The Student Room Group

Is there such thing as medical school practise for young people?

Hi guys,
I'm new to this website and I've been searching and searching for this question, but I just couldn't find the answer I want. Could you guys help with this question?

Is there such thing as medical school practise for kids around the age of 11?

Thanks guys! xx :h:
Can I also ask: Is this website for adults?? Cos' like I'm only just 12.
Reply 2
The hospital where I work has a sort of 'Careers Day' but this is aimed towards those about to finish high school, although I believe it is open to anybody. Lots of different specialties are on display with interactive demos and the opportunity to speak to various members of staff and departments.

Perhaps contact your local universities/hospitals to see if they do anything similar.
Original post by FutureDoctor12
Can I also ask: Is this website for adults?? Cos' like I'm only just 12.

No. School pupils use it, as well as university students and graduates. :smile:

To answer your question: unlikely, mainly because, under the age of 16, you would be very limited in what you would be allowed to do (page 7, 'What kind of work can students do?'), and with lots of areas of the hospital, it would be deemed inappropriate for someone your age to be spending time there.

It never hurts to ask, but don't be discouraged if there isn't much available for you yet; there will be more opportunities when you're 16+. If you're really keen, there are loads of online resources you could use to learn a bit more about the human body and the sorts of things that go wrong with it. The 'patient' - rather than the 'professional' - pages on patient.co.uk are very informative, and are written in plain English without loads of medical jargon. Might be a good place to start!
(edited 7 years ago)
*pitseleh* thank you so much! :h:

Is there such thing as medical school practise for kids around the age of 11?

Thanks guys! xx :h:

Yes. It's called normal school :p:

But seriously - you're so early you can't possibly know that you want to even do medicine yet. The best thing is to do well in school, and have some healthy out of school interests. At this stage, actually just learning what you enjoy is actually a pretty key priority.
*pitseleh* thank you so much! :h:

No worries. :smile: Nexttime also makes a good point - some people do spend most of their academic lives thinking about Medicine, but I doubt that accounts for the majority of people who end up at med school. Definitely don't allow yourself to mentally close other doors; there may well be something you enjoy much more, and figuring that out is important. I didn't start thinking about Medicine until I was 19 or 20, and didn't start studying it until I was 25. Obviously that's pretty late by most people's standards, but the point remains that you do have a long time to consider your options.
thanks for the website by the way.
its great!
Reply 9
when you're a bit older you can apply to some med summer schools but they're super expensive, so I'd probably just stick to the standard work experience. When you're 16 or 18 (not sure on age limit) you can apply for a part time healthcare assistant job
Thank you all! :smile:
It depends on where you live but some medical schools do widening participation programmes which are great to get on if you're eligible.
BSMS do one called Brightmed which starts in year 9 and you continue until year 12 - you go there a few Saturdays a year and get experience of what it's like to be a med student. Older students teach you some physiology, anatomy and clinical skills - it's super fun!
Go for it! :smile: :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending