The Student Room Group

EPQ help

I've written my essay part for my extended project however I'm unsure if it's too vague/ not a good enough topic
It's an introduction to the muscular system and it's structured into sections of chemicals involved, structures, process of muscular movement, historical discoveries in accordance to muscles, things like that
is this too vague? can anyone offer any advice? any help/advice would be really appreciated
Original post by studystudystudy_
I've written my essay part for my extended project however I'm unsure if it's too vague/ not a good enough topic
It's an introduction to the muscular system and it's structured into sections of chemicals involved, structures, process of muscular movement, historical discoveries in accordance to muscles, things like that
is this too vague? can anyone offer any advice? any help/advice would be really appreciated

Hiya :smile:

An extended project essay is typically done in the form of an essay which explores arguments/evidence, in order to answer a title question (these tend to score more highly than essays which are simply descriptive). From what you've said, your essay seems to be more descriptive as opposed to analytical - is there any way you could change your current title into a question, which you can answer in your essay?
Original post by Leviathan1741
Hiya :smile:

An extended project essay is typically done in the form of an essay which explores arguments/evidence, in order to answer a title question (these tend to score more highly than essays which are simply descriptive). From what you've said, your essay seems to be more descriptive as opposed to analytical - is there any way you could change your current title into a question, which you can answer in your essay?

hi, yes that was one of my main worries
What if I focused my essay more on arguing the importance of muscles and their functions? I could compare the muscular system to other systems ie skeletal/nervous, and argue the importance of muscles for things other than just mobility?
Original post by studystudystudy_
hi, yes that was one of my main worries
What if I focused my essay more on arguing the importance of muscles and their functions? I could compare the muscular system to other systems ie skeletal/nervous, and argue the importance of muscles for things other than just mobility?

I definitely think that would be a good idea, because that would give you an element of discussion. Have you got a mentor you can ask for guidance on structure etc? :smile:
Reply 4
Hi,

I originally did mine on Gene Editing systems, but had to change mine to "Gene Editing: Life Saver or Disease Creator?" To ask a question about whether gene editing should be used in society.

You might need to change your title slightly to make a question out of it (or at least something to investigate properly) but speak to your EPQ supervisor about it first
Reply 5
hi,
i was planning on basing my epq with gene editing as well, i was wondering if you could give me some tips like what kind of things did you talk about in your project? Also did you find this topic difficult ?
Original post by AfcFob
Hi,

I originally did mine on Gene Editing systems, but had to change mine to "Gene Editing: Life Saver or Disease Creator?" To ask a question about whether gene editing should be used in society.

You might need to change your title slightly to make a question out of it (or at least something to investigate properly) but speak to your EPQ supervisor about it first

Hiya I'm also doing mine on gene editing, just wondering how did you start and what types of things are you talking about, would be much appreciated! X

Quick Reply

Latest