ace-master
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
why is the mass of a nucleus less than the mass of the separated protons and neutron from which the nucleus is composed?

Answer
It's because the some of the energy used is converted to mass.

Is my answer right?
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ace-master)
why is the mass of a nucleus less than the mass of the separated protons and neutron from which the nucleus is composed?

Answer

Is my answer right?
If I were an examiner I'd want more elaboration to be honest, you've got to discuss where the energy that would have been this mass has gone, or discuss the mass defect and binding energy, that sort of thing. That's what I reckon at the least.
ace-master
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Callicious)
If I were an examiner I'd want more elaboration to be honest, you've got to discuss where the energy that would have been this mass has gone, or discuss the mass defect and binding energy, that sort of thing. That's what I reckon at the least.
would this be better?

some of the energy (mass) be used to overcome the strong nuclear force that is trying to hold them together. After the fission reaction the binding energy per nucleon increases so the nuclei is more stable now. and the mass defect woud be equal to the mass of the constituents - the mass of the nucleus.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
would this be better?

some of the energy (mass) be used to overcome the strong nuclear force that is trying to hold them together. After the fission reaction the binding energy per nucleon increases so the nuclei is more stable now. and the mass defect woud be equal to the mass of the constituents - the mass of the nucleus.
With respect to your first question, I reckon the top sentence is great, however you're focusing on fission and not including fusion! Fusion also increases the binding energy per nucleon in general.

During binding work must be done to overcome the strong nuclear forces of the atomic constituents, alongside the electrostatic repulsion due to these constituents, and this work is equivalent to the binding energy.

That's the phrasing straight from the repository that is my head. For the reasoning behind why the mass defect increases...

During fission and/or fusion, the binding energy per nucleon increases, and this results in more energy released when the atomic constituents form the new nuclei, resulting in a higher energy required to split the new nuclei, and hence resulting in a larger mass defect for the products involved.

There's some other phrasing. That's just the physics behind it though, you'd need to form that in to the answer you desire.
Cerdic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Answer

Is my answer right?
This should be the opposite way round. The individual particles have more mass which is converted to energy.
Mortyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In order to separate one nuclei to two, you have to do work on the particle to overcome the strong nuclear forces. This means energy is put into the nuclei, and in accordance to E=mc^2, there must be a change in mass. If energy is absorbed by the nuclei, there will be an increase in mass. This means that the two new nuclei have a larger mass than the original nuclei.

In terms of binding energy, Uranium will have a higher binding energy than Tellurium, Zirconium and 4 neutrons. This means when Uranium splits, energy is released, and this released energy means there's a change in mass (E=mc^2) known as the mass defect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (299)
84.23%
No (56)
15.77%

Watched Threads