The Student Room Group

Had a bad car collision help insurance!

Had a car crashI have been involved In a car crash and worried about my insurance going up. My car is bashed in left side at front and undrivable and so is the other car involved.

Auxilis is the repair company ( not insurance) as I am with Hastings direct who told me if I arranged my own repairs say ford garage then my insurance won't be affected but how can this be possible will the other party affected in the collision as their car is undrivable?

I feel really bad after the accident and feel like I can never drive again. It was my fault as give way lines were on my side. The other driver had right of way but I didn't see her. She didn't slow or react but maybe coz she had right of way. I think I'm a walking disaster and should give up driving. Any advice welcome. About insurance what I can do.

I only took up driving for my son who has ASD and he loved this car. He wasn't in it at time of accident and fortunately no one got injured.

I need advice about how to go about it. My insurance company is arranging everything but could I get an estimate from ford? Would it save my insurance? I would however have to cancel insurance repair services. I think my insurance will still be affected as other party will claim. Help appreciated thank you
Original post by Learndriving
Had a car crashI have been involved In a car crash and worried about my insurance going up. My car is bashed in left side at front and undrivable and so is the other car involved.

Auxilis is the repair company ( not insurance) as I am with Hastings direct who told me if I arranged my own repairs say ford garage then my insurance won't be affected but how can this be possible will the other party affected in the collision as their car is undrivable?

I feel really bad after the accident and feel like I can never drive again. It was my fault as give way lines were on my side. The other driver had right of way but I didn't see her. She didn't slow or react but maybe coz she had right of way. I think I'm a walking disaster and should give up driving. Any advice welcome. About insurance what I can do.

I only took up driving for my son who has ASD and he loved this car. He wasn't in it at time of accident and fortunately no one got injured.

I need advice about how to go about it. My insurance company is arranging everything but could I get an estimate from ford? Would it save my insurance? I would however have to cancel insurance repair services. I think my insurance will still be affected as other party will claim. Help appreciated thank you

I suggest you post here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Sorry I cant give you specific advice. Its a no claim bonus, so if no claim is made it should be intact. That said if you ever move insurers, then you will be required to disclose your accident depending how it is worded.. I'm too rusty on my motor insurance, so please ask on MSE on the link above.
(edited 7 years ago)

It's the fact that you've been in an 'at fault' accident which will cause a rise in your insurance premium (and possibly loss of your NCB - was it 'protected'). Where and how you have the car repaired is irrelevant. I'm afraid it's a certainty that your insurance premium will rise.

Just leave the repairs etc up to Hastings - that's why you had comprehensive insurance, after all - to ensure that your car would be repaired in the event of an accident. There's nothing you can do to avoid or mitigate a rise in insurance premium at your next renewal, but shopping around for the best deal will help a little.

Thanks for the link and posting. I have already made a claim as that's what everyone suggested like ford dealer . My instructor. I found the link you provided Very useful as I used the insurance quote link for moneysupermarket.com.
According to the new quote I got It seems like my premium is same or lower than it is currently even by declaring the accident as my fault but I still am a bit sceptical about it. I think I don't know for sure while next year how my insurance will get affected. 😒
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
It's the fact that you've been in an 'at fault' accident which will cause a rise in your insurance premium (and possibly loss of your NCB - was it 'protected':wink:. Where and how you have the car repaired is irrelevant. I'm afraid it's a certainty that your insurance premium will rise.

Just leave the repairs etc up to Hastings - that's why you had comprehensive insurance, after all - to ensure that your car would be repaired in the event of an accident. There's nothing you can do to avoid or mitigate a rise in insurance premium at your next renewal, but shopping around for the best deal will help a little.

Hey thanks for contributing. It wasn't protected as Hastings have said I will lose my NCD. I wish I had looked into that at the time but insurance was skyhigh as Im a new driver.
So I am buggered now but I have got quotes from money supermarket pretending I want to make a claim and declared accident as my fault and the quotes are the same what I paid one was even bit lower so I have a bit of hope now. 🤗 Even though still can recall the collision and feel like a muppet. If I do drive again will be definitely more observant at give way lines.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
It's the fact that you've been in an 'at fault' accident which will cause a rise in your insurance premium (and possibly loss of your NCB - was it 'protected':wink:. Where and how you have the car repaired is irrelevant. I'm afraid it's a certainty that your insurance premium will rise.

I agree
Hey thanks for contributing. It wasn't protected as Hastings have said I will lose my NCD. I wish I had looked into that at the time but insurance was skyhigh as Im a new driver.
So I am buggered now but I have got quotes from money supermarket pretending I want to make a claim and declared accident as my fault and the quotes are the same what I paid one was even bit lower so I have a bit of hope now. 🤗 Even though still can recall the collision and feel like a muppet. If I do drive again will be definitely more observant at give way lines.

Well, that's positive at least! Maybe the fact that you're one year older and have one year's experience has at least mitigated the worst of the premium rise - sort of meant you're back where you started.

Don't beat yourself up about having a crash - and I hope you do have the confidence to drive again.
Hey thanks for your encouragement I feel a lot better now. I have two months experience of driving alone since passing feb 17. Insurance wise I shall be zero years in a year but I suppose I will get over it you then and a better driver hopefully. :smile:
Hope your having a lovely easter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending