The Student Room Group

Subject choices

I'm stuck for choice when it comes to choosing A Level subjects and by the time I do them, they will become linear (no AS) so I have to choose three subjects.
I'm considering: music, psychology, sociology, philosophy.
To put it into context, the possible careers I would like to pursue are: music teacher, SEN teacher, music therapist, composer, sound engineer, music producer.
The GCSEs I'm taking are: music, computer science, Spanish, Polish, core subjects (Eng Lit & Lan, triple science, maths, religious studies). Predicted grades 7-8 apart from Spanish, where I'm predicted 5 and Polish A* (old spec).
For my undergrad degree I'll most likely study music, maybe joined with some other subject.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'd say psychology music and philosophy could be good a levels to take for your career options. Have you thought about a facilitating subject like Biology or Geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fxlloutboyy
I'd say psychology music and philosophy could be good a levels to take for your career options. Have you thought about a facilitating subject like Biology or Geography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had a look at the facilitating subjects and I think it would benefit me more to do maths or physics a level than psychology (you don't need a psychology a level to do it at degree level; you need the maths).
Psychology and Sociology are extremely content-heavy - you'll have to relearn 1st year info for the end of 2nd year. I'm doing this at the moment and there's a lot to learn still! Sociology relies largely on good essay writing skills and psychology is more remembering and regurgitating information. However, that being said, neither subject is particularly difficult and going by your target grades I'd assume you'd be very capable of achieving well in either.
Original post by Zuza K
I had a look at the facilitating subjects and I think it would benefit me more to do maths or physics a level than psychology (you don't need a psychology a level to do it at degree level; you need the maths).

The majority of universities will not ask for a maths a level to do psychology, although will probably ask for a B at GCSE. Maths psychology and philosophy then maybe? You can still do music and drop one after you decide which three to continue with

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by fxlloutboyy
The majority of universities will not ask for a maths a level to do psychology, although will probably ask for a B at GCSE. Maths psychology and philosophy then maybe? You can still do music and drop one after you decide which three to continue with

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like a plan: music, psychology and philosophy.
Although wouldn't sociology be more relevant to my career options than philosophy? But then again sociology is very similar to psychology and I could get them confused. And sociology is apparently a 'soft option'.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah I'd avoid doing both, Psychology will be better. It's literally just learn a theory, the experiment and evaluate it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest