The Student Room Group

Computer notes vs hand written notes

Im not sure which one to use for the sciences - if i had to use it on a computer i would type them up, then learn them using mindmaps and flashcards. is this efficient? Writing by hand may take time as i care a lot about presentation .
Reply 1
writing by hand is more effective for memorising.
Original post by Sammyboy1234
Im not sure which one to use for the sciences - if i had to use it on a computer i would type them up, then learn them using mindmaps and flashcards. is this efficient? Writing by hand may take time as i care a lot about presentation .

i would use computer notes and then rewrite the notes by hand so that all the info
gets into my head - this is what i am currently doing
Original post by Riannnne
i would use computer notes and then rewrite the notes by hand so that all the info
gets into my head - this is what i am currently doing

how is it going for you in terms of your grades?
how is it going for you in terms of your grades?

i have started making computer notes just recently after realising that my
handwritten notes were too messy. but rewriting the notes down into mindmaps or
whatever suits you best will allow you to recall the content. i have used the method of rewriting the info since gcse and it really helped push my grades up.

although it works for general writing I'd say go hand written. Not only does it make it more solid in your head but it's quicker and easier to write equations, draw very rough graphs quickly and will be useful for college and uni too
Original post by Riannnne
i have started making computer notes just recently after realising that my
handwritten notes were too messy. but rewriting the notes down into mindmaps or
whatever suits you best will allow you to recall the content. i have used the method of rewriting the info since gcse and it really helped push my grades up.

Thanks so much - would you consider making typed up notes directly from the specification or textbook/revision guide - what do you use?
I make handwritten notes as it tends to go in better, but then I will eventually type them up. Computer typed notes are easier to amend and way easier to read. I might then amend them by hand and update again on computer. You are talking about science so as said above the equations are probably easier to write by hand.
Guys i think it will be less boring if i typed them up and then rewrite them onto paper to get it into my head. If i wrote my notes onto paper then i would have to rewrite it again to solidify the info and test myself - it will start to be tedious.
What do you guys think?
btw im talking about biology and chemistry - no equations etc; i wont be copying and pasting images as i wont need it
Thanks so much - would you consider making typed up notes directly from the specification or textbook/revision guide - what do you use?

i use a text book and revision guide. i also use a specification to make sure that i include everything i need in the notes.
but first i write rough notes on paper and then i type it up

Quick Reply

Latest