliberately disadvantaging students from taking advantage of it is even more laughable.

Not sure how old you are but you sound somewhat naive. When you start a job, you can forget 4-5 week holidays. You'll be hard pushed for 20 days, and it's not at all uncommon to have to make sacrifices and not be able to take the days off when you want them. There's no turning up late like there is at uni. No switching your hours round. Heck, it's not even the occasional 9am start. It's a rock solid 9am start every single day for most of us.

Don't patronise me. I'm 23, I've been in work for the past two years and I've got far more free time now than I had at university. Most graduates I know have the same experience - that the work/life balance is far better as a graduate than as a student. I'm able to leave my work at work, I have my weekends free to pursue whatever I want to do.

Most people go to uni for the whole experience, sure they want a degree but they certainly don't lose sleep over it. Many people go regularly clubbing etc. Plus the idea that work finishes at 5:30 and you forget about it is just not true. Some people have to take their work home with them, either because of tight deadlines or stress.

I'm well aware that it doesn't always finish at 5:30, I've done months on end of working 7am-10pm, but for the majority of people and for the majority of jobs, you can leave your work at work at the end of an 8 hour day and just relax at home.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending