The Student Room Group

A-Levels To University - Haven't picked the correct A-Levels... Advice?

The title doesn't really make much sense, so sorry about that.
Anyway, for a while I have always wanted to do Psychology at University and I'm already in Year 12 so I've chosen my A-Levels. But then I realised I may not 100% want to do Psych (again I might).

I am keen on learning languages specifically Russian, Persian and Swedish. I'm starting with Swedish as it's the more easier of the 3. And possible pursuing a degree in one of them.
I have no GCSEs in any foreign language and no a-level subject.

I know I probably will have to take a gap year or maybe a couple of years off, but would it be worth while going to University for Psychology and seeing how that goes or just finish my A-Levels at the end and then doing another a-level in a language? (I have looked at my local colleges but none of them do foreign languages - Birmingham)

Thanks. (:
Original post by Sid The Kid
Anyway, for a while I have always wanted to do Psychology at University and I'm already in Year 12 so I've chosen my A-Levels. But then I realised I may not 100% want to do Psych (again I might).

I am keen on learning languages specifically Russian, Persian and Swedish. I'm starting with Swedish as it's the more easier of the 3. And possible pursuing a degree in one of them.

I know I probably will have to take a gap year or maybe a couple of years off, but would it be worth while going to University for Psychology and seeing how that goes or just finish my A-Levels at the end and then doing another a-level in a language? (I have looked at my local colleges but none of them do foreign languages - Birmingham)

Thanks. (:

A few questions that you need to be very clear on:

Why do you want to study a language at university?

What does studying a language at university involve?

Do you want to do a study Year abroad at all?

Are you doubting psychology only because you want to study a language?

Is studying a alangyage something you can study part time? Out of those 3, my uni only offers Russian as part time courses but that's something most unis offer.
Reply 2

Thanks. (:

What A-levels are you currently doing?

Why do you want to study those 3 languages in particular (at first glance, they seem a slightly random selection...)?

Many universities offer languages courses in addition to your degree. I expect some would offer russian or persian but finding one offering swedish might be trickier to find. e.g. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/lcahm/departments/languages/sections/lfa/iwlp/open/index.aspx (includes courses open to the public).

Also, have you checked out http://www.brasshouse.ac.uk - they offer 30 languages (although it seems none of the ones you are interested in.. but you might be able to request them.)
snip

The good news is that if you do decide you want to do a degree in a language, you don't necessarily need to do an A level in a foreign language because Russian, Persian and Swedish are all offered ab initio (from beginners) at most universities. The bad news is that without an A level in either Russian, Swedish or Persian, you will only be able to study one language at degree level.

That said, having recent language learning experience helps a lot (it can be any language, it does not need to be the one you're applying for). Doing a GCSE in a modern European language would be useful, or you could do online course, either with the Open University, or through a Swedish university (many of whom do free, distance learning modules taught in English). See here: Irish, Welsh, Hindi, Turkish, Yiddish, Russian (via Caucus Studies), Swedish and Chinese. For what it's worth, I got into university to study Norwegian (very similar to Swedish) without a language A level, I did an OU module in French instead.

A lot universities offer Russian but only UCL and Edinburgh offer Swedish, and as far as I know, only SOAS, Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews offer Persian. You could in theory study Psychology at Edinburgh or St Andrews and take Russian, Persian or Swedish as one of your 'outside subjects' (this means you'd study psychology alongside your chosen language for the first two years of your degree, then you could decide either to carry on with psychology or switch and finish your degree in languages instead).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
A few questions that you need to be very clear on:

Why do you want to study a language at university?

What does studying a language at university involve?

Do you want to do a study Year abroad at all?

Are you doubting psychology only because you want to study a language?

Is studying a alangyage something you can study part time? Out of those 3, my uni only offers Russian as part time courses but that's something most unis offer.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
What A-levels are you currently doing?

Why do you want to study those 3 languages in particular (at first glance, they seem a slightly random selection...)?

Many universities offer languages courses in addition to your degree. I expect some would offer russian or persian but finding one offering swedish might be trickier to find. e.g. http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/schools/lcahm/departments/languages/sections/lfa/iwlp/open/index.aspx (includes courses open to the public).

Also, have you checked out http://www.brasshouse.ac.uk - they offer 30 languages (although it seems none of the ones you are interested in.. but you might be able to request them.)

I'm doing Psych, History and Biology.
I've always had a fascination with Russian, but the whole trying to learn a whole new alphabet for a first new language seemed to be going into the deep end too soon, same with Persian. So a more ''easier'' language would hopefully help me.

Thanks for the advice and links, I'll check them out. (:
Original post by Snufkin
The good news is that if you do decide you want to do a degree in a language, you don't necessarily need to do an A level in a foreign language because Russian, Persian and Swedish are all offered ab initio (from beginners) at most universities. The bad news is that without an A level in either Russian, Swedish or Persian, you will only be able to study one language at degree level.

That said, having recent language learning experience helps a lot (it can be any language, it does not need to be the one you're applying for). Doing a GCSE in a modern European language would be useful, or you could do online course, either with the Open University, or through a Swedish university (many of whom do free, distance learning modules taught in English). See here: Irish, Welsh, Hindi, Turkish, Yiddish, Russian (via Caucus Studies), Swedish and Chinese. For what it's worth, I got into university to study Norwegian (very similar to Swedish) without a language A level, I did an OU module in French instead.

A lot universities offer Russian but only UCL and Edinburgh offer Swedish, and as far as I know, only SOAS, Edinburgh, Oxford, Cambridge and St Andrews offer Persian. You could in theory study Psychology at Edinburgh or St Andrews and take Russian, Persian or Swedish as one of your 'outside subjects' (this means you'd study psychology alongside your chosen language for the first two years of your degree, then you could decide either to carry on with psychology or switch and finish your degree in languages instead).

Thanks for the advice and the links, I'll check out them all especially the open university and the Swedish university courses. (:
Reply 7
I'm doing Psych, History and Biology.
I've always had a fascination with Russian, but the whole trying to learn a whole new alphabet for a first new language seemed to be going into the deep end too soon, same with Persian. So a more ''easier'' language would hopefully help me.

Thanks for the advice and links, I'll check them out. (:

What about a degree in Linguistics rather than a specific MML?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending