The Student Room Group

New calculator for 2017 syllabus

Hi

I don't know anything about the new syllabus so I bought the AQA book for year 1. It's full of "try this out on your calculator" I've been debating whether or not to buy a cg20. Having borrowed one it looks overkill but it seems that this is what schools recommend (I'm an independent learner so don't have to buy a particular variety)

This is information I got from an MEI website

Ofqual's subject-level conditions and requirements for Mathematics and Further Mathematics state that calculators used must include the following features:

an iterative function

the ability to compute summary statistics and access probabilities from standard statistical distributions

the ability to perform calculations with matrices up to at least order 3 x 3 (FM only)

The minimum standard for this is an advanced scientific calculator, such as the Casio 991EX ClassWiz or the TI-30X Pro; however, graphical calculators have this facility along with the additional advantage of being able to plot the graphs of functions.

I've looked at videos on the 991ex and it looks OK and manageable plus much cheaper. There's no ability to draw graphs but I can do that on my computer so I don't see it as a problem.

My question is, then, will a 991ex be fine or do you think I'll regret not buying the cg20 some time in the future?

Thanks
Reply 1
umm buy both of them :tongue: if u have one then it's better to get the other one too
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sayema1
umm buy both of them :tongue: if u have one then it's better to get the other one too

I have neither of them. I have an fx-991ES but it can't do Binomial Distribution values - I had to use tables in my exam. So I need a new one.

Buy both! Have you seen the prices? No, that is not an option but thanks for your input all the same.
Reply 3
Original post by maggiehodgson
I have neither of them. I have an fx-991ES but it can't do Binomial Distribution values - I had to use tables in my exam. So I need a new one.

Buy both! Have you seen the prices? No, that is not an option but thanks for your input all the same.

lool okhay sorry xD
Reply 4
Hi

I don't know anything about the new syllabus so I bought the AQA book for year 1. It's full of "try this out on your calculator" I've been debating whether or not to buy a cg20. Having borrowed one it looks overkill but it seems that this is what schools recommend (I'm an independent learner so don't have to buy a particular variety)

Ofqual's subject-level conditions and requirements for Mathematics and Further Mathematics state that calculators used must include the following features:

an iterative function

the ability to compute summary statistics and access probabilities from standard statistical distributions

the ability to perform calculations with matrices up to at least order 3 x 3 (FM only)

The minimum standard for this is an advanced scientific calculator, such as the Casio 991EX ClassWiz or the TI-30X Pro; however, graphical calculators have this facility along with the additional advantage of being able to plot the graphs of functions.

I've looked at videos on the 991ex and it looks OK and manageable plus much cheaper. There's no ability to draw graphs but I can do that on my computer so I don't see it as a problem.

My question is, then, will a 991ex be fine or do you think I'll regret not buying the cg20 some time in the future?

Thanks

Are you in Y11?

It's probably best to wait until you start A Level and your teacher should tell your what type of calculator you need. Your teacher may require students to have a graphics calculator in lessons and also your textbook may refer to a graphics calculator.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi

an iterative function

Thanks
The Casio cg20, IMHO, is overkill and expensive.

Calculators drop in price as new models come to market. By the time (if and when) you may need a higher specification, you will most likely find a better calculator for less than the difference between the 991 and the cg20.

As others have said, wait until you get to A-level and go with your teachers recommendation.

Personally, I'd go with the lower priced model and save yourself nearly £100 and you also won't be so worried about losing or damaging it.

(I still use my Casio fx3500p and also have my first ever calculator fx39 and Faber-Castell slide rule! These is the days when we had to use tables for trig and logs!!!!)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by notnek
Are you in Y11?

It's probably best to wait until you start A Level and your teacher should tell your what type of calculator you need. Your teacher may require students to have a graphics calculator in lessons and also your textbook may refer to a graphics calculator (most of the official textbooks haven't been released yet so it's hard to know if this will be the case).

No, I'm not in school. I'm an independent learner so not tied to any particular calculator. Also, not being in school and having tried to use a cg20, I'm not going to get any instruction on how to use it. I'm not going to take any exams - I'm mathing for fun.
Reply 7
No, I'm not in school. I'm an independent learner so not tied to any particular calculator. Also, not being in school and having tried to use a cg20, I'm not going to get any instruction on how to use it. I'm not going to take any exams - I'm mathing for fun.

Oh okay then there's no need for you to get a graphics calculator. You can do the same things on your computer.
Original post by notnek
Oh okay then there's no need for you to get a graphics calculator. You can do the same things on your computer.

Oh Well. I didn't know that. Thanks for that info, I'll begin to see what I can find re Binomial Distribution and Normal Distribution.
Original post by uberteknik
The Casio cg20, IMHO, is overkill and expensive.

Calculators drop in price as new models come to market. By the time (if and when) you may need a higher specification, you will most likely find a better calculator for less than the difference between the 991 and the cg20.

As others have said, wait until you get to A-level and go with your teachers recommendation.

Personally, I'd go with the lower priced model and save yourself nearly £100 and you also won't be so worried about losing or damaging it.

(I still use my Casio fx3500p and also have my first ever calculator fx39 and Faber-Castell slide rule! These is the days when we had to use tables for trig and logs!!!!)

Not in school.. It sounds as if we might be of the same era. I too had to use six figure tables and a slide rule (unique universal 1) but I've forgotten how to use that.

Thanks for your insight. You sound as if you know what you're doing.
Hi

an iterative function

Thanks

The Casio 991EX does everything you need. You don't need a graphical calculator - several suppliers are strongly suggesting you will need one as they stand to make £££ if they convince people that this will be the norm.
Original post by Mr M
The Casio 991EX does everything you need. You don't need a graphical calculator - several suppliers are strongly suggesting you will need one as they stand to make £££ if they convince people that this will be the norm.

Thanks. I think I'll be going with the 991ex. I'll do some of the stats work from the book (no normal distribution in yr 1!) but as MEI also suggest it I suppose it must do the trick. I'm hardly likely to be needing most of the bells and whistles on the cg20.
Thanks. I think I'll be going with the 991ex. I'll do some of the stats work from the book (no normal distribution in yr 1!) but as MEI also suggest it I suppose it must do the trick. I'm hardly likely to be needing most of the bells and whistles on the cg20.

The best price I have seen is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Casio-FX-991EX-Scientific-Calculator-FX-991-EX-New-552-Function-Classwiz-/311400567241

Hi

It said that they were almost gone. I tried to buy one. I got a reply saying they were out of stock. But how kind of you to have let me know of the cheap price. I don't suppose another bargain like that will come along. Ah well, that's life.
Hi

It said that they were almost gone. I tried to buy one. I got a reply saying they were out of stock. But how kind of you to have let me know of the cheap price. I don't suppose another bargain like that will come along. Ah well, that's life.

I expect that they will have stock again soon.

Of course, if you're not planning on doing an exam you don't really need a calculator at all, what with Desmos and WolframAlpha etc.
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

Of course, if you're not planning on doing an exam you don't really need a calculator at all, what with Desmos and WolframAlpha etc.

Well, that is true but I do like to do maths on holiday. Other people like to do crosswords or read but I do maths for entertainment so I think I'll get one anyway.
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

How silly, It told me they had none after all but when I looked on my email one has been dispatched. Roll on 16th May! It's coming from Australia.

Quick Reply

Latest