The Student Room Group

St Andrews Vs Edinburgh

(edited 3 years ago)
IR at St Andrews is second to none. The course is absolutely fantastic!
Original post by Calllu-m
IR at St Andrews is second to none.

I wouldn't say that. :tongue: Cambridge, LSE, Aberystwyth and possibly KCL could give St Andrews a run for its money. And Edinburgh's Politics/IR course looks pretty good, too. Perhaps you could tell the OP a little about what it's like living in St Andrews as that seems to be one of their main concerns?

@Kraken713 St Andrews has a very good reputation for IR, but in terms of overall general reputation, there's really no difference between Edinburgh and St Andrews. Employers are not that interested in where you studied, your grades and work/internship experience are more important. I suggest you look carefully at the modules offered at both universities and see which look more interesting, and if you still can't decide, go with where you will be happiest living - location is an important factor too!
Original post by Snufkin
I wouldn't say that. :tongue: Cambridge, LSE, Aberystwyth and possibly KCL could give St Andrews a run for its money. And Edinburgh's Politics/IR course looks pretty good, too. Perhaps you could tell the OP a little about what it's like living in St Andrews as that seems to be one of their main concerns?

Fair enough on LSE. I'd dispute Aberystwyth, and Cambridge on the basis it's part of the HSPS degree, so isn't as tightly focused. KCL is fantastic for War Studies, I'm doing my masters there, but the IR degree is relatively new. Living in St Andrews is great for your first two or three years, as everything's close, you can see your friends with relative ease and there's a huge range of events every week from balls to fashion shows. By fourth year you do start to get very weary, but I'd imagine that's the same at any uni, regardless of location. A lot of people counteract this with doing a year abroad. The IR department has tonnes and tonnes of options, from South Korea to Singapore and Australia, as well as lots in Europe. @Kraken713
Original post by Kraken713
Can I ask whether you intended to study in a small place before firming st andrews? Like did you apply to other smaller places like Durham etc?

I did apply to Durham, but I also applied to Edinburgh, which was my insurance choice on UCAS. I'm from a city, so wanted a change. I'd have gone to Edinburgh if I hadn't got into St Andrews.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending