Edexcel AS Geography New Spec discussion thread Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi how is everyone feeling about the exam? I am confident with the Physical but not as much with Human
a.o
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I've revised Coasts and Tectonics a lot. I've just started revising Globalisation and get this... we still haven't finished Regenerating Places.
sometallchick
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by a.o)
I've revised Coasts and Tectonics a lot. I've just started revising Globalisation and get this... we still haven't finished Regenerating Places.
We never really finished globalisation...
Synonym
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Im really stuck with this new spec exams .....

by the way what case studies are you guys learning for globalisation and regenerating places ?
Synonym
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sometallchick)
Globalization
China open door
India footloose
Disney
McDonald's
Eu/ASEAN trade blocs
Inequalities in Mexico and us from NAFTA
Mexican maquiladoras
Raja plaza collapse
Todmorden transition town
Fair trade
Containerization
India to Middle East migrants
French and us nationalism
Russian oligarchs to London

REGENERATION
London dock lands/Stratford
Kielder
Liverpool
Bronze country
Studentification in Swansea
Cornwall
San Francisco success
Detroit rust belt
Teeside spiral of decline
Darlington commmuter village
Sink estate in Middlesbrough

There are probably more but I can remember those off the tip of my head
oh gosh xD
babymarima
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What case studies is everyone revising for Tectonic hazards and Coastal Landscapes?
Synonym
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by babymarima)
What case studies is everyone revising for Tectonic hazards and Coastal Landscapes?
holderness for coasts..japan haiti for tectonic havent really touched anything else lol
btsseokjin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
do you guys have the exam tomorrow??? how is everyone feeling about the exam?? i know I'm not ready hahaha
username3186450
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by sometallchick)
Globalization
China open door
India footloose
Disney
McDonald's
Eu/ASEAN trade blocs
Inequalities in Mexico and us from NAFTA
Mexican maquiladoras
Raja plaza collapse
Todmorden transition town
Fair trade
Containerization
India to Middle East migrants
French and us nationalism
Russian oligarchs to London

REGENERATION
London dock lands/Stratford
Kielder
Liverpool
Bronze country
Studentification in Swansea
Cornwall
San Francisco success
Detroit rust belt
Teeside spiral of decline
Darlington commmuter village
Sink estate in Middlesbrough

There are probably more but I can remember those off the tip of my head

those are incredible- i only have approx 5. and for physical? is your school ready because we never really finished physical. human was okay for us.
Synonym
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
exam in a few hours...im really worried ahhh
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
How did everyone find that exam?

Personally, the tectonics question was great I compared governance and dev to magnitude and area of extent. Like I suggested that development = better infrastructure, and governance can reduce population density. Then i compared it to how important magnitude and area of extent are. Although i may have got a stat really wrong.

I liked both 6 markers but wrote so much rubbish for coasts 12 and I had no idea what deposition processes are ( I did Wave refraction and LSD)

For synoptic I did the positive and negative contributions of Hard engineering using the source....

If i did bad on this then I guess i am screwed for Human

(Original post by Synonym)
exam in a few hours...im really worried ahhh
(Original post by exams344)
those are incredible- i only have approx 5. and for physical? is your school ready because we never really finished physical. human was okay for us.
(Original post by btsseokjin)
do you guys have the exam tomorrow??? how is everyone feeling about the exam?? i know I'm not ready hahaha
C_Yap
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I found the tectonic questions easy but didn't manage to finish the 12 marker

The coast questions I found harder because I didn't know what depositional processes to put. I basically described constructive waves and wave refraction. I felt like I nailed the 12 marker though

The 16 marker was quite good for me, even though I nearly forgot to look at the source on the back of the booklet

What did you guys put for the 2 other things the student could do for the investigation?

Overall, I felt like I managed my time quite badly

What is an approximate grade boundary for this paper?
btsseokjin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
wow ngl i found it terrible haha
i did tectonic activity and coasts and gosh i failed haha
i missed out the 12 marker for coasts and i found myself just re writing the resource booklet for the 16 marker
and the 6 marker for the tectonic question was terrible haha
Synonym
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
How did everyone find that exam?

Personally, the tectonics question was great I compared governance and dev to magnitude and area of extent. Like I suggested that development = better infrastructure, and governance can reduce population density. Then i compared it to how important magnitude and area of extent are. Although i may have got a stat really wrong.

I liked both 6 markers but wrote so much rubbish for coasts 12 and I had no idea what deposition processes are ( I did Wave refraction and LSD)

For synoptic I did the positive and negative contributions of Hard engineering using the source....

If i did bad on this then I guess i am screwed for Human
that exam went terrible for me..i had no idea what they meant by deposition processes, i start taking about traction etc
C_Yap
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i missed out the 12 marker for coasts and i found myself just re writing the resource booklet for the 16 marker
I only did half of the tectonic 12 marker, and I also rewrote a lot of the resource for 16 marker :/

For the 6 marker though, I think you had to talk about both primary and secondary hazards. I talked about: lava, pyroclastic flow, jokullhaups, lahars, volcanic gases, ash
username3186450
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
is there an unofficial mark scheme for this??
Synonym
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
omg i gave up midway on the 16 marker..i realised i was just re-writing stuff too ...ffs hate that exam..worst thing is i focused so much on this paper i havent even started for paper 2....messed up bigtime
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baaah)
I only did half of the tectonic 12 marker, and I also rewrote a lot of the resource for 16 marker :/

For the 6 marker though, I think you had to talk about both primary and secondary hazards. I talked about: lava, pyroclastic flow, jokullhaups, lahars, volcanic gases, ash
Thats what I did for the 6 marker, and for the coasts 6 marker I wrote sbout geology,defences and wave fetch. I hope I properly explained my points tho

How did you do the 16marker? I basically did pros and cons of the hard engineering using the source
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Baaah)
I found the tectonic questions easy but didn't manage to finish the 12 marker

The coast questions I found harder because I didn't know what depositional processes to put. I basically described constructive waves and wave refraction. I felt like I nailed the 12 marker though

The 16 marker was quite good for me, even though I nearly forgot to look at the source on the back of the booklet

What did you guys put for the 2 other things the student could do for the investigation?

Overall, I felt like I managed my time quite badly

What is an approximate grade boundary for this paper?
For the other 2 things i did "measure beach gradient" "use wentsworth scale"

Also grade boundaries depends on how well people do usally new spec is low in the first year
C_Yap
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
Thats what I did for the 6 marker, and for the coasts 6 marker I wrote sbout geology,defences and wave fetch. I hope I properly explained my points tho

How did you do the 16marker? I basically did pros and cons of the hard engineering using the source
For the 16 marker, the question asked something like 'assess the contribution of hard engineering strategy in protecting venice'

So I did a 1 sentence introduction, and then 2 massive paragraphs. 1 paragraph I said it did have a significant contribution and the other paragraph I said it didn't.

Points I think I wrote:
- Protected tourism industry because flood gates reduce risk of flood, and tourism is Venice's main income, and so has economic value.
- Venice is surrounded by salt marsh, indicating that it's low lying land. Therefore, without floodgates, flood risk will increase and salt marsh will likely be inundated.
- Can potentially protect against tsunamis caused by earthquakes.
- This scheme makes the residents feel more safe. If residents left, tourism will suffer.
I couldn't think of many more points after this.

For the other side, I might have wrote:
- There's evidence that in the past 50 years, Venice has been exposed to earthquakes. Venice lies on a destructive plate boundary, so earthquakes are likely to be strong.
- The hard-engineering only does not protect against effects of the earthquake.
- From the 3rd source, you can see old wood supporting the base of the building. These buildings are likely to collapse during an earthquake.
- Rising sea level, means that the hard engineering scheme may not be sustainable in the future.
- A very strong tsunami caused by earthquake may potentially breach the defence

And then by then, I realised I have 8 minutes to complete the tectonics 12 marker...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?