Murderous assasins Watch

This discussion is closed.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Why are certain people 'murdered', and other people 'assasinated', even if extensionally the two actions could be the same?
Bumblebee3
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Why are certain people 'murdered', and other people 'assasinated', even if extensionally the two actions could be the same?
The term 'murder' is fairly wide. 'Assasination' is particularly associated with the murder of a political/religious or some other kind of leader. Unlawful killings are all murders but they have more specific terms like 'patricide' (to kill one's father) or euthanasia for example.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
The term 'murder' is fairly wide. 'Assasination' is particularly associated with the murder of a political/religious or some other kind of leader. Unlawful killings are all murders but they have more specific terms like 'patricide' (to kill one's father) or euthanasia for example.
Im asking for example, if a politician is killed, it is always an assasination, and not murder.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
Im asking for example, if a politician is killed, it is always an assasination, and not murder.
It could be both depending on whether the victim was a political leader. JFKennedy was assasinated (he was murdered but was also a political leader as was Martin Luthar King). If a lesser politician was killed we would say he was murdered.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
It could be both depending on whether the victim was a political leader. JFKennedy was assasinated (he was murdered but was also a political leader as was Martin Luthar King). If a lesser politician was killed we would say he was murdered.
Not necessarily. Say if Tony Blair went on holiday somewhere, and while he was there he a gang tried to rob him, and ended up stabbing him to death. That would be murder.

I think the difference lies in the motive of the killing. Leaders are assasinated for political reasons, but they could be randomly murdered as well. Also the Mafia and other gangs regularly assasinate key witnesses in trials.
Vin
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Murder relates to the killing of a person, any person. Assassination relates to the killing of a prominent person, say a president of a country or somebody famous.
Bumblebee3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Vin)
Murder relates to the killing of a person, any person. Assassination relates to the killing of a prominent person, say a president of a country or somebody famous.
Not all killing is classed as murder of course. Texas get away with it on death row.
Vin
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Haz)
Not all killing is classed as murder of course. Texas get away with it on death row.
Yeah I know. Killing can also be classed as manslaughter too (killing without malice).

But my main point in my previous post was to distinguish between the types of people killed, where assassination refers to prominent people and murder does not.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads