My housemate won't pay TV licence but watches iPlayer in his room

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Bertey
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I live with 3 others and we didn't previously have a TV or a license, but a new housemate brought a TV that he and i use only for apps (iPlayer, Netflix). When the rules changed so that a license is needed to watch iPlayer, i decided to take the risk and carry on watching without a license. But one day, a few months ago, one of the longstanding housemates stormed in and yelled 'YOU KNOW YOU NEED A LICENCE TO WATCH IPLAYER NOW? WE ALREADY HAVE A LETTER THE TV LICENCE PEOPLE- NO MORE RISKS!". I suggested we could all buy a licence and he said "but i don't want to live in a house with a TV!" I'm actually sub letting from this guy, so after this I felt that i had no choice but to buy a TV licence if i wanted to remain in the house and still watch TV. So i reluctantly paid for the whole thing myself. The new housemate later paid half back so that he could watch too.

My problem is that the housemate who yelled at me recently got back from a couple of months away and i think he's watching iPlayer in his room. I could hear what sounded like a BBC programme when I walked past his room the other day. Then he left for a weekend away, asking me just as he left if i would look after his cat (happens a lot). I was a bit ****ed off and his computer was left on standby so i opened his web browser history and saw that at the time i thought i heard BBC it was actually YouTube, but he was also watching iPlayer at other times every day since his return.

I'm really mad since i only bought the licence due to his demands and now he's secretly watching iPlayer without paying. But I'm scared to say i saw his browser history because he might kick me out. What do i do????
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bertey)
I live with 3 others and we didn't previously have a TV or a license, but a new housemate brought a TV that he and i use only for apps (iPlayer, Netflix). When the rules changed so that a license is needed to watch iPlayer, i decided to take the risk and carry on watching without a license. But one day, a few months ago, one of the longstanding housemates stormed in and yelled 'YOU KNOW YOU NEED A LICENCE TO WATCH IPLAYER NOW? WE ALREADY HAVE A LETTER THE TV LICENCE PEOPLE- NO MORE RISKS!". I suggested we could all buy a licence and he said "but i don't want to live in a house with a TV!" I'm actually sub letting from this guy, so after this I felt that i had no choice but to buy a TV licence if i wanted to remain in the house and still watch TV. So i reluctantly paid for the whole thing myself. The new housemate later paid half back so that he could watch too.

My problem is that the housemate who yelled at me recently got back from a couple of months away and i think he's watching iPlayer in his room. I could hear what sounded like a BBC programme when I walked past his room the other day. Then he left for a weekend away, asking me just as he left if i would look after his cat (happens a lot). I was a bit ****ed off and his computer was left on standby so i opened his web browser history and saw that at the time i thought i heard BBC it was actually YouTube, but he was also watching iPlayer at other times every day since his return.

I'm really mad since i only bought the licence due to his demands and now he's secretly watching iPlayer without paying. But I'm scared to say i saw his browser history because he might kick me out. What do i do????
If you re subletting from this guy I wouldn't kick up a fuss over it and perhaps next year suggest that he should purchase one with you
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
the rules are that unless everybody is on one tenancy agreement (subletting isn't that) everyone must get there own tv licence.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
You paid the TV license.. just LOL.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bertey)

You can raise the issue with him if you must but its going to cause an argument that will sour the house. I dont think its worth it.

You also snooped on his PC and that is well out of order.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Bizarrely, it is perfectly legal to watch iPlayer without a TV licence so long as you are doing it on a device that is entirely battery powered at the time (i.e. not plugged into the mains). I don't know why this is legal, but I double-checked it with TV licencing and they confirmed that it was correct. I suspect they would like it kept quiet, and may get around to changing it eventually, but for now, this is the way to go!
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pangol)
Bizarrely, it is perfectly legal to watch iPlayer without a TV licence so long as you are doing it on a device that is entirely battery powered at the time (i.e. not plugged into the mains). I don't know why this is legal, but I double-checked it with TV licencing and they confirmed that it was correct. I suspect they would like it kept quiet, and may get around to changing it eventually, but for now, this is the way to go!
Wth

That's crazy lmao.
Pangol
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Wth

That's crazy lmao.
Agreed. But it is true! Here is part of an email reply I got when asking about this last October;

"Thank you for your recent email. A television licence is required if a person installs or uses a television receiver at an address. The licence covers the named licensee and members of their family living together at the single place stated on the licence. Students living away from home during a period of full-time education will need their own licence. This applies to students living in Halls of Residence or in private accommodation.

The only exception to this rule concerns the use of wholly portable television sets. If the set is powered solely by its own internal batteries, it will be covered by the licence held for the student's parents address. However, if the set is ever used with an external power source, a separate licence will be needed. The types of receiver which require licence cover include TV set, Digital box, DVD or Blu Ray recorder, Computer.

If you use a Laptop/Tablet or Mobile phone and it is not plugged in to the mains (charging) then a licence will not be required. If you send me your University address including any room numbers I will set up a 'No Licence Needed' claim to stop you getting any unwanted letters. I hope I have been able to explain the situation and thank you for taking the time to contact us."
stu.dying
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Agreed. But it is true! Here is part of an email reply I got when asking about this last October;

"Thank you for your recent email. A television licence is required if a person installs or uses a television receiver at an address. The licence covers the named licensee and members of their family living together at the single place stated on the licence. Students living away from home during a period of full-time education will need their own licence. This applies to students living in Halls of Residence or in private accommodation.

The only exception to this rule concerns the use of wholly portable television sets. If the set is powered solely by its own internal batteries, it will be covered by the licence held for the student's parents address. However, if the set is ever used with an external power source, a separate licence will be needed. The types of receiver which require licence cover include TV set, Digital box, DVD or Blu Ray recorder, Computer.

If you use a Laptop/Tablet or Mobile phone and it is not plugged in to the mains (charging) then a licence will not be required. If you send me your University address including any room numbers I will set up a 'No Licence Needed' claim to stop you getting any unwanted letters. I hope I have been able to explain the situation and thank you for taking the time to contact us."
This is very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Moonstruck16
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Are you the same guy who ratted his flatmate out for smoking weed?
Luke7456
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I wont be paying for a TV licence when I move out. I have no need for Iplayer unless they start saying you need a TV licence for Youtube Netflix and Amazon prime I think that would be the final straw and result in me leaving this country.

Although I already plan to anyway.

I am sure Theresa May would be distraught calling a crises meeting with tears rolling down her cheeks discussing how they could persuade me to stay. Newspapers would turn up to interview me on mass and the uncertainty would boost the price of gold.

Okay so no one would actually give a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent: if I left I know that but just saying I dont want to remain in a country where we are forced to pay money to what is effectively a PR machine for corrupt foreign interests. We should not be made to pay for the BBC its an absolute outrage.
Fadel
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Mind your own business. He's reponsible for his actions, not you, and he's not watching your TV either. The fact that you opened his computer, and then the browsing history is just too much.

These goddamn "right and lawful" snitches man...
doodle_333
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
If he paid his part you'd get £25 from him (each) - is it really worth an argument/potentially getting kicked out for £25? Just let it go.
ANM775
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hayyz91)
the rules are that unless everybody is on one tenancy agreement (subletting isn't that) everyone must get there own tv licence.
are you sure about this?

I was renting a room for a couple of months last year in a house. There was a TV downstairs [provided by the landlord]. 5 separate people were renting. I don't remember paying any TV licence to watch TV.

I paid like £390 a month bills included. I can't remember if it said TV licence included but can't remember anything mentioned about TV licence.

I definitely never separately paid for one

were we all watching TV illegally? ?
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ANM775)
are you sure about this?

I was renting a room for a couple of months last year in a house. There was a TV downstairs [provided by the landlord]. 5 separate people were renting. I don't remember paying any TV licence to watch TV.

I paid like £390 a month bills included. I can't remember if it said TV licence included but can't remember anything mentioned about TV licence.

I definitely never separately paid for one

were we all watching TV illegally? ?
If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room
Each tenant needs their own TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This licence will also cover communal areas.
If you have a joint tenancy agreement
One TV Licence may cover the whole house.
However, there may be other reasons why you need your own separate licence, such as whether or not you have exclusive access to a toilet or washing facilities. If you are unsure whether this applies to you please contact us(in step 2 of the form click the 'Contact us' button at the bottom) to find out more information.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...d-lodgers-aud2
need urgent help
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Really that's amazing. Thank you for the input
drbluebox
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Actually that is a half truth, its intended for people who for example go on holiday in a caravan its just bad wording, students would be classed as living away from home so therefore counts away from home in the same as a holiday would be.

IF your parents didn't own a license it would still be illegal.

Bad wording yeah.
Bertey
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Hayyz91)
If you have a separate tenancy agreement for your room
Each tenant needs their own TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel or device, or to download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer. This licence will also cover communal areas.
Thanks for this, I never considered that different tenancy agreements would make a difference to the tv licensing requirements.

So my licence wouldn't cover him in his room anyway - he's not using my tv licence for free, he's just watching without one (after yelling at me for doing the same). I'm sure he wouldn't know this either or he would have said so, but in any case if he's just being hypocritical but not actually cheating me out of money then I don't care.
The Empire Odyssey
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Just for clarification, since getting a TV licence, have the company been to your house?

We got LOADS of letters about it. They said they would come on multiple dates but they never literally came into our house. We assumed that they just parked near or by our house so we didn't watch anything on iPlayer for a week. Never got caught.

However, they sent us a recent letter saying if we don't have a TV licence by today, they'll be fining us... Luckily, I've moved out so I don't need that hassle.

But again, I guarantee it's just a threat and nothing will happen. Nothing ever does.

Also, I perhaps would have a quiet word with the guy - just saying you didn't appreciate him telling you off if he's going to watch iPlayer and not pay towards the TV license. But, I guess you should perhaps figure out if he watches anything on demand on a regular basis. It could have been a one off? If it's several times a week, about over 4-5 hours, then I say he should chip in.
TommyCov
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Fadel)
Mind your own business. He's reponsible for his actions, not you, and he's not watching your TV either. The fact that you opened his computer, and then the browsing history is just too much.

These goddamn "right and lawful" snitches man...
Lool trust me! If I found out somebody was going down my laptop i'd go crazy. Leave the god damn boy alone, its his choice.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads